RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

tjsupe

Dec 31, 2007, 1:42 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Hangboard positioning
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Quick question about putting up my hangboard:

First off I cant put it over a doorway so I am forced to use a wall in my garage but I dont want it directly on the wall because I wouldnt be able to work out correctly that way. I want to build some sort of extension off the wall with some plywood attached so I can bolt the hangboard to it.

Has anyone ran into that same problem and what were your solutions?

I am thinking of attaching 2x6 nailers to the studs of the garage wall. Then attaching a perpendicular 2x6 to the nailer and have another 2x6 angled from the stud of the wall back to end of the 2x6, creating a 'V' type of bracing. I would use to of those and attache the plywood to that.

My other thought it some sort of angle iron, simlar to what is used in building a shelf on a wall. I dont think that will be strong enough, though.

Hope that wasnt too confusing.

bmike

Dec 31, 2007, 2:04 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tjsupe] Hangboard positioning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you'd probably be better off hanging some 2x6 straight down from the ceiling rafters or joists. trying to create a shelf will require some strong connections as the angled part back to the wall will go into tension when you hang... if you go this route i'd use some all thread or flat metal for this connection - and bolt it tight and with plenty of extra room to the end of the wood.

wood is not great in tension - you'll need proper end distance to your connectors if you 'hang' anything that takes a significant live load. this is increased the further from the wall you want to hang - that lever arm can start to do significant work...

if you do angle back, try setting it up so the angle is below the shelf - this will put the framing in compression.

(This post was edited by bmike on Dec 31, 2007, 2:05 AM)

jto

Dec 31, 2007, 3:35 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bmike] Hangboard positioning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

and... make one you can tilt too. it gives you a lot of good workouts as easy holds become very hard.

limeydave

Dec 31, 2007, 8:27 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Put mine above a closet door in the spare bedroom, backed with plywood.

gobennyjo

Dec 31, 2007, 8:32 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about above the door to the garage and just open the door when you work out

bmike

Dec 31, 2007, 9:44 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gobennyjo] Hangboard positioning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gobennyjo wrote:
What about above the door to the garage and just open the door when you work out

maybe on an outswing or inswing door, but it probably won't work on overhead doors. in my experience there's no room between the way the door rolls up and the area to access the framing...

tjsupe

Jan 1, 2008, 1:38 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1421 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bmike] Hangboard positioning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bmike wrote:
gobennyjo wrote:

maybe on an outswing or inswing door, but it probably won't work on overhead doors. in my experience there's no room between the way the door rolls up and the area to access the framing...

This is the same problem i am currently having too. I cant do a full pull up without hitting my head on the garage door sliders.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook