Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

fulton

Dec 31, 2007, 9:37 AM
Post #26 of 27 (199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] How is this rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

steady climber wrote:
I have a partner who feels that replacing the rope is the proper thing to do.
csproul wrote:
if I retired a rope every time it looked like that, I'd be buying a new rope every week. I don't buy a new rope every week.

First off, you could simply climb on your partner's rope, and if he doesn't own a rope, then I'd say its pretty obvious that he doesn't have enough experience to lay claim to any real opinion.

Secondly, its always nice to replace a rope before its something absolutely necessary. I like to keep a rope for top-roping and cleaning routes that is not my good lead line.

As far as what else an aged climbing rope or a chopped rope might be good for; I'm a big fan of shorty ropes for shorty climbs and gym climbing. If I'm going to a crag with 40 foot climbs, I don't need a 70 meter rope, and shorty ropes fit much better in my backpack for the bike ride to the climbing gym.
Also, chopped lengths of rope are great for building tree anchors for descents and other such business.

Basta916

Dec 31, 2007, 10:10 AM
Post #27 of 27 (192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fresh] Hows this rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

fresh wrote:
Basta916 wrote:
usually I'm an ass... but I'll try to be serious...

When climbing, if there is anything that makes you wonder if its good or not good ( rope and other gear that your life is hanging on).... REPLACE IT...so by asking this question, you are in doubt if that rope is OK, You know what you should do....
you'll spend a fortune replacing gear if you have this mentality. a majority of that gear will still be perfectly usable. it's better to use your brain. or someone else's.

not sure how you are reading my post.
Just to make it clear. during my first replay there was no picture of the rope in question. All I said was that when in doubt of safety, it is better to replace it than feeling unsure in your equipment. Picture was attached at his second post. But that does not make a difference.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook