Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

zwillia1

Dec 31, 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #1 of 38 (7511 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in College
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello everyone,

So recently, due to the rising cost of higher education (which is a soapbox waiting to happen), I've been contemplating transferring away from my current school, Ithaca College. Problem is, I definitely want to be near some really pristine climbing, and I want a school with a climbing community. Any college users on RC.com have any suggestions for me? I'm a double major in history and anthropology. Let me know if anyone has a thought.

Zach

tradslc

Dec 31, 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #2 of 38 (7498 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zwillia1] Climbing in College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what i believe the first best college climbing institution in the country, or as some would argue is second best to boulder, is the university of utah in salt lake city with little cottonwood canyon and big cottonwood canyon only 20 minutes away it has everything from hard sport to old school trad......also it is central to eveerything the creek, st george, and great bouldering are all just a weekend trip, it has everything and the out of state tuition is pretty cheap.

mchristi

Jan 1, 2008, 1:13 AM
Post #3 of 38 (7461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I suggest considering Southern California. It has some beautiful climbs with a lot of diversity in the rock. Depending on what you feel like climbing and where you live, you can get to a crag in 10 to 30 minutes or drive a few hours to arrowhead or jtree. I go to USC and we have a decent little climbing community that boulders regularly at our humble wall in the gym and goes outdoors every weekend. I hear that most of the local schools have roughly the same groups. Almost all of our gear is provided by our university funding, so we got that going for us.

As far as other schools, I'd recommend Pepperdine (beautiful campus, close to the coast with good surf, and right on the edge of malibu state park), or UCSB (great bouldering, even better surf), or UCLA (it kills me to recommend it, but I often go over to their bouldering wall when I feel like changing up my indoor routine because it trumps USC's facilities).

I believe UCLA and UCSB are public schools, so if you can get residency in CA it will be more affordable.

Oh yeah, it doesn't snow in LA... so theres that too. And USC is going to the ROSE BOWL!!! WOOOO!

Thats my two cents, hope it gives you some ideas.

gt29905

Jan 1, 2008, 2:02 AM
Post #4 of 38 (7432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to stay in the East then you should check out Appalachian State.

rogue10186

Jan 1, 2008, 2:35 AM
Post #5 of 38 (7414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mchristi] Climbing in College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea Well LSU IS GOING TO THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Sorry, I had to... but you guys definitely kick the crap out of us when it comes to geography... climbing is nowhere near here... bouldering is about 6 hours away, and anything sport or trad is at least 8 hours away. Since I like climbing with a rope, well then that means I've got a long drive.

Good luck in the Rose Bowl though.

(This post was edited by rogue10186 on Jan 1, 2008, 2:39 AM)

watchme

Jan 1, 2008, 4:12 AM
Post #6 of 38 (7380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fort Lewis College - Durango, CO.
Montana State U. - Bozeman, MT
Univ. of Wyoming - Laramie, WY

Unsure of the anthro programs (I studied mathematics, and am currently working on a PhD in Stats at UW), but the climbing is pretty good at all places. Let me know if you want me to elaborate.

Also, I worked at a really good community college, Northwest College in Powell, WY. Cody, WY is only 25 miles away, and has some good climbing (especially ice, just amazing.) Great ww boating, mtn biking, nordic skiing. Man, I miss Cody.

escalabrasil

Jan 1, 2008, 5:19 AM
Post #7 of 38 (7345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Colorado College- CO
Lots of strong climbers, great location and, best of all, the block program- meaning you get a 4 or 5 day break every three and a half weeks to do whatever you want.
Man, I wish I had gone there...
But my actual school, University of Puget Sound is not bad either. The weather is the only problem. (It's in Tacoma, WA)

zwillia1

Jan 1, 2008, 7:22 PM
Post #8 of 38 (7310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mchristi] Climbing in College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thank all of you for the tips, im looking around right now, trying to figure out how to get myself out of debt and still climb hard. but mchristi, there is no way i can go to USC. there is only 1 organized sport that i care about. college football. and there is only 1 team i care about. NOTRE DAME. meaning- we'll see about UCLA ;)

mistajman

Jan 1, 2008, 8:16 PM
Post #9 of 38 (7282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on what type of climbing you want to do.

University of Wyoming is really good for trad climbing, and has a little bit of sport close by also.

Brevard College or somewhere near Ashville, NC also have tons of climbing close

petsfed

Jan 1, 2008, 8:21 PM
Post #10 of 38 (7275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [watchme] Climbing in College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

watchme wrote:
Fort Lewis College - Durango, CO.
Montana State U. - Bozeman, MT
Univ. of Wyoming - Laramie, WY

Unsure of the anthro programs (I studied mathematics, and am currently working on a PhD in Stats at UW), but the climbing is pretty good at all places. Let me know if you want me to elaborate.

Also, I worked at a really good community college, Northwest College in Powell, WY. Cody, WY is only 25 miles away, and has some good climbing (especially ice, just amazing.) Great ww boating, mtn biking, nordic skiing. Man, I miss Cody.

The anthro dept is pretty good at UW. The history program is pretty decent too. I've got ex-girlfriends from both programs. As far as public research institutions, the University of Wyoming consistently ranks as one of the best values (not just cheap, but high quality too) in the country. Even out of state tuition is cheap (I pay about 8 grand a year with no scholarships to speak of) and if you're not a complete waste of brains, you qualify for quite a few scholarships.

There are 4 or 5 downsides to Laramie though: December, January, February and March. Sometimes November too. There's no ice within easy driving distance, and not much good skiing within easy driving distance, and its waaaay too cold for rock during those times. Still, its a good place and if you get finished in a timely fashion, you'll probably enjoy yourself.

shockabuku

Jan 1, 2008, 9:11 PM
Post #11 of 38 (7250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Univ. of New Mexico in Albuquerque. Bouldering in a place or two around town, great trad in the Sandia's right on the edge of town, some good but short sport up there too at Palomas, Big Block just down the street from that, some good sport routes in Socorro about an hour south, as well as up in White Rock about an hour north. Diablo canyon with a mix up near Santa Fe, boulering in the Jemez mountains about 45 min. north. A little farther (~3 hrs.) you've got Los Conchas (sport), El Rito (mostly sport, a little trad), and Tres Piedras (trad) to the north, The Enchanted Tower (great sport) to the South and much more. Great little climbing community within the university itself and also in town based out of Stone Age gym (great gym, pretty good sized). Albuquerque supposedly has a pretty good party life (not my thing) but a somewhat high crime rate and bad drivers. It's a significantly different culture to the rest of the country.

If the winter is good there's skiing in the Sandia's on the edge of town and up in Santa Fe. Farther north at Taos is some of the best resort skiing I've ever seen, and also Angel Fire, Sipapu (small but cheap), Pajarito (at Los Alamos) and a little farther to Durango and Wolf Creek (best snow in Colorado).

But most everything takes some driving.

Grahamelot

Jan 2, 2008, 3:09 AM
Post #12 of 38 (7175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

San Antonio, TX. University of Texas has a satellite school in San Antonio. College is about 1 hour from Enchanted Rock, not to mention Hueco. Lots of good boulders close-by too.

Oh yeah, 150 ft + significant bouldering wall (our wall features a natural texture...cracks, ridges, corners, etc. so our wall is a lot more fun than your everyday plywood.) is included FREE with your tuition. Yeah. Rentals (everything from shoes, pads, packs, and bags to you name it - whisper lights etc.) are free. Pretty schnazzy deal.

I think I pay about $5000 for tuition/books per semester.

clamber

Jan 2, 2008, 7:17 AM
Post #13 of 38 (7121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had taken a hiatus from climbing until I recently relocated to Birmingham, Al to start school at University of Alabama Birmingham. There's a surprisingly great climbing community here as well as enough climbing available. The primary thing that's revived my involvement is the climbing wall at the rec center on campus(its free for students). I also live less than ten minutes from a boulder field called Moss Rock Preserve. Horse Pens 40 is about an hour drive away. For higher walls you have to drive about 2 hours to Sandrock or Griffin Falls. A littler further to Little River Canyon. There's quite a bit more within the 4 to 6 hour range..eastern Tennessee, western GA.
I know very little about the Anthropology and History depts at UAB other than that they do offer those as a major. UAB holds a reputation as more of research institution and med school than it does as an undergrad destination. That's gradually changing though.

climbsomething

Jan 2, 2008, 7:36 AM
Post #14 of 38 (7113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Grahamelot] Climbing in College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To the OP: If the cost of tuition is what's making you consider a change, why don't you go to a public state school and pay in-state tuition? I see that your school charges $28,000 a year for tuition, so sure, going to a school like University of Arizona will save you $12,000 even as an out of state student. But $16,000 is still an exorbitant amount of money, frankly. Wouldn't it make the most sense to go to a public state school and pay in-state rates? If you're a resident of New York, CUNY or SUNY would cost a lot less than any out of state school you'd transfer to. And SUNY has a New Paltz campus, if you really think climbing is so important that you're basing a major decision like college around it.

Grahamelot wrote:
College is about 1 hour from Enchanted Rock, not to mention Hueco.
I hope you're not trying to say San Antonio is an hour from Hueco. I guess, if one can drive 500+ miles in an hour.

zwillia1

Jan 2, 2008, 1:37 PM
Post #15 of 38 (7078 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Climbing in College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, unfortunately, im a resident of Massachusetts, not new york. and i'm not a massive fan of the public school system here in the bay state. question though- does anyone know anything about climbing in Virginia? When i first applied to schools, i really wanted to go to James Madison University, and now i have the grades to transfer there. this site lists a couple of places, anyone know anything about the area around harrisonburg?

bigfatrock

Jan 2, 2008, 2:12 PM
Post #16 of 38 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see you are from NY. Can you not go somewhere in state and save money on tuition? That will definitely be your cheapest option. Is there any colleges close to the gunks?

zenelky

Jan 2, 2008, 2:20 PM
Post #17 of 38 (7056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say that UT Chattanooga is one of the best. I know it's not one of those western schools where there are a plethora of 5.15 climbers laying on every couch. But the Chatty area has, as far as I know, the highest concentration of unclimbed rock in the continental U.S. Plus, the weather down here is good for climbing all year. Try to climb in WY or Colorado in January. YOU CAN HERE WITHOUT BUYING ICE GEAR! There is sandstone, limestone, and granite all within driving distance (some closer than others) and everything you could want climbing wise; easy and hard sport, easy and hard trad, multipitch. No big walls, but you'll stay busy without them.

Plus, it's a public school so it's cheap and the Chatty/Huntsville area is growing rapidly so once you graduate (I know you don't want to think about it) it has got a wide variety of good jobs and a LOW cost of living. I don't know how the academics in those departments rank, but I assume that it can be no worse than Mississippi State University's rankings in Mathematics *joke*

And just FYI, if you want to climb, you will find a way. I just graduated from Mississippi State University and went climbing every weekend and climbed inside almost every week day. So where there's a will there's a way.

~Mic

fortenrob

Jan 2, 2008, 2:45 PM
Post #18 of 38 (7045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to school at Montana State University, in Bozeman. There is a really good climbing community here, supportive and fun. About 5 good quality crags less than 30 min away from the town. Good limestone sport and high quality trad lines all around the town. Also great skiing at Bridger bowl and Big Sky.

The school is technical and laid back. I enjoy it very much, nice profs. State prices and quite generous in scholarship offerings.

All in all I am very happy here, particularly from a climbing perspective.

Ice climbing is also world class. If you have a question PM me.

ant_zacchino

Jan 2, 2008, 3:22 PM
Post #19 of 38 (7029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out SUNY New Paltz... Not an amazing school, but you would only be a bike ride away from the Gunks!

justroberto

Jan 2, 2008, 4:13 PM
Post #20 of 38 (6996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Harrisonburg is kind of a shithole (no offense to anyone who loves it - to each his or her own), but there is rock around there. Old Rag and Seneca/Nelson Rocks have the best local climbing (both within 1 1/2 drive). For sport, Franklin is your best bet at about an hour away, and then there are a handful of smaller crags/boulder fields real close to JMU such as Second Mountain, Hidden Rocks, Hone Quarry and Rum Run.

Then, of course, there's the New just over three hours away...

petsfed

Jan 2, 2008, 6:33 PM
Post #21 of 38 (6943 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zenelky] Climbing in College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zenelky wrote:
I would say that UT Chattanooga is one of the best. I know it's not one of those western schools where there are a plethora of 5.15 climbers laying on every couch. But the Chatty area has, as far as I know, the highest concentration of unclimbed rock in the continental U.S. Plus, the weather down here is good for climbing all year. Try to climb in WY or Colorado in January. YOU CAN HERE WITHOUT BUYING ICE GEAR!

First, the three states with the most unclimbed rock per square mile are Utah, Wyoming, and Alaska. California and Montana round out the top five, nudging Colorado out, but just barely. It is a simple matter of access that prevents Alaska from getting heavily developed, and most everybody's too busy with the well known locations in UT and WY (especially WY) to go look for what's there.

Second, there is plenty of good climbing in both WY and CO for all year. Sinks Canyon, for instance, is spectacular in winter, by virtue of Killer Cav.e being a solar oven. I've had bluebird days in every month of the year in Eldorado Canyon, and quite a few somewhat chillier but otherwise worthwhile days in December, January, and February all over the Front Range. I decided to get into ice climbing not so I could climb all year, but because I felt that I was missing out on the spectacular ice lines by climbing rock all the time.

clemsonscooby

Jan 2, 2008, 6:43 PM
Post #22 of 38 (6932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mistajman] Climbing in College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mistajman wrote:

University of Wyoming is really good for trad climbing, and has a little bit of sport close by also.

I second those N.C. schools

justroberto

Jan 2, 2008, 7:11 PM
Post #23 of 38 (6913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clemsonscooby] Climbing in College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clemsonscooby wrote:
mistajman wrote:

I second those N.C. schools
How about that little land-grant university in the NW corner of SC?

zwillia1

Jan 3, 2008, 6:58 PM
Post #24 of 38 (6845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Climbing in College [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks again guys. its a tough decision, obviously. it means changing a lot of things up- especially since i need to go to a school that will push me hard. thats one reason im looking at JMU, because its a really good school academically. to try to combine a great academic school with cheaper tuition is a tough thing to do. add climbing in and you have only a handful of places. thanks for taking the time. if anyone attends any of these schools and could tell me a little about the community on campus (of climbers especially), that would be awesome.
thanks again guys.
zach

iwasasportweenie

Jan 3, 2008, 7:58 PM
Post #25 of 38 (6817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to toss a couple more out there - I'm not sure about the academics - Plymouth State in NH is 15 minutes from Rumney, less than an hour to Cannon Cliff, an hour or so to Cathedral and Whitehorse ledges at Mt. Washington. Less than two hours from Pawtuckaway in Southern NH. University of New Hampshire is still within easy striking distance of these same areas (2 hours or less to each), and the academics are probably better, though you won't be able to pop over to Rumney for a couple hours after class every day. And NH is great if you're into ice, too. Good climbing communities at both schools.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook