RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

couch

Jan 13, 2008, 3:27 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2471 views)
Shortcut

7 months sport climbing in South America
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

right, heres the story, planning to travel to south america for 7 months with a friend. will be heading to all the obvious sport climbing areas in each country, but also doing some sightseeing as well. going to venezuela, ecuador, peru, bolivia, chile, argentina, and brazil.

has anybody undertaken a similar adventure?

keen to know what gear to take, should I take my own rope for example? or best to hire when out there, or is it easy to meet people and borrow?

Do you recommend hiring climbing guides? or just best to research and go on your own? or meet groups going?

Do many of the climbing areas have accommodation, showers, etc or is camping more common?

Any advice on how best to travel around, best strategy for accommodation, gear, meeting people, what the essentials, health and safety risks, would be most appreciated.

Not asking much then!

Cheers
Couch

lofstromc

Jan 13, 2008, 4:21 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2460 views)
Shortcut

Re: [couch] 7 months sport climbing in South America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've rock-climbed a little in Bolivia and only in a few places, so I am not all-knowing. The majority of the developed climbing areas seem to be in Oruro, Cochabamba and La Paz. Look on this sites database and get some contacts through there. The guy Marcelo who updates the pages and lives in Santa Cruz has beta for Santa Cruz and was pretty friendly to me when I emailed out of the blue and arranged to climb with him.

I would recommend you take your own gear. Why would you ever trust another persons rope or gear? The few climbers I did meet in Bolivia said gear was hard to find and expensive.

La Paz may have guides and services, but make sure you tell them you are looking to sport climb, not do any of the peaks. The services they offer seem geared towards mountaineering and not just rock climbing.

Good luck and if you find stuff in Bolivia, please update the dbase.

Biabou

Oct 11, 2013, 4:41 AM
Post #3 of 3 (311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [couch] 7 months sport climbing in South America [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Couch
Did you ever go on your 7 month trip to South America?
I'm going to Brazil next year and then Patagonia and was planning to spend about 6 months just climbing there, but i'd be on a budget, so I'd be happy to get any tips on the climbing spots worth visiting and costs (looking for long multi-pitch climbs and maybe some mountaineering).
Appreciate any help!
Cheers

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook