Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Callahans, Limited Access?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jimdesh

Sep 6, 2007, 12:30 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2186 views)
Shortcut

Callahans, Limited Access?  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Southern_Oregon: Callahans)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi - I followed the directions that are posted here to check out Callahan's climbing...when I arrived it was posted by weyerhauser logging company- the worlds largest maker of paperbags (recycle/ or buy canvas bags, before the rest of Oregon is cut down). I drove to the locked gate and found no trespassing painted on the gate....whats the deal, can I go there on foot? Am I at the wrong place? Any help would be much appreciated, only here for another month, would love to check it out...thanks-Jim

herbaltee

Sep 6, 2007, 1:27 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jimdesh] Callahans, Limited Access? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry for the confusion mate, the land at the Callahans is owned by Wayerhauser. But the access is open for climbers. I should have made it clearer.
So you park your car by the gate, but not in front of it. There should be a decent pull out (because Wayerhauser needs to be able to open and close the gate) or just park next to the road.
Then you walk in from there. The climbers trail is really easy to follow. Have fun, its great out there!

iching

Jan 23, 2008, 6:32 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [herbaltee] Callahans, Limited Access? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Saturdays and Sundays, the Gates and driving access are generally open between the beginning of hunting season to about the middle of March.

During this period the gates are usually open during the week days as well, but Weyerhauser security has been asked to keep people out during the work days. I know from experience they are good at keeping people out during week days.

Except for weekends during hunting season, the 3/4 mile walk in is a relaxing 45 minute hike out of the valley fog.

Another heads up is sometimes you will find the lower gate closed and not locked. As long as it is on the weekend before the middle of march I've continued through and parked on top without issue. And sometimes you will find the lower gate locked but the upper gate has always been open during this period.

Most importantly, even if it is your first time to the Callahans and you have the opportunity to talk with security, the watchman, or someone from Weyerhauser go out of your way to do so and leave a positive impression. Let them know your there to climb.

Once the sun has been out 3 days finding dry rock is a sure bet. The area that will dry first are Lizards Ledge on Double Chocolate, Denial Wall on Mind Planet, Cosmos and the South Wall on Fantasy Island (fastest assess if you are walking in is to hike to the road above Mind Planet the walk the ridge top road to the Fantasy Island trailhead).

This time of year the foggier it is in the valley the warmer and sunnier it will be at the Callahans. It is not uncommon to find it 45 to 55 degrees in the valley and 70 degrees at Lizards Ledge.

reverse_dyno

Jan 23, 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jimdesh] Callahans, Limited Access? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just walked. It takes about 30-45 minutes with a gain in elevation of 800 feet. Then you do not have to worry about the gate being locked when your car in on the wrong side of it:). A few years ago when I was climbing there a few times a month on summer weekends I never ran into security people. Maybe they have increase the security since I was last there.

Or since I walked to the climbing area, none of the guards ever knew I was there.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook