Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Who climbs out here?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

USnavy

Jan 26, 2008, 2:29 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2946 views)
Shortcut

Who climbs out here?  (North_America: United_States: Hawaii: Oahu: Mokuleia_Crag)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Who all goes out here other then me?

mtengaio

Mar 30, 2008, 9:03 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Who climbs out here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How many days a month can you climb at The Moke or anywhere on Oahu for that matter? I grew up there years ago and know that the mountains are always covered in rain clouds – especially the mauna side.

It's cool to see that climbing is being pursued there more and more lately. I can't think of a better place to live when you have surf, sand, and now climbing! Right on brah!

USnavy

Apr 3, 2008, 5:42 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtengaio] Who climbs out here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Generally speaking the main climbing area receives the least amount of rain of any area on the island. Also generally speaking you can climb as soon as 6 hours after a rain fall here because the rain on the cliffs seems to evaporate reasonably quickly. In the last five months I was able to climb about 95% of the times I wanted to. And in addition there are routes that are almost always dry so even if it is raining you can still do some climbing (as long as you can climb a 5.10).

mtengaio

Apr 3, 2008, 7:34 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How many routes are in the 5.11-5.13 range at The Moke? We are planning on a family trip to Oahu next March and certainly plan on checking out this wall. Climbing in the islands…choice!

USnavy

Apr 3, 2008, 9:19 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably about 20. However be advised that the grades are slightly sandbagged. Most people from the mainland rate the routes one grade harder (i.e. a 5.10b would be a 5.10c on the mainland) so if you normaly climb 11's you may have fun on some of the harder 10's. Most of the routes in the 11 - 13 range are face and dihedral climbing. Most routes in the 5.8 - 5.10d range are crack and dihedral climbing.

mtengaio

Apr 3, 2008, 9:29 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just out of curiosity, who bolted the lines and rated them? Someone that climbed elsewhere before establishing those lines? Did you put them up?

I'm always interested to hear how an area became discovered and established, especially over there where there isn't much history of technical rock climbing.

USnavy

Apr 4, 2008, 3:02 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I do not know who put up all the original routes. Many were put up well before my time here. However some of the newer routes were put up by the owner of the local climbing shop here on the island. He knows the original ascensionest of most if not all of the routes. The routes are accurately rated in refrence with each other (i.e. a route that is harder then another route will be rated as being such). From what I am told by most mainland climbers the routes are rated one grade easier then they are (i.e. a 5.10d would be a 5.11a on the mainland). I feel the routes are accurately rated in reference with the areas I have been climbing on the mainland. The routes are intelligently bolted with bolts placed in areas that offer good clipping stances and reasonable spacing over difficult areas. The routes here are bolted more intelligently then any place I have been climbing.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Apr 4, 2008, 4:17 AM)

hawaii_climbing_guy

Sep 14, 2008, 9:11 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, you want to talk about ratings?!?!

I just got back to my new place in norther Virginia from climbing at Seneca Rocks, WV, one of the most notoriously sandbagged places in the US. Supposedly, they just ended up grading differently here because it's so far from the Yosemite "reference climbs", but... I climbed a 5.9 yesterday ( on top-rope because the pro sucked! ) called "Unrelenting Verticality" which was comparable to "Spice" or "All it's Cracked up to be" or "Funkey Monkey" (all 5.10). It was totally um... vertical... and unrelenting, yeah! Tough ****er!!!

By the way, Seneca totally kicks ass, except when you climb past a swarm of hornets. I climbed "Tomato" today: two pitches of class Seneca 5.8 goodness!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$174.56 (10% off)
$16.42 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)
$62.06 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook