RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

arp30

Oct 22, 2002, 6:44 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2276 views)
Shortcut

Mountain Clothing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm getting into mountaineering and need some advice on some clothing. Fleece top/jacket, shell top and bottoms, gloves and liners. What kind of regular pants work well? Fleece? Any suggestions on any of it? I really don't know.

punk

Oct 22, 2002, 6:57 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2276 views)
Shortcut

Mountain Clothing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

try the Patagucci catalog to see the Idea of layering and then buy the less hip clothing systems...also get the Twight book he have a whole chapter about the subject and then some

bradhill

Oct 22, 2002, 7:39 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get non-skid pants. Slippery gore-tex shell pants are a ticket to ride on big snow slopes. This is a lot of fun if done on purpose (I bring em along for summer snowfields) but not if you just slip.

sentinel

Oct 22, 2002, 8:28 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ArcTeryx SHELLS. The best piece of water proofing money can buy. If I didn't have my shells (jacket and pant) on some of my winter ascents I'd be soaking f*-*ing wet.

I also where a N.Face down (700) under my shells. This allows for stripping down layers to avoid over heating.

mainline

Oct 23, 2002, 5:12 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like Punk said, read Mark Twight's book Exteme Alpinism. It is oriented toward the experienced alpine climber, but it is chock full of good advice on every aspect of mountaineering.

coconutz

Oct 23, 2002, 6:01 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reading Twight will give you some good ideas. If you don't already have clothing (good thing) it is easy to build a "system". My sugestion would be to buy a new "Soft Shell", almost everyone make atleast one now. Pay attention to the Malden Powershield v/s Sheoller (sp?) fabrics. Both work, I just like the Sheoller fells when it's on and it seems to snag less, maybe it's me. These jackets and pants/bibs are great for 9-10 on the mountain. The tenth day (bad weather) you should be in a tent or on your way down b/c of the weather. The soft shells are wind proof snow proof (they don't leak while sitting in snow or getting snowed on) and they breath better than a standard laminate like Gore-tex or whatever.
You can buy your uner-roos from almost any manufacturer and get good quality (I'm of course talking about the brands everyone is thinking about: MTN Hardwear, Tnf, PGucci, Smartwool etc). Then you wear the soft shell stuff.
The last layer is your "hard shell" jkt/ pants. These should be some kind of burly laminate fabric. These should be worn when you expect it to be very nasty out (on your way down) or very "rough" when you migh come into contact with sharp stuff that could cause the soft shell to snag rip etc.
Second you should buy the lightest hard shell you can find, and it doesn't have to be gore-tex, althought it doesen't hurt. Many companies have new proprietary(sp?) laminates that cost WAY less than gore-tex and are just as water proof and almost as breathable (you'll never know the difference), the biggie the cost.

and you should be ready to go. You may want to buy a down parka/jkt for really cold stuff and some insulated pants also for really cold stuff. But the above list will get you most anywhere comfortably and can double as you ice/mixed get up (should you do that sort of thing )

Companies to look at:
1:Arc'Teryx-have soft shell down to a science offer 3-5 jkts and 2 bibs. and they now have the lightest 3 ply gore-tex jacket in the world, the Sirrus Sl 13oz, way light.
2:SD-peak bagger jackets are great and made of a laminate, plus they have a soft shell called the Black Ice, very nice
3:TNF-3 soft shells using the Scholler vector 1 and 2 and the thermal and they make a vector two bib and vector 1 pants.
4:Mtn Hardwear- I know they make it, I personally can't stand the company so I don't keep up with it, but they make good stuff.
5:Patagucci-as always they make rockin' stuff, any of the H2NO stuff is good and the new soft shell stuff is great
6:Marmot- ATV jacket and pants and the sharp point jkt are very cool soft shell stuff. The new Liquid steel jkt is the cat's ass as far as I'm consernerd.
and you get the point.....I could go one for a lot longer, look around and you can find some good deals.
good luck

[ This Message was edited by: coconutz on 2002-10-22 23:03 ]

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook