Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Sardinia in Marts
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

bothomsen

Feb 2, 2008, 8:36 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3700 views)
Shortcut

Sardinia in Marts  (Europe: Italy: Sardegna)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi
I am going on my first trip ever, and are going to camp in Isili - Sardinia. in mid-late marts.
i have climbed indoor for allmost a year now and climb 6a-6b+ / 5.9-5.10d

i would like some info about some good areas and lines to climb.
i have found some info here on rc and some on rockfax to. i will print them - to bring'em(later).

and what about trad routes ? we would like(me/my partner) to do a few days using nuts and friends. are there some info on these routes to?

and what about the local guide "pitre de luna" is it worth the money? or should we just buy the rockfax mini's
we are renting a car, so other areas can be visited too.

(This post was edited by bothomsen on Feb 2, 2008, 8:40 PM)

thomasribiere

Feb 3, 2008, 4:59 AM
Post #2 of 8 (3687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bothomsen] Sardinia in Marts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No trad line in Isili. There might be a few in Sardinia, but forget about it, it's a sport climbing area, though you'll find some boulders if you want.

"Pietra di Luna" is an excellent climbing guide and is worth the expense. The drawings are good, there's a lot of useful infos in it. Don't hesitate.

Isili has plenty of 5.10 / lower 6 routes, all on an excellent pocketed limestone. Follow your instinct, follow the sun : March might be a bit "cold", and maybe humid, but if the sun shines, it will be perfect.

stevecurtis

Feb 3, 2008, 5:38 AM
Post #3 of 8 (3685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I spent three climbing trips on sardinia. Two trips of great weather, one bust. Yes, petra di luna is a good guide book. My favorite climb was the 400 ft spire by the ocean. Any route to the top is at least 11A with run-out 5.10. Wolfgang Guillich is another great climb and not that commiting.
The lines are fantastic, and the scenery absolutely first rate. The limestone itself tends to be sharp, and not as nice as French areas. I always stayed in Cala Gazone. A couple of families own most everything, and you can get good deals on lodging. We once stayed in a "Bedsit" on a cliff over the ocean. about $35 a night.

thomasribiere

Feb 3, 2008, 6:27 AM
Post #4 of 8 (3679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stevecurtis] Sardinia in Marts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stevecurtis wrote:
I spent three climbing trips on sardinia. Two trips of great weather, one bust. Yes, petra di luna is a good guide book. My favorite climb was the 400 ft spire by the ocean. Any route to the top is at least 11A with run-out 5.10. Wolfgang Guillich is another great climb and not that commiting.
The lines are fantastic, and the scenery absolutely first rate. The limestone itself tends to be sharp, and not as nice as French areas. I always stayed in Cala Gazone. A couple of families own most everything, and you can get good deals on lodging. We once stayed in a "Bedsit" on a cliff over the ocean. about $35 a night.

You must talk of the Aguglia di Goloritze (Goloritze needle). The OP only spent one year indoor, so I'm not sure he could do anything on it...

or Cala Gonone?

(This post was edited by thomasribiere on Feb 3, 2008, 6:30 AM)

bothomsen

Feb 4, 2008, 2:38 AM
Post #5 of 8 (3658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for your responses.
first i think we will skip the trad gear, second well i think the 5.11's will be a bit hard. maybe lucky to redpoint a 5.11a but beyond that it's above my abbilities so far.
and 5.10 runout... na not yet :-)
thanks for the info about the "pie..d luna", i'll buy it then.

but are are really looking forward for 8 days of just climbing.
thanks

(This post was edited by bothomsen on Feb 4, 2008, 2:40 AM)

Partner tisar

Feb 4, 2008, 3:06 AM
Post #6 of 8 (3655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bothomsen wrote:
thanks for your responses.
first i think we will skip the trad gear, second well i think the 5.11's will be a bit hard. maybe lucky to redpoint a 5.11a but beyond that it's above my abbilities so far.
and 5.10 runout... na not yet :-)
thanks for the info about the "pie..d luna", i'll buy it then.

but are are really looking forward for 8 days of just climbing.
thanks

Skip the trad gear and spare it for granite elsewhere. Sardinia is quickdraw-land (though of course there's a bunch of trad in the north). Cala Gonone would be the climbers centre of Sardinia, you might at least visit Cala Fuili (Cala Luna is supposed to be more beautiful but too hard for the grades you mentioned). Check the route db, I added a lot of routes in your range.

Have fun!
- Daniel

bothomsen

Feb 5, 2008, 2:25 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tisar] Sardinia in Marts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tisar wrote:
Skip the trad gear and spare it for granite elsewhere. Sardinia is quickdraw-land (though of course there's a bunch of trad in the north). Cala Gonone would be the climbers centre of Sardinia, you might at least visit Cala Fuili (Cala Luna is supposed to be more beautiful but too hard for the grades you mentioned). Check the route db, I added a lot of routes in your range.

Have fun!
- Daniel

thanks a lot, i'll check the areas you mentioned.
i "preciate"...( are glad for) the info and advice.
bo

bothomsen

Mar 10, 2008, 2:34 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi
so How is the weather there? arriving saturday :-) for 10 days of climbing :-)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$13.46 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)
$76.46 (10% off)
$89.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook