Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
AZ sport climbing (pref phoenix)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

nplattii

Feb 6, 2008, 6:54 PM
Post #1 of 14 (5493 views)
Shortcut

AZ sport climbing (pref phoenix)  (North_America: United_States: Arizona)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What are the best places to sport climb in AZ. I will be in the Phoenix area and would like to stay there but am willing to day trip. I will be with a group of people who range from 5.7 to 5.10d. Thanks for the help

climbsomething

Feb 6, 2008, 7:22 PM
Post #2 of 14 (5483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nplattii] AZ sport climbing (pref phoenix) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What time of year?

sonso45

Feb 8, 2008, 3:25 PM
Post #3 of 14 (5457 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] AZ sport climbing (pref phoenix) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Time of year is important, if during cool weather, Queen Creek is great. I recommend the Pond, Atlantis, Mine area and Lower Devil's canyon. All are reasonably easy to reach. Marty Karabin has pamphlets available at his shop in Phx Rock Gym. Jack's Canyon is good when it's a tad warmer but a long road trip, 3 hrs from town. Mt. Lemmon is great and only 1.5 or so hours away, get EFR's guide, Squeezing the Lemmon.

chillipphi

Feb 8, 2008, 3:27 PM
Post #4 of 14 (5455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was down in Phoenix over Christmas break and made a day trip out to Queen Creek. There are pamphlets with directions and route descriptions/topos available at REI and probably other local climbing shops. We went to the area called the pools (or ponds something like that) and it was awesome. Super cool volcanic pockets. There are climbs from 5.6 on up through 5.insane so you should be able to find something. The setting was amazing as well. Well worth the hour 1/2 in the car to get there. If you want more specifics about what we climbed PM me, I'll have to ask my climbing parter to check out the guide we picked up. Can't remember all the names off the top of my head.

Phil

nplattii

Feb 8, 2008, 7:02 PM
Post #5 of 14 (5446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i appreciate the help. we are planning on going during spring break. i figured queen creek would be the place to go i just didn't know if there were other places. thanks for the input

lvpyne

Feb 10, 2008, 8:07 PM
Post #6 of 14 (5406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For Spring Break, Queen Creek is a good option. So is Jack's Canyon and Mount Lemmon (especially Prison Camp area). Depending on your tolerance toward cold, The Pit (in Flagstaff) might be a good option as well.

HairSnakes

Feb 12, 2008, 7:20 PM
Post #7 of 14 (5354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

If your interested in having a guide to Queen Creek check out http://www.getagripguides.com. They know the area inside and out.

-Will

sketchy1

Feb 12, 2008, 7:58 PM
Post #8 of 14 (5342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HairSnakes] AZ sport climbing (pref phoenix) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

HairSnakes wrote:
If your interested in having a guide to Queen Creek check out http://www.getagripguides.com. They know the area inside and out.

-Will

Are you insured? AMGA certified?

ggranquist

Jan 1, 2010, 2:13 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3901 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by ggranquist [In reply to]
Report this Post

sidepull

Jan 1, 2010, 2:53 PM
Post #10 of 14 (3886 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ggranquist] AZ sport climbing (pref phoenix) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ggranquist wrote:
PHOENIX MOUNTAIN PRESERVE (40th and Shea) is my best kept secret if you like to get away from people in the city and get your climb on. You go south of shea park in the parking lot and look to your right. You'll see 4 main peaks with great lines. Camelback mountain is good, but there often is a lot of people. I will often start climbing and hear people talking saying,"oh that guys crazy. He's gonna fall." That doesn't really help when your 40 feet off the ground and are trying to keep a strong state of mind. Around squaw peak there is some good climbing. The best bouldering is the boulders by papago parks and the zoo. Also a very good climb is the big mountain around 20th st. and thunderbird. That is also my best kept secret. If any one wants to free solo with me hit me up at diabetichumphrey@yahoo.com. Im a 23 years old Pothead. I go 2-3 times a week and know of some really good lines to boulder and free solo. No I don't use ropes it takes the fun and spiritual experience out of it.

I hope you post a lot while you're still with us. Classic stuff!

2psyched

Jan 1, 2010, 5:32 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] AZ sport climbing (pref phoenix) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Best kept secrets. That is just awesome. Classic.

To the OP: It sounds like the place you want to go is QC. The pond is a nice spot for a couple of days climbing in the 5.10 and easier range. Also easy to find, park, and is a 5 min walk from your car and 45 min from Tempe driving. Marty Karabin's pamphlet guides are perfect for someone just in town for a couple of days. You can find them at REI, Climbmax gym, or Phx Rock Gym (all in tempe or Az on the Rocks (in Scottsdale).
If temps have started to rise (QC will be pretty close to the same temp as phx) Jack's will be perfect over spring break. Burton's guide is also available at all of the afore mentioned places for about $20. Jack's is about 2.5 hours north of phx and considerably cooler.
There are of course many more places but for a short visit and your ability range I would recommend these 2 spots.

billl7

Jan 1, 2010, 5:54 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ggranquist] AZ sport climbing (pref phoenix) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting ... recycling another old AZ thread.

mistajman

Jan 1, 2010, 7:47 PM
Post #14 of 14 (3812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HairSnakes] AZ sport climbing (pref phoenix) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

HairSnakes wrote:

-Will

Its cool you are trying to start a guiding business, but do you know anything about permits, insurance, regulations?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook