Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Indoor Gyms:
Shirtless and barefoot in the gym...why?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Fenst

Feb 7, 2008, 5:21 AM
Post #1 of 76 (17974 views)
Shortcut

Shirtless and barefoot in the gym...why?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not to be a homophobe or germophobe but why do people walk around shirtless and barefoot at my climbing gym? I have had ringworm before and I don't want it agian. Patrons at my gym workout in the weightroom portion of my gym possibly infecting everything they touch with bacteria and fungi. I'm sure the staff at my gym never sanitizes the weight benches, chairs, benches, ect. at my gym with TCM or bleach spray. Maybe if dudes wore shirts other than boys (small) shirts they can hit the cross over crux of the boulding problem they are working on. Its winter in Ohio and the gym stays cool so why? I'm not trying to start a flame match here so just put your shirt on and keep your worm/rash to yourself....GYM OWNERS/MANAGEMENT needs to be a little more pro-active before they get slapped with a lawsuit or worse, loss of members. In a family atmosphere why would you want to stroll around with you shirt off anyways....sick. You would never see a person in a YMCA or Bally's fitness center walking around with their shirt off or barefoot. I'm sure there is more sweating and warmer atmosphere in those types of gyms and you don't see it...ever. BTW, outdoors, do what ever you want. I can't see myself catching your ringworm out there. Again, I am not starting a flame match so no need to flame trolls.Tongue

vegastradguy

Feb 7, 2008, 5:36 AM
Post #2 of 76 (17964 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Fenst] Shirtless and barefoot in the gym...why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mostly because its muggy and hot in climbing gyms due to the nature of the place they cant use A/C- more humidity=harder to keep your cotton shirt on and stay comfortable while working out.

that, and i'm way too lazy to spend money on dedicated workout clothing.....

dingus

Feb 7, 2008, 5:54 AM
Post #3 of 76 (17928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Shirtless and barefoot in the gym...why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They want to be bred by 'members' of the same sex of course.

But you knew that.

DMT

powair

Feb 7, 2008, 6:17 AM
Post #4 of 76 (17904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Shirtless and barefoot in the gym...why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

its hot in there...shirt off...climbing shoes are not always the most comfy things to walk around in or belay in. get over it.

Partner angry

Feb 7, 2008, 6:28 AM
Post #5 of 76 (17892 views)
Shortcut

Re: [powair] Shirtless and barefoot in the gym...why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone who thinks they need to deshirt at a climbing wall is only doing it to be seen without a shirt at the climbing wall.

A cotton, poly, or wool T-shirt isn't going to make a damn bit of difference and you know it.

I'm not saying that the shirtless dude should be forced to put his shirt on, I don't want that, only because then the sports bra woman might also be forced to put her shirt on and that's not OK.

Lets just be clear that it is a style, "look at the sex I exude" thing rather than any sort of edge or comfort.

As to barefeet, I lifeguarded barefoot at muggy little indoor pools and never got ringworm, that place was essentially foot juice. I'm not too worried.

tallsailor

Feb 7, 2008, 7:01 AM
Post #6 of 76 (17867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I happen to sweat beyond belief, and trust me, sometimes not wearing the shirt makes a world of difference. As far as the barefoot goes, that can just be a lifestyle. I seldom wear shoes, anywhere, when there's not snow on the ground. I don't like them, they're uncomfortable and my feet sweat at least as much as the rest of me so when I keep them in shoes they get REALLY stinky. Yes, a lot of people wear as little as possible to show off there bods. To the ones with bods to show off, I say thanks for the public service! :-) Some of the rest of us just are quite a bit more comfortable wearing less when we exert ourselves. When I go running when it's 60 degrees out, I seldom wear more then a pair of running shorts. You better believe I'm not going to wear a shirt in an 80 degrees and humid gym. And as far as families go, there's a difference between exposing kids to unhealthy sexuality and fostering a comfort with their own bodies and the human body in general. I'm not saying we should go all German and sunbath nude in public parks, but there's no reason to be either disgusted or aroused by a shirtless guy or a girl in a sports bra.

You rant: I rant...

John

bitchtits

Feb 7, 2008, 7:05 AM
Post #7 of 76 (17862 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tallsailor] Shirtless and barefoot in the gym...why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You got fucked by a priest didn't you?

I can tell, don't lie.

bitchtits

Feb 7, 2008, 7:29 AM
Post #8 of 76 (17845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bitchtits] Shirtless and barefoot in the gym...why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it related to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zvTRQr7ns8

shockabuku

Feb 7, 2008, 7:40 AM
Post #9 of 76 (17840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because it's a climbing gym; that's what people do.

Climbing shouldn't be a sterile activity.

6 years wrestling, with anti-bacterial wash on the mats daily and I got both ringworm and impetigo. Going on 20 years climbing, including a couple in the gym, and nothing but scars, tendonitis, and calluses. I think you're being a little paranoid, you germophobe you.

Wearing climbing shoes the whole time sucks, hurts, and stinks worse in the long run.

As to shirts, well I'm a little jealous about that one too because I daren't show my pale, fat torso either.

Fenst

Feb 7, 2008, 8:26 AM
Post #10 of 76 (17813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Shirtless and barefoot in the gym...why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, this is for the trolls and pro-shirtless people: For the lifeguard, ringworm doesn't get transmited by feet, athletes feet is something transmistted along with other rampant foot fungi plus most indoor pools have sanitarians who check on how the facility is kept clean and make sure they are using preventative measures to prevent mass infection. Climbing gyms don't get random checkups by Sanitarians or health inspectors. For the wrestler, they wash the mats daily because team members have the mentioned skin ailments and disinfection reduces transmission to others. Secondly, I am not putting down sports bras because I enjoy them and I would think it is perfectly acceptable for a dude to wear a tank top(which is similiar) in regards to preventing sweat (that carries the nasty pathogens) transmission. And the family atmosphere concern, this would be totally acceptable if indoor climbing was an ancient/traditional sport like Sumo wrestling, swimming, or martial arts where going shirtless is a funtion of the sport, but it's NOT. You don't need to wear capilene/under armor/other high tech synthetic shirts to climb intensely (while perspiring). Go buy a shirt or few from the thrift store if you are on a "climbing clothing budget". And like I stated in my original post, I am in Ohio, in the winter, where it is cold outside with low humidity and cool inside the gym (less than 65 deg. ALWAYS). When it hits high humidity, warmer indoor temperatures, I might see shirtless being acceptable (but not by a hygenic perspective). But I know for a fact that my gym makes enough revenue to blast the A/C during the warmer weather when it is busy and I am sure they will when it is needed. I mainly posted this thread because I've heard chatter of ringworm on shirtless climbers at my gym. I am not paranoid by any means about this matter but it should be addressed. And shockabuku, who were you wrestling with or for, impetigo is something you get from making out with hookers all night.

kingjawsh

Feb 7, 2008, 1:15 PM
Post #11 of 76 (17720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, I’m sorry you’re so attracted to all the men without shirts that it makes you uncomfortable... but really.. Who cares? If you’re so terribly concerned about cross contamination from other dudes sweat, then stop rubbing up against them

Adrian_Falcus

Feb 7, 2008, 1:17 PM
Post #12 of 76 (17717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fenst wrote:
I am not paranoid by any means

Yes you are, the end.

wax

Feb 7, 2008, 1:23 PM
Post #13 of 76 (17709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd bring it up with your gym management if there is "chatter" amoung members at your gym.

i know several gyms that have a ban on barefeet, and so people wear sandals. however it is rare that shirtless guy will rub his sweaty, burly body on a climbing surface, so if it is a concern with the weight bench and the like, perhaps suggest a rule that all equipment that comes in contact with one's body be wiped down after each use (a la fitness gym rules)

i wouldn't peg too mush hope on the no shirtless rule though... it's kinda climbing par for the course

matterunomama

Feb 7, 2008, 1:34 PM
Post #14 of 76 (17692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Shirtless and barefoot in the gym...why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
mostly because its muggy and hot in climbing gyms due to the nature of the place they cant use A/C- more humidity=harder to keep your cotton shirt on and stay comfortable ..

Of course they can use AC. My gym does. Not only does the temp stay uniform top to bottom in all seasons (with huge fans), but the filters keep the dust away too.

jermanimal

Feb 7, 2008, 1:49 PM
Post #15 of 76 (17681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] Shirtless and barefoot in the gym...why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no shirt is gross on mats in bouldering area, no way they get cleaned. rest of gym who cares...bare feet thing, also who cares, I am not going to walk around in bare feet so it doesn't really matter. If you are concerned at the pool wear sandals, same thing here.

blueeyedclimber

Feb 7, 2008, 2:11 PM
Post #16 of 76 (17656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jermanimal] Shirtless and barefoot in the gym...why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wearing a shirt or not wearing a shirt will have no bearing on whether germs are spread. Germs are usually spread by either air (someone coughs or sneezes) or by touching something and then touching your mouth or nose. So if you really want to stop the germs, then ask management to require everyone to wear gloves.

BTW, how are people gonna see my new tat if I keep my shirt on?

Josh

shimmer

Feb 7, 2008, 2:20 PM
Post #17 of 76 (17647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

egads. Children seeing what they see when they go to a beach or an amusement park? Horrors!

Some people don't like having something 'on' when they're making a reach. I know that I specifically shop for shirts that are very light and racerback style, so it feels like next to nothing. If I could get away with climbing topless I certainly would.

As far as walking around barefoot, I'm not taking shoes around with me to wear when I take my climbing shoes off just because someone else is afraid of a little grime. Don't want feet germs? Don't lick the floors/rails/holds where someone barefoot may walk, don't go sucking on any toes, and don't eat or drink food from the floor. That's a really simple, common sense conclusion.

dingus

Feb 7, 2008, 2:22 PM
Post #18 of 76 (17641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tallsailor wrote:
I happen to sweat beyond belief, and trust me, sometimes not wearing the shirt makes a world of difference. As far as the barefoot goes, that can just be a lifestyle. I seldom wear shoes, anywhere, when there's not snow on the ground. I don't like them, they're uncomfortable and my feet sweat at least as much as the rest of me so when I keep them in shoes they get REALLY stinky. Yes, a lot of people wear as little as possible to show off there bods. To the ones with bods to show off, I say thanks for the public service! :-) Some of the rest of us just are quite a bit more comfortable wearing less when we exert ourselves. When I go running when it's 60 degrees out, I seldom wear more then a pair of running shorts. You better believe I'm not going to wear a shirt in an 80 degrees and humid gym. And as far as families go, there's a difference between exposing kids to unhealthy sexuality and fostering a comfort with their own bodies and the human body in general. I'm not saying we should go all German and sunbath nude in public parks, but there's no reason to be either disgusted or aroused by a shirtless guy or a girl in a sports bra.

You rant: I rant...

John

Naked sailors. What's next?

DMT

krusher4

Feb 7, 2008, 2:44 PM
Post #19 of 76 (17611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not having a shirt on makes you climb harder geezz thought everyone knew. Really though I do feel better climbing shirtless maybe its that I feel more free and less affected my the 'rules' and the way you 'have' to act when your on terra firma. Not all climbing shoes (agro bouldering shoes) are comfy to walk in and your feet need a break.

dreday3000

Feb 7, 2008, 2:56 PM
Post #20 of 76 (17593 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krusher4] Shirtless and barefoot in the gym...why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, so I got a wierd distinction here. I climb with my shirt off cause I find it more comfortable. In the gym and out. It may annoy a few of the more wholesome crowd but I'll be damned if I let that stop me. C

That said, I find it pretty freakin gross when people start bench pressing in the workout room without a shirt on cause they're actually smearing their love juice all over the place. Defiently not something I want to deal with. It is sort of funny to watch all those guys doing hulk hogan flexs in the mirrors though.

Partner sevrdhed

Feb 7, 2008, 3:02 PM
Post #21 of 76 (17580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tallsailor wrote:
but there's no reason to be <snip> aroused by <snip> a girl in a sports bra.

I'd have to say that totally depends on the girl in the sports bra.

If you don't want to climb with people who take their shirts off, come to momentum here in SLC. They don't let you take your shirt off. And it's not like they keep the gym cold (For the record, 65 degrees when you're doing something very active can get really damn hot really fast). Lamest rule ever.

lena_chita

Feb 7, 2008, 3:06 PM
Post #22 of 76 (17573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are paranoid-- and just plain wrong in your asumptions.

Since when are germs confined only to areas covered by a T-shirt? If someone has some sort of communicable skin disease, wearing a T-shirt wont' protect you.

Sweat on the bouldering mats? Umm.. please! You haven't seen sweaty palms, hands, arms, foreheads, etc? Or do you think that sweat is qualitatively different in T-shirt-covered-areas?

Or maybe a girl wearing a sport bra has an O.K. sweat on her lower back, but a guy's sweat is loaded with "pathogens"?

As far as it being winter and cool, well even when it is cool, I prefer to take a sweatshirt off while climbing, climb in a tank top, and put the sweatshirt back on while I'm belaying-- I stay warmer that way. And also, believe it or not, it is actually too hot to climb in a sweatshirt even when the gym is at 58-60F. I always start out shivering when I come into the gym, but after 20 min of warm-ups the sweatshirt comes off b/c it starts feeling too hot. I can see why a guy might want to take off a T-shirt while climbing and then put it back on later, instead of climbing in it, sweating ,getting it all wet, and then walking around in a cold wet shirt. And if it feels comfortable to someone to do that, hey, why should I object.

And what is this bullshit about protecting the public sensibilities?

I have two kids, ages 5 and 9, girl and boy, and the fact that they see shirtless guys in the gym does not bother me in the slightest. Doesn't bother THEM either. Shit, I'd rather they saw nice toned beautiful bodies than those hanging beer bellies at a beach.

Barefoot? why do you think that is more of a problem in a gym that a situation of dozens of gumbies wearing rental gym shoes, walking in those shoes to the bathroom, and then coming back to the wall and climbing in those same shoes? What about random kids who attempt to climb in street shoes? Happens every day... I'll take someone's bare feet over those stinky shoes any day-- at least most peole wash their feet regularly -- and WAY more frequently than those shoes are washed (which is never)

I personally find it unpleasant to walk barefoot in a gym. So I have slip-on sandals that I wear when I'm not climbing. But I don't for a minute think that someone walking and climbing barefoot is spreading around any more germs than the next guy.

kyleshea

Feb 7, 2008, 3:43 PM
Post #23 of 76 (17524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Shirtless and barefoot in the gym...why? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you also better talk to the gym management about all of those snotty nosed little kids. it is winter in ohio after all, and id imagine some young'uns have colds or are sick. they come in and climb, but their parents arent constantly sanitizing their little hands when they grab climbing holds. OHHHH, the pathogens.
sounds like someone needs to fork out some xtra dough and rent the gym out after hours, douse every hold in alcohol and climb to your germophobe hearts content, or build a home wall. or realize that you are constantly bombarded with millions or billions of pathogens every day and carry on like the rest of the world.

shockabuku

Feb 7, 2008, 3:48 PM
Post #24 of 76 (17516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fenst wrote:
And shockabuku, who were you wrestling with or for, impetigo is something you get from making out with hookers all night.

Bullshit. Never got impetigo from a hooker.

Partner cracklover

Feb 7, 2008, 4:28 PM
Post #25 of 76 (17454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My gf thinks I'm hot. It's a nice little ritual - she gets to see my back when I get on climbs at my limit. And it's nice for me to know when I'm barely hanging on for the redpoint attempt, that I have her full attention. ;)

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook