RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

kriso9tails

Feb 7, 2008, 9:46 PM
Post #1 of 8 (19445 views)
Shortcut

Script (Apple or Java) for Photoshop Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I guess this is a three part question.

i) Does anybody know a good scripting resource (online or off) for Photoshop based scripting; I have minimal experience with scripting in general, but I tend to learn quite fast, especially from written sources. There are a lot of sloppy references online it seems; I don't want to start out with someone else's bad habits and structure.

ii) Does anybody know if there is an advantage to working with one script over another between AppleScript or Java? Keep in mind, I only work on macs these days (at home and in the office).

iii) For something more specific, for work I need an automated process to square images and, where applicable, reduce the size to 1200 x 1200 pix. They are all close cropped.

Basically x and y are pixel height and width respectively (sorry if this is a mess).

For canvass size:
If x > y, modify y to = x
If y > x, modify x to = y
Anchor is centered and extension colour is white (defaults)

For image size:
If x > 1200 pix, make x = 1200 pix (constraining proportions)
resampling method is bicubic sharper
PPI is 300

It also needs to 'save as' to a specific folder.

Maybe that makes some sort of sense... maybe not... I'm trying to type quickly.

(This post was edited by kriso9tails on Feb 7, 2008, 9:59 PM)

Partner dominic7

Feb 7, 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #2 of 8 (19440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Script (Apple or Java) for Photoshop Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:

i) Does anybody know a good scripting resource (online or off) for Photoshop based scripting; I have minimal experience with scripting in general, but I tend to learn quite fast, especially from written sources. There are a lot of sloppy references online it seems; I don't want to start out with someone else's bad habits and structure.

ii) Does anybody know if there is an advantage to working with one script over another between AppleScript or Java? Keep in mind, I only work on macs these days (at home and in the office).

iii) For something more specific, for work I need an automated process to square images and, where applicable, reduce the size to 1200 x 1200 pix. They are all close cropped.

Basically x and y are pixel height and width respectively (sorry if this is a mess).

For canvass size:

For image size:
PPI is 300

why are you asking this on a rockclimbing site?

Partner dominic7

Feb 7, 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #3 of 8 (19439 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dominic7] Script (Apple or Java) for Photoshop Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dominic7 wrote:
kriso9tails wrote:

For canvass size:

For image size:
PPI is 300

not to be rude, I'm just saying...

http://ps-scripts.com/bb/

kriso9tails

Feb 7, 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #4 of 8 (19430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dominic7] Script (Apple or Java) for Photoshop Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dominic7 wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
kriso9tails wrote:

For canvass size:

For image size:
PPI is 300

not to be rude, I'm just saying...

http://ps-scripts.com/bb/

It's not rude; It was my first consideration and I am looking...

... but this also has its benefits for something that doesn't cost me any money. It's harder, when you're starting out with something, to discern the self-proclaimed experts from those with actual experience without wasting a lot of time first -- poseurs seek out forums like that, and Adobe's resources online, which I'm going through right now, are generally unhelpful when you want something specific. I'm not asking this on a climbing forum; I'm asking it on a forum that is decidedly not a Scripting forum because a) I'm reasonably familiar with the base of frequent users and can weigh opinions accordingly, and b) there's a lower percent chance that someone responding here has horrible biases on the issue, but there's also a certain percent chance that there's someone that will see this that has more experience on the issue than I do.

With regards to asking climbers in particular, you can't throw a stone at a crag without hitting an someone that either works in computers or is an engineering type with a related hobby.

Like I said, it's a free resource and for what it costs me to use, I might as well take it for what it's worth.

(This post was edited by kriso9tails on Feb 7, 2008, 10:55 PM)

ryanb

Feb 7, 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #5 of 8 (19421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the sake of development speed. I'd probably write a simple bash (command line) script using sips and forget about photoshop.

sips --resampleWidth 1200 *

will resize all files in the files in the current folder to 1200. type man sips for more options etc. Be aware that it overwrites the source file so work on a copy.

wes_allen

Feb 7, 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #6 of 8 (19418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] Script (Apple or Java) for Photoshop Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why not just use the built in actions? You can create one to do everything you want, then run it via bridge pretty easy.

kriso9tails

Feb 8, 2008, 1:02 AM
Post #7 of 8 (19404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] Script (Apple or Java) for Photoshop Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To put it briefly, it's a bizarre situation with a lot of variables and constraints, and when I stepped into this job a year ago, a lot of the workflow processes that were needed simply weren't there. I don't get a lot of breathing room, but when I do, I try to pour as much of that time into workflow as I can.

to be less brief: Actions aren't intelligent enough to deal with the variables. All images have to be opened and treated individually in Photoshop anyway, so currently I run actions at the end to convert colour mode, resize the canvas, reduce image size, 'save as' to a hot folder and close. The best point to run this in the process is at the end of the Photoshop work, so the actions/ script might as well run straight from Photoshop.

Unless I'm missing an automated feature to square images that is already built in, I have to set the action for user input because it won't differentiate from vertical and horizontal orientation. It also has to stay as closely cropped to the subject as possible, which limits some other options.

The other issue is that I only want to size down to 1200 x 1200 and never up. Ideally, I would never deal with images smaller that 1200 pix (well... 2400 really) on the largest dimensions, but not everything comes from my studio, and some images supplied by outside sources are smaller. This means I have to check off part of my action to avoid re-sizing to the set dimensions in the action.

It's not important to run anything in batch, but it would be nice to have everything completely automated here to avoid human error. Given the volume of images we deal with, the amount that has to be done to them, how they are purposed for final input and all the bloody constraints placed on me, human error is inevitable. Even if it is less than 1% of the time, it should still be addressed when I get the chance, so the goal is to reduce it as much as possible through automation where possible/ applicable.

(This post was edited by kriso9tails on Feb 8, 2008, 1:06 AM)

iknowfear

Feb 13, 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #8 of 8 (19295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd use the mass conversion function in GraphicConverter (which I presume is similar to actions in PS), but you can let it run in batch mode & it resizes only if larger than X

And just speaking by feeling, i think apple script is easier to learn...

cheers,
iknowfear

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook