RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

karlbaba

Feb 7, 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Foot Pain-Morton's neuroma
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Folks

Just a warning to take care of your feet and beware of Morton's Neuroma

http://www.footphysicians.com/.../mortons-neuroma.htm

Women who wear tight shoes or high heels often get it but guess who else wears tight shoes.

Never use your precious feet to stretch too tight shoes. Buy a 2 way shoe stretcher like this one

http://www.footsmart.com/...Stretcher-90120.aspx

Or get your local cobbler shop to do it on their machine.

Use this thread to share your experience or bump it unless a lot of folks have seen this info. It will make a bummer of your approach marches if you get it.

Peace and love

Karl

karlbaba

Feb 7, 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karlbaba] Climbing Foot Pain-Morton's neuroma [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

from the Mayo Clinic

"A neuroma is a noncancerous (benign) growth of nerve tissue that can develop in various parts of your body. Morton's neuroma occurs in a nerve in your foot, often between your third and fourth toes. The condition isn't a true tumor, but instead involves a thickening of the tissue around one of the digital nerves leading to your toes. Morton's neuroma causes a sharp, burning pain in the ball of your foot. Your toes also may sting, burn or feel numb if you have Morton's neuroma.

Also called plantar neuroma or intermetatarsal neuroma, Morton's neuroma may occur in response to irritation, injury or pressure such as from wearing tightfitting shoes. But Morton's neuroma may also occur for unknown reasons.

Treatments for Morton's neuroma commonly involve changing footwear, resting your foot, and using arch supports or pads to help take pressure off the area. In some cases, your doctor may recommend anti-inflammatory drugs, a cortisone injection or even surgery if you have Morton's neuroma."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/...a/DS00468/DSECTION=1

Peace

Karl

karlbaba

Feb 7, 2008, 7:24 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some folks don't find this cause it's pretty new but nobody mentioned one of the best treatments which is a series of Alcohol injections at the site.

http://www.biomech.com/...4.painmana.bio.shtml

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/achieve_more/neuroma/neuroma_print.asp

Injection Therapy: The two common agents used in injection therapy of neuroma are corticosteroid/local anesthetic and alcohol sclerosing agent. Corticosteroid is injected around the nerve to decrease the inflammation and reduce fibrosis or scaring. Greenfield found that 30% of patients undergoing corticosteroid/local anesthetic therapy had complete relief of symptoms and 50% had partial relief [4]. Alcohol sclerosing agent is a dilute mixture that includes a small percent of alcohol and a numbing medication. The alcohol is injected around the nerve in hopes of reducing its size. The therapy involves a series of 3-8 injections with 5-10 days between injections. Dockery found an 89% success rate using this method of injection therapy [5].

bent_gate

Feb 8, 2008, 1:20 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a friend who had this problem and she eventually had surgery to release the tendon so the nerve would no longer be pinched.

I read about the injection procedure several years ago, but never met anyone who actually had it. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has ever tried it here.

markc

Feb 8, 2008, 1:26 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bent_gate] Climbing Foot Pain-Morton's neuroma [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife had ultrasound and PT to address her neuroma, and eventually resorted to surgery to remove the nerve. Prior to that, she thoroughly examined her footwear and cast out anything that was too tight. (With the exception of climbing shoes, which weren't getting used at the time.) She said there was no way she could have climbed with the neuroma, and has been several times since the operation. She's been very pleased.

rockhound71

Feb 8, 2008, 1:46 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aha! I climbed with this problem for about a year, before I went to a podiatrist (this was about 2 years ago). He had no idea what it was. Crazy So I taped my foot every time I climbed. This helped a lot. I ended up taking time off from climbing for about 9 months (unrelated reasons), and currently have no problems.

Thanks for the info!!!

BarefootTJ

Nov 28, 2012, 5:21 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockhound71] Climbing Foot Pain-Morton's neuroma [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand that alcohol sclerosing (and other agents like cortisone) have been helpful in treating MN. For me, however, they did more harm than good. I had four rounds to treat my four neuromas (two in each foot); you can do the math.

What your doctor typically won't tell you about is all the scar tissue that these injections cause. It's this scar tissue (MN is scaring of the nerve sheath and a swelling of the nerve) that makes the condition worse, not better. The nerve is already lacking in much needed space, is already dealing with its own scar tissue, and then you add more scar tissue into the mix. On top of that, cryosurgery and traditional surgery will also add to the amount of scar tissue.

There are newer, safer ways to deal with MN, and I believe after trying nearly every treatment option out there, through trial and error and tons of pain, suffering, and money, I am finally starting to get better. If any of you are suffering with MN, please join us at MN Talk at http://www.MortonsNeuromaTalk.com. It's a new forum dedicated to just this one condition, and there are no others out there that are. There are forums dedicated to MN AND other conditions but not just MN. At MN Talk, you can find a lot of valuable info about different treatment options and learn what types of surgeries to avoid, so you don't end up suffering like I have.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook