RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

tangboy

Oct 13, 2001, 3:17 AM
Post #1 of 8 (5613 views)
Shortcut

No finger tips... anytips for that?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I boulder everyday, seeings i am addicted. i love to boulder because it relieves those work/college tensions. and since bouldering is one of the best ways to learn technique and build strength i figure its a good thing to be addicted to, but right at this moment my fingers hurt so bad because i don't have any skin on the finger tips from crimping, dynos, and all the little 1/8in holds. what can i do to either stop loosing skin, or what can i do to toughen my fingers? thanks for the help!

Partner pianomahnn

Oct 13, 2001, 3:30 AM
Post #2 of 8 (5613 views)
Shortcut

No finger tips... anytips for that? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stop climbing every day. Period. Plain. And simple. I'm serious.

Climb 4 days, do not climb 3 days. Your skin will never toughen up, and get thicker if every day you keep ripping it off.

That is the only advice you should need.

kriso9tails

Oct 13, 2001, 4:25 AM
Post #3 of 8 (5613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that climbing every day is bad for you, but climbing three times a week is fine for toughening your fingers and skin.

I open hand most holds which does help a little bit with keeping the skin on my hands. Alot of people say open hand is bad technique, but I say my fingers will hurt much less at the end of the day, and my tendons will bee alot better off too. (This is fine for me, but I think the common view is that this advice is crap)

metoliusmunchkin

Oct 13, 2001, 4:19 PM
Post #4 of 8 (5613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I mean, I have tried to climb everyday, and let me tell you I couldn't do it! All of these aches and pains from doing all of those rad moves, really put a downer on your body, especially when you go everyday.

If I went every day, I know that my fingers would be ripped up aswell (I'm suprised that you can even go every day, without any other body differings). Though, if you really don't want to cut down on your regular climbing routines and still want to climb every single day, then I would suggest taping up your fingers before climbing. It really does save your skin some pain!

Hope I was some help.
-Pat.

[ This Message was edited by: metoliusmunchkin on 2001-10-13 09:23 ]

compclimber

Oct 13, 2001, 4:48 PM
Post #5 of 8 (5613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could look into a product called Hoofmaker its a liquid that builds callouses on horses hoofs but also works quite well on human hands. Its available in most Tack and Equine stores.

fiend

Oct 14, 2001, 10:10 PM
Post #6 of 8 (5613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are doing a power workout, you shouldn't be climbing the next day. Your body needs time to recover, not just the skin but muscles and tendons etc.

Climbing every day is bad for you, you should be taking, at least one day a week off. Unfortunately climbing isn't like body building, you can't go in and work legs one day then arms the next, everytime you climb you stress the same muscles and you need time to recover.

Bouldering 2 or 3 or more days in a row isn't going to kill you but you're power increases will come much slower. Also it is harder to build on your skills when your body is fatigued, and the less recovery you have the more fatigued you are when you climb next.

climberchk

Oct 15, 2001, 1:21 AM
Post #7 of 8 (5613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you climb every day you open yourself up for injuries, especially tendentious. I climbed everyday a while ago and never let my muscles recuperate. I got a lil tendoditius in my left elbow because of that. If you stick to like 3/4 days a week and keep it routine your chances of getting any types of tendon problems will be much slimmer not to mention you will actually have finger pads (whatever those are)

tangboy

Oct 15, 2001, 4:57 AM
Post #8 of 8 (5613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i appreciate all the wise information taht you guys (and ladies to whom it applies) listed for me. i am still consider myself a newbie and am loving climbing, but i think i will cut back on the climbing now. i don't want to have to put off a nice big day of climbing because i bleed from opening my car door or my fingers are stuck in one position because my tendons are sore. please keep posting your information for me, i am very interested in anything else you have to say!
Tangboy

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook