Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
El Potrero lodging/climbing/etc?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

climbhigh2005

Feb 11, 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #1 of 3 (706 views)
Shortcut

El Potrero lodging/climbing/etc?  (North_America: Mexico: Nuevo_Le_n: El_Potrero_Chico)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Alright I know there are a million post already about this info, but I've heard that some of the places are no longer there and some of the post are way out dated, so here is my question:

I am bringing 12 climbers from East Tennessee State University to El Potrero March 2nd-7th. All the climbers are experienced and most can climb 10s consistently. We are looking for everything from where to stay, what to climb, and where to eat/ drink/ etc...

We are a pretty close group and don't mind sharing small bedrooms and sleeping on the floor. However we are only bringing 2 cars with 13 people, so we do not have enough room from camping gear and need to stay in some sort of cabin/condo (cheaper the better... we are college students).

We also love meeting other climbers so if anyone wants to meet up, show us around, etc that would be GREAT!!! Thanks soo much!!

rockhound71

Feb 11, 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #2 of 3 (693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbhigh2005] El Potrero lodging/climbing/etc? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I recommend the Posada:
http://www.elpotrerochico.com.mx/

For breakfast and coffee: Tami's
And
For dinner: Checo's

Both are next to the Posada.

As far as climbing goes...too many routes to mention!!! You can pick up a guidebook at Tami's.

Have a blast!!!

myusername

Feb 11, 2008, 10:59 AM
Post #3 of 3 (682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbhigh2005] El Potrero lodging/climbing/etc? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are lots of options for lodging. I've been 2 years in a row and find that Rancho Cerro Gordo is great. I have stayed elsewhere and checked out all the places. [i]Everybody is nice and the places are all good but each has their own feel. This is what I like about Cerro Gordo and you can decide if it's for you. Despite rumours it's still open and contrary to some peoples belief Mel (the owner) is a super nice guy. Greets everyone with a hug, always has a smile and even had me and my friends over for couple of diner parties with his friends and family.
So here it is- Mel and staff are real friendly and accommodating. He stored my buds surf boards while they went to El Salto for a few days. He let some guy who's stuff got lost on the plane stay in the office. The 2 houses that are for rent are roomy and complete with everything you need, pots, pans, dishes, lots of hot water. The beds are even pretty comfy. I would bring a sleeping bag. The big place has beds for 5-6 with lots of floor space. It was cheap. The prices are exactly as they are stated on the website. Not necessarily true for other places. My friend stayed somewhere else and the price had jumped $10/night.
It's quiet and everyone who stays there appreciates that and likes it that way. Drum circles, 3am HipHop are for other ranches. There is still lots of fun and socializing to be had though. Slack line in the pavilion. Mel will fire up the BBQ and make you some of the best chicken you will ever have if you guys are interested.
You have to go by all the other ranches and bars to get to and from the climbing. We often stopped at other places to visit with friends, meet people, eat and drink in the morning and at night. Then we had the option of going back to our quiet casita.
The climbing is pretty straight forward... there is tons, try it all. Guides are available there. Ed's photocopy guide is the best deal. It's compelte and cheap.
Other hints. Take coffee and a means to make your own if coffee is important to you. Peanut butter and lunch type snacks - powerbars etc.
Spread the love around (if you are going to spend money), buy corn from the lady at the base of the crag, visit other ranches, drink their beer, eat their food, etc.
All the locals are truly happy to have you there. Always be kind, open and respectful, it will come back to you 100 fold. Try and use or learn some Spanish. There is not a lot of English flying around but it's still easy to get by.
have fun.
PM me if you want more info
http://ranchopotrerochico.com/http://ranchopotrerochico.com/

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook