RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

sportclmbr20

Feb 14, 2008, 4:09 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3113 views)
Shortcut

first time to europe
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

One of my climbing partners and I are making our first trip this June to Germany and France. Our plan is to climb in Fountainebleau for most of the two weeks we will be there. I was wondering what the camping is like? if it does cost to camp there? how far away is Paris? We will be flying into Frankfurt and we will be buying the Eurail train pass to get from Germany to France. But what about hitchhiking or staying in hostels? Any information would be appreciated!!
Thanks so much!
megan

uasunflower

Feb 15, 2008, 9:41 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3103 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sportclmbr20] first time to europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, not sure if you are aware of this, but Fontainebleau is a BIG forest, with numerous climbing areas, most accessible only by car or bike. You will most probably take a train to Fontainebleau (town) from Paris, which is like a 45min RER ride, but than you will either need a car or a bike or a lot of determination to get to the actual climbing.

There is a campground at Milly-la-foret, otherwise you can camp in the forest anywhere, but normally that's not exactly permitted, but tolerated. You have Formule 1 near Fontainebleau which is 30 euros/night for a room with 3 beds, otherwise hostels in Paris, but it's not exactly very interesting as Paris is 1,5 to 2hr away by car from actual climbing...

Hope this helps and good luck!

petje

Feb 18, 2008, 7:56 AM
Post #3 of 6 (3085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uasunflower] first time to europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uasunflower wrote:
Hey, not sure if you are aware of this, but Fontainebleau is a BIG forest, with numerous climbing areas, most accessible only by car or bike. You will most probably take a train to Fontainebleau (town) from Paris, which is like a 45min RER ride, but than you will either need a car or a bike or a lot of determination to get to the actual climbing.

There is a campground at Milly-la-foret, otherwise you can camp in the forest anywhere, but normally that's not exactly permitted, but tolerated. You have Formule 1 near Fontainebleau which is 30 euros/night for a room with 3 beds, otherwise hostels in Paris, but it's not exactly very interesting as Paris is 1,5 to 2hr away by car from actual climbing...

Hope this helps and good luck!

Oh my god, how can you say it's tolerated to cmp! even the bivouacs are closed and you think wild camping would be allowed!? Jeeez!

Check out http://bleau.info. All info and more about fontainebleau

uasunflower

Feb 18, 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petje] first time to europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

because i haven't yet had problems with it ...

petje

Feb 19, 2008, 7:51 AM
Post #5 of 6 (3074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And it doesn't bother you that when people keep doing things like wild camping although prohibited, it makes climbing area's getting closed. really a shame. (i don't mean sleeping in a car at a parking lot, but puting up tents where it's not allowed)

godmodule

Feb 6, 2011, 5:37 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

going to fountainebleau in june, do you know of any place to rent crash pads and bikes. or is it just best to pay to bring a pad on the plane.

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook