Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Looking glass beta
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ike_bean

Feb 25, 2008, 8:22 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1079 views)
Shortcut

Looking glass beta  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Looking_Glass_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I am headed to Looking Glass over spring break to climb, and I was wondering if there is a trail that leads back to the bottom or if it is a rappel. If its a rappel, what types of things are used to rappel from the summit? Is it fixed gear with anchors or natural like trees, etc...? Is it better to use a 60-70 meter rope for the rappels? Any help would be appreciated!

sthcrag510

Feb 25, 2008, 8:45 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ike_bean] Looking glass beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the routes at the glass are rap offs. Usually there will be rap bolts at the top of the routes. Some of the routes require you to use a tree or use another routes rap bolts. Just read the guide book so you know whats up.

Well a 70 meter would be better than a 60 for sure. But doubles are perferable if you have em.

whipperman

Feb 25, 2008, 8:57 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ike_bean] Looking glass beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on where you'll be climbing.
If you're at the southface, sunwall, or Nose area you will need two 60m ropes for rappels from bolted anchors with rap rings. A few of the sunwall routes require raps off of trees.

If you're at the northside you can rap several routes with a single 60m rope. 70 m doesn't do much for you at looking glass and can be left at home in my opinion.

deltav

Feb 25, 2008, 9:24 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1050 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whipperman] Looking glass beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, no need for a 70m. I use twin 60m. Most routes are bolted, their are trees when they are not. You can hike off, but it would take you hours...and to the wrong parking lot.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook