Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
how to find?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

clarient

Mar 2, 2008, 7:24 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1477 views)
Shortcut

how to find?  (North_America: United_States: Texas: South_Central_Texas: White_Trash)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How close is this place to San Marcos, any directions on how to get out there from campus?

It'd be nice to have a place to go in town.

lyndee

Mar 27, 2011, 11:56 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clarient] how to find? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am also wondering about the location. I used to live in Wimberley and I drove down river road to where i thought it would be but did not find any bolted routes. is this place still used or is it all grown over? anyone been there recently?

aaronraby

Apr 3, 2011, 11:52 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lyndee] how to find? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I went up there today because my brother said he had found some bolted routes out on a cliff after school one day, so I went to check them out when i was home for the weekend. I counted about 8-10 routes, however I could only see the anchors for 2 of those, I assume the rest were over the top and out of site. I plan on going back with someone else and climbing them. The bouldering however is very fun. There is 1 large boulder right at the entrance that has a number of fun looking problems on it as well as various problems to work along the cliff itself. I will update with more information and some pictures after I get out there again with some more people.

For anyone who is in the area and wants to check it out here are the directions:

Once in Wimberley, take River Road out towards the 7A Bridge. At the 3 way stop with Wayside drive take a right. A short way up Wayside is the 7A resort and pioneer town. You can park here for $5 a day. Once parked walk through pioneer town and down to the river. The boulder and wall is on your right about another 200 yards down the road. Look up for the top of the cliff as vegetation is dense by the road. You should be able to see most of the range, however you will not be able to see bolts or anchors from the road. There is an area that looks like you could have pulled off onto at one point but it is now blocked by a series of large stones. The main boulder is just past this. If you are walking from the parking lot at 7A then you shouldn't miss it. There is a slightly visible trail going from the road into the area.

gagek90

Jun 7, 2012, 4:08 PM
Post #4 of 5 (786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aaronraby] how to find? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just visited the site today with all my gear. I was very dissatisfied.. It took me 30 minutes to finally find the routes with the bolts. As soon as we set up shop my 2 friends and I were attacked by a massive amount of little flying critters , that are not swat or squish-able. We had to run and jump into the river. We didnt go back but the climb itself looked pretty sketch... you can only see one bolt that is not very strategically placed before the climb extends over the overhang. Overall its a lot of work and not very beautiful- a lot of trash... We were only able to see 2 bolts in total. You might as well take the time n go to austin n climb quality rock.

aaronraby

Jun 7, 2012, 5:42 PM
Post #5 of 5 (766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gagek90] how to find? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The climbing isn't that bad if your in the area, it's only about 20 minutes from San Marcos. It does take a while to find it in spring because of all the new growth, but the rest of the year is fine. I personally would not go there for the sport climbing as the bolts are old and not well placed on a lot of the climbs. However, the bouldering is fun. The detached boulder by the road has a few good V5's and a bunch of stuff under that listed in the Texas Limestone Bouldering guide. If you go up to the main wall and go right along it until you come to the section with the 3 1/2 foot roof there is a project there as well as one just past the small triangular detached boulder another 50 feet down the wall. You will see all the chalk from the parts that have been worked on these. Of the 2 projects, both are over V8, possibly as hard as V12 though to my knowledge no-one has linked enough of the moves to give it any more accurate of a rating. The finishes still need to be cleaned, but in order to do so you would have to rappel down to them. Good luck to anyone who goes out there and tries the projects. I'll post a few pictures soon so that you can get an ida of what the projects look like and where to find them.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook