RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

USnavy

Mar 3, 2008, 1:06 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1565 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by USnavy
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

pwilk

Mar 10, 2008, 5:19 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Stress Corrosion Cracking / sea water / washing climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm not going to make a guess as to if you should wash your gear or not, though I don't think rinsing it off with fresh water would hurt. But as far as stress corrosion cracking is concerned, you are correct. SCC is a method of corrosive failure that only exists when a susceptible material experiences stress in corrosive environment. Unless your biners are stressed (ie experiencing load) while sitting in your gear closet and they have a coating of something corrosive on them they won't undergo SCC. You could of course have just plain corrosion happening if there is something, sea salt, on your gear. Whether your gear does based on the area you climb is the question. I'm not sure about that.

billcoe_

Mar 21, 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pwilk] Stress Corrosion Cracking / sea water / washing climbing gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Theres been plenty of incidents where stainless bolts on a seaside crag break off in someones hand to not take this issue seriously.

From watching stuff my father in law owned turned to shit 2 miles form the coast in Hawaii, I suspect all of your gear will have a shorter life, and washing/rinsing with fresh water after an outing is a good thing.

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook