Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
General Alaska Info
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

basilisk

Mar 3, 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3755 views)
Shortcut

General Alaska Info  (North_America: United_States: Alaska)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of moving to Alaska this summer, but I'd like to learn a little more about it before I commit. Currently I'm thinking Talkeetna area, but nothing is even close to hard plans yet. I have a lot of broad questions, and I admittedly don't know much about the area(s). I'll just fire off some examples: What type of rock am I looking at? Solid? Chossy? Alpine-y? Long approaches? Road-side crags? What could I expect for temperatures in the summer? Winter? How's the ice climbing? Is there year-round ice if one knows where to look? What are the real prime climbing towns?

I of course understand that answers to these questions could be all over the place- Alaska is enormous. So on a related note I'm not even asking for answers, but it'd be super if someone could point me toward a resource that might have them.

Thanks a bunch! Any and all help is well appreciated

(This post was edited by basilisk on Mar 8, 2008, 11:19 PM)

basilisk

Mar 26, 2008, 7:21 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3717 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basilisk] General Alaska Info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump. Anyone?

mntgoat23

Jan 26, 2009, 6:50 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The rock varies throughout Alaska. A lot of the rock tends to be metamorphic sedimentary and pretty crappy. Sketchy pro placements that most likely won't hold. Any trips you're going to take are going to have a moderate approach (5-10 miles). Not to sure about road-side crags, I live in Fairbanks and there are two local climbing areas several miles in. Temps in summer are good, full daylight in June/July with lows around 35F, but colder up higher. Winter is great, but cold and dark. Ice climbing is awesome, some climbs around the mckinley park area and to the east in the delta's. Nothing too much off the road in those areas but down around anchorage there are roadside climbs. You can climb ice in the summer time on the glaciers (Castner glacier in the deltas, Matanuska down south around anchorage, maybe some in Junea). Around the anchorage area there are tons of climbs, hiking, trips to be done in the general vicinity. Same for Junea, not so much for Fairbanks. For ice climbing check out this website: http://www.alaskaiceclimbing.com/

Hope that helps some.

basilisk

Jan 26, 2009, 7:05 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mntgoat23] General Alaska Info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That helps tons! Damn, wish you were around a year ago. Sadly, it seems my Alaska dreams have been put on hold. But I'm not giving up!

(This post was edited by basilisk on Jan 26, 2009, 7:06 PM)

micahmcguire

Dec 8, 2009, 6:57 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Previous reply is crap. There is tons of good rock that can be accessed very easily. You will be in Talkeeta? Try any of the awesome lines in the Talkeenta range. Mostly great granite, lots of bolted routes, infinite trad routes, and a lifetime of things that have not been climbed.

ROCK IT!!!

kennoyce

Dec 8, 2009, 7:09 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [micahmcguire] General Alaska Info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks like the info might be a little bit late, but good info none the less. I have lived in AK for 4 summers, and there is plenty of good climbing. The only roadside climbing that I can think of is either in Anchorage or in skagway, but there is plenty of climbing that is not too far of a hike (of course if you want to hike there is plenty of that as well). Most of the climbing in AK is on granite, but I have climbed some limestone about an hour north of fairbanks. As for ice climbing in the summer, there is plenty of that especially on glaciers around juno. If the OP ever gets a chance to go, I would highly recommend it.

jaablink

Dec 8, 2009, 8:05 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by jaablink [In reply to]
Report this Post

jaablink

Dec 8, 2009, 8:06 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaablink] General Alaska Info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wtf , this post is a year old…a little late....

(This post was edited by jaablink on Dec 8, 2009, 8:14 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook