Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

caliclimbergrl

Feb 22, 2008, 3:56 AM
Post #1 of 29 (16692 views)
Shortcut

Where's your local climbing area?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just found this folder and I freekin love that there is a place to come chat with other women who climb
!! Don't get me wrong, I'll rope up with anyone who's safe, but there's something special about climbing with other woman.

So in the interest of getting to know some of you and in finding out who we can ask for beta when we go on climbing trips, where is your local climbing area? It can be the closest one to you, your favorite place to climb within driving distance, the place you learned to climb, whatever -- just write about a climbing area you know well!

I'll go ahead and get us started. I live in Seattle, and although it isn't the closest area to me, the place where I spend the most time is Squamish (British Columbia). I like most styles of climbing, but cracks are my favorite and Squamish has a lot of amazing cracks to climb. I spent the whole summer there last year so I got to know the place pretty well. If anyone is interested in taking a trip out there, I'd be happy to answer any questions. And if you need a partner, let me know!!

I've also climbed a lot around Washington State, Smith Rocks (Oregon), and I learned to climb at the Red River Gorge (Kentucky), so I always love to talk about those crags.

*Julia

gblauer

Feb 22, 2008, 4:22 AM
Post #2 of 29 (16686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caliclimbergrl] Where's your local climbing area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Closest, bestest trad area to me is the Gunks, 3+ hours door to door.

We have a local sport climbing area (60+ routes) 45 minutes from my house, in Birdsboro, PA (it's the quarry).

I live outside of Philadelphia.

I love the Red and the New as well. I also frequent El Potrero Chico in Mexico.

(This post was edited by gblauer on Feb 25, 2008, 12:16 AM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 22, 2008, 4:35 AM
Post #3 of 29 (16679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Where's your local climbing area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mine is also the Gunks. And Joshua Tree is my crag away from crag - headed out there in less than a month!

I agree that partnering with other women climbers is cool. Of course, I too climb with plenty of guys but I feel a special bond with the women I have partnered with.

From about about April through November, I am at the Gunks nearly every weekend. So anyone heading out this way and looking for information, a climbing partner, or camaraderie at the campsite - make note and let me know when you head out this way.

As well - I'll be looking for partners on this upcoming trip(3/21 through 3/31). Anyone in JTree during that time wants to get together - sen me a PM!

granite_grrl

Feb 22, 2008, 6:04 PM
Post #4 of 29 (16638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I grew up in Nova Scotia, and started climbing there (hence the user name). I know the boulderin and the cliffs out there fairly well.

I moved to Ontario 4 years ago. It sucks up here. There is far too much of the gym aspect at many of the cliffs, and not a strong community. The cliffs closest to Toronto are greasy and over used. Many of the areas have terrifing bolts. The gear in this limestone is always suspect.

If you can get to some of the areas a little further from Toronto you can find some gems though. Both amazing, quiet crags and fun limestone climbing. As you get north along the Niagara Escarpment and into less populated areas it can be beautiful. Nothing like climbing with big bright blue lake Huron below you, and going for a dip after.

Other area in Ontario I've spent a lot of time at it Bon Echo (Canadian Shield granite, cliff coming right out of the lake, its lovely there). I have also climbed extensivly at the Gunks. I have also spent a lot of time at the Red, Hueco, J-Tree, Red Rocks, sport in the Canadian Rockies and Devils Tower. I have a special place in my heart for Devils Tower.

As you might notice I have a thing for travelling and sampling rock. Part is becuase I like to try to get out of Ontario when I can, part 'cause I just love to travel.

In terms of style I love to trad climb, but I also really enjoy sport, bouldering, ice and drytooling. Really, I just want to climb.

clee03m

Feb 22, 2008, 8:35 PM
Post #5 of 29 (16619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Where's your local climbing area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am more familiar with NRG and RRG, but now I call WA and OR crags home. Hopefully this season, I'll do more climbing and less driving around/bushwacking/hiking aimlessly.

lhwang

Feb 23, 2008, 4:10 AM
Post #6 of 29 (16596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Where's your local climbing area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, you could ome visit me... will your boards be done? I'll be writing my CCFP in May. We could do a post-residency climbing roadtrip through the Canadian Rockies... start in Calgary, head west through Canmore, Banff, Revelstoke, Golden, etc and then end up in Squamish.

But back to the original question... home is Calgary, but I've been traveling around quite a bit for residency and now I'm in Hinton, just outside of Jasper. I know the climbing areas around Calgary relatively well... lots of sport areas, and also the beautiful climbs in the Ghost. My favourite local areas are the Ghost (both ice and rock) and the Bugaboos. I've been to Smith Rock, Squamish, Skaha and Potrero Chico many times and can also give beta on those places.

caliclimbergrl

Feb 24, 2008, 6:14 AM
Post #7 of 29 (16556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Where's your local climbing area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude -- count me in on that road trip!! I have summers off and spent all of last summer in Squamish -- which was great!! But this summer I want to visit more than one area. I'd like to do some climbing in Colorado, maybe Devil's Tower, the Buggaboos, maybe Yosemite, and pretty much anywhere else (especially areas that have good crack climbing). And I would like to spend some time in Squamish again -- just maybe not the whole summer. If you're serious about looking for road trip partners and would be interested in going sometime July - mid September, let me know. I'll be on a tight budget since having the summers off means not getting paid all summer, but I have tons of free time and will be looking to climb!!
*Julia

tavs

Feb 25, 2008, 8:58 PM
Post #8 of 29 (16487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots of "home" areas (so much rock in Utah, so easy to get to)--all the crags around SLC, San Rafael Swell, Indian Creek, Moab areas, St. George crags, Red Rocks, City of Rocks. Pretty familiar with the Bugs, Cody and Ouray ice, and Vedauwoo. Spent two years climbing regularly at the NRG but its been a while since I've been back.

kiwiprincess

Feb 25, 2008, 9:33 PM
Post #9 of 29 (16481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm in New Zealand.
So if any of of you get over here look me up.
i was the only girl climber in my town but lately there has been a bit of a migration and there are 4 of us.
MY local area is Wye creek (Ice and rock)
We are only 3.5 hours from the Darren mountains, which is AMAZING granite alpine rock and some over hung cragging for the bad weather which we get quite alot of down there.

pmcheng

Feb 26, 2008, 7:36 PM
Post #10 of 29 (16415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi! I just wanted to join in on this discussion, though I've never used this folder before.

I definitely think it's a whole different game climbing with women and I'm trying to find a female climbing partner in my neck of the woods.

I just moved to Humboldt county, so my local area is Moonstone beach and Patrick's Point State park. That's as far as I've gotten. Lots of fun beach bouldering and top roping. If you're ever in my area, send me a message, I'd like to do some more exploring.

I used to live in SoCal and so I was a Joshua Tree weekend warrier. I know most of the climbing areas around San Diego, so I can always answer questions about that. I climbed there regularly for 2 years. Also lived in SLO and climbing Bishop's peak and some of the smaller crags there as well.

Love Squamish too but it's still far!! Also climbed in Wanaka in New Zealand a couple of times. Would love to go back but definitely far away :(

(This post was edited by pmcheng on Feb 26, 2008, 7:37 PM)

arctic_queen

Mar 1, 2008, 5:26 AM
Post #11 of 29 (16292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey ladies! What an awesome thread! I live in Anchorage, Alaska, so actual gym climbing is scarce, however we have outdoor climbing like nowhere else. its amazing! in the summer we can climb 23 hours a day. Close climbing is 5 minutes down the highway...however it is somewhat loud, being right next to the highway. Going into the mountains surrounding anchorage, there's climbing everywhere you look...you just have to be willing to hike to get to it. as an aside...i am doing a road trip up the alaska highway with friend and we are making a stop in Squamish. Sounds like some of you are familiar with the area...could anyone give me any info on it or any routes/areas they recommend?

Thanks!
Emily

livvy

Mar 7, 2008, 6:11 AM
Post #12 of 29 (16179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I grew up in WA but have been living in CO for the last 6 years and learned to climb out here. I'll be moving to Sidney BC (20 min North of Victoria) sometime over the summer.

Did you say Squamish road trip???!

bizarrodrinker

Mar 7, 2008, 2:27 PM
Post #13 of 29 (16168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Soon to be BC.

maww

Mar 7, 2008, 6:04 PM
Post #14 of 29 (16155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [livvy] Where's your local climbing area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

livvy wrote:
I grew up in WA but have been living in CO for the last 6 years and learned to climb out here. I'll be moving to Sidney BC (20 min North of Victoria) sometime over the summer.

Did you say Squamish road trip???!

Good luck with the move Livvy!

I'm in CO too but learned to climb in WI. Love it here wayyyyy more than WI I must admit. ;)

livvy

Mar 7, 2008, 6:29 PM
Post #15 of 29 (16150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [arctic_queen] Where's your local climbing area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We had an absolutely beautiful day on "Diedre" in Squamish. Middle two pitches of gorgeous slabby layback granite.
In reply to:

livvy

Mar 7, 2008, 6:30 PM
Post #16 of 29 (16148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maww] Where's your local climbing area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks - Rainy in BC compared to CO but we have a sailboat we will be living on and I can't do *that* in CO :)

maww

Mar 7, 2008, 7:09 PM
Post #17 of 29 (16138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [livvy] Where's your local climbing area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

livvy wrote:
Thanks - Rainy in BC compared to CO but we have a sailboat we will be living on and I can't do *that* in CO :)

True true! Our landlocked-ness (no that's not a real word I know) is the only drawback to this state. The sailing is going to be awesome - enjoy!

debsanders

Apr 22, 2008, 1:25 AM
Post #18 of 29 (15893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maww] Where's your local climbing area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently moved from Dallas to the Ozarks in Arkansas and have climbing galore; Horse Shoe Canyon, Sam's Throne, Mount Magazine and the list goes on. The closest place is ten minutes from the house.

It is sandstone and sandstone with limestone mixed in some areas; sport, trad and bouldering. Your shoes just sick to the rock. The area has the Buffalo National River and miles of hiking trails.

Now if I could just stay home long enough to climb.

Anyone coming this way shoot me an email we often host climbers at the house.

Dirt Debbie

RockWoman

Apr 22, 2008, 5:33 AM
Post #19 of 29 (15877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi:I'm so happy to have found a place where I can touch base with other female climbers! I agree climbing with other women ROCKS!Cool I live in Houston and unfortunately there's nothing but gym routes and of course "buildering". The closest places that I know and visit are in the Hill Country(Austin, etc)-about 3 hours+ away. Good limestone at Reimers, Greenbelt, etc and of course granite at Enchanted Rock. Loads more beta if people want to know.

On a different note, I am going to be moving soon and making a career change. I want to live where I can be on the rock within 30 min - 1 hour after work. I know the areas in Texas, but can people give me some beta about other places (Virginia, Midwest, California, etc)?
Thanks, Taz

rockgirlCO

Jun 8, 2008, 2:31 AM
Post #20 of 29 (15621 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RockWoman] Where's your local climbing area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm another Boulder, CO climber so my local climbing areas are: Eldo, Flatirons and Boulder Canyon usally. Occasionally: Table Mountain in Golden, Vedauwoo (annually) and Shelf (a couple times a year). Lately, I've been spending a lot of time in Boulder Canyon on rough bomber granite. SO much to pick from now that I've graduated to the moderate grades. Smile

Last year was my first major "roadtrip" year: Vedauwoo twice, Shelf twice, Yosemite 1st time ever (!!) and back to Squamish for the first time in about 6-7 years. Don't think I can top that this year...but at least I've got Squamish scheduled again.

stymingersfink

Jun 9, 2008, 6:11 AM
Post #21 of 29 (15596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RockWoman] Where's your local climbing area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RockWoman wrote:
On a different note, I am going to be moving soon and making a career change. I want to live where I can be on the rock within 30 min - 1 hour after work. I know the areas in Texas, but can people give me some beta about other places (Virginia, Midwest, California, etc)?
Thanks, Taz
depends. what's the career field you're moving into?

I heard on the radio today that Utah's current job growth is currently 2%, or 6x the national average. Here in SLC, we're more on the order of 15-20min from the crag, depending on which one you choose, and less than 1.5 hrs from several world-class destination locations. Tongue

crankslut

Jun 17, 2008, 6:38 AM
Post #22 of 29 (15417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey- I am a novice- I got into climbing about three years ago and am moving to Bend, Oregon (near to Smith Rock) and would love to hook up with some lady climbers who are chill and not into it for the bragging rights but for the awesome experience! I only climb sport, can't lead yet, but I am a great belay. I am so glad to find a forum of other ladies who are also climbers!

caliclimbergrl

Jun 17, 2008, 6:43 AM
Post #23 of 29 (15416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crankslut] Where's your local climbing area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When are you moving? I'll be at Smith this coming weekend (June 20 - 22). I've you'll be out there by then, let me know! If not, maybe in the Fall.

nicolebridges1983

Sep 13, 2008, 7:34 AM
Post #24 of 29 (15087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Everyone,

Well i'm going to add something different. I've only just been introduced to the world of climbing. My finace has been doing it for years and like the old saying goes if you can't beat em, join em. So that's what i did. I live in Australia and i've been learning to climb at Mt Arapiles.

I hope one day to travel with him and do some climbs in the States. My Fiance is a MASSIVE fan of Yosemite and while i think those climbs are way outta my league, i guess you can never say never.

(This post was edited by nicolebridges1983 on Sep 13, 2008, 7:35 AM)

blueshrimp

Sep 13, 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #25 of 29 (15038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nicolebridges1983] Where's your local climbing area? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in Switzerland. Since Switzerland can be traversed in 3 hours by train, ALL of Switzerland (and the Alps within it) is "the local crag"! (Cool, huh?)

Gimme a shout if you're in the neighborhood.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook