RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

deathbybowtie

Mar 11, 2008, 2:48 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2739 views)
Shortcut

Knots in slackline
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Some friends and I are looking to try out slacklining once all the snow melts, and we're trying to keep costs to a minimum (on the off chance we don't like it we won't have spent a bunch on dedicated slacking gear), so we're relying mostly on old climbing gear. We're pretty well set as far as anchoring and tensioning materials, but the longest webbing we have to make the line itself is about 25 feet long. We have two pieces of approximately that length, I'm wondering if we can join them with a water knot to make a longer line, and if it's legit, will it cause any other problems (hard to get over, causes the line to twist, etc)?

NJSlacker

Mar 11, 2008, 3:25 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deathbybowtie] Knots in slackline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitely would NOT use a water knotted line to walk on. Knots are one of the main weak points in webbing, and it wouldn't be safe to have a compromised main line.

I've been in your situation (had a longer line, but had to cut out abrasions in the dead center of the line. If you have enough 'biners, and you aren't looking to set up a line longer than 25 feet, what I would do is use one line for the main line and one line for the pulley system. I'd attach the anchor to one end of it, and clove-hitch your biners into the other end. Then attach the other line to the other anchor (which should have a few 'biners too) and run the second line back and forth between the anchor and the main line 'biners. It'll work just like a primitive system, but backwards.

richardvg03

Mar 12, 2008, 1:52 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes you can... I've done it. My old line busted so we took the two peices of webbing and tied them together and it worked like a champ...

deathbybowtie

Mar 12, 2008, 5:22 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, the guy who had the webbing now informs me that he was going to donate it because it's "unfit for climbing"; it has several abraded spots and a few tears. Looks like I'll be buying some webbing anyway... Crazy

Thanks for your responses, though.

Partner slacklinejoe

Mar 13, 2008, 5:02 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

deathbybowtie wrote:
Looks like I'll be buying some webbing anyway... Crazy

I've got a ton of used webbing that is in good shape for slacking I could hook you up with fairly cheap. Most of it is just a bit dirty, was on a demo line or was used in a prototype line that I chopped up for the hardware afterwards. I can't sell it as new and it could go towards a good cause getting someone into the sport. If your interested just let me know what length you are looking for.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Mar 13, 2008, 5:03 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook