Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Anchor bolts at trad crag.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

keithspernak

Sep 13, 2007, 3:24 PM
Post #1 of 11 (8411 views)
Shortcut

Anchor bolts at trad crag.  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Southern_Oregon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yo,
Just asking to see if anyone cares, but I was seriously considering putting some anchor bolts mid way up a trad climb. It is at the Youtlkut Pillars, a place where hardly anyone climbs. I like to keep trad climbs, trad climbs but at this chossy crag I believe that putting in anchors half way up a 150' crack would bring a diamond out of the ruff. There is a great offwith crack that is suprisingly solid and clean for half the route, then one must pull an east loose buldge to absolute crap. I think putting anchors after the offwith part would make the climb more enjoyable and even more important safe. Just asking if anyone cares.
Thanks

lucander

Sep 13, 2007, 3:42 PM
Post #2 of 11 (8386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keithspernak] Anchor bolts at trad crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've climbed at the Pillars and was, like you, not particularly fond of the rock quality. Take it for what it is, let Smith be Smith, and leave Oregon's unsightly choss piles the way they are. Although Oregon doesn't have much fantastic stone, it has some of the biggest little adventures anywhere. It's been years but I remember Wolf Rock, Acker Rock, and some ground up FAs at Crater Lake being particularly good diamonds in the rough.

As a counter, I'll probably never revisit the grid bolted areas outlying Ashland - each route seemed softly graded (even by Oregon standards) and, far worse, nothing was unique about them.

All that said, I'll probably never climb anywhere in the state again and my voice probably is one of the few who holds this opinion. A better recourse would be to discuss the issue with other locals (do the Pillars ever have those?) who could likely be identified through Greg Orton.

Happy Climbing,
David

tradmanclimbs

Sep 13, 2007, 4:11 PM
Post #3 of 11 (8366 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lucander] Anchor bolts at trad crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If its an established trad climb with a decent gear anchor then the short answer is no. If the 2nd pitch is total dog poo and the local climbing comunity can come to a majority opinion that a bolted belay is a good idea there then yes. Good luckWink in the meantime hammer in a few pins , sling a chockstone, pound a hex in etc. slings and rings. If that anchor survives for a decade or so replace it with bolts...

keithspernak

Mar 11, 2008, 5:18 PM
Post #4 of 11 (8191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

O.K. , so if anyone ever reads this, the Pillars are off limits to new bolting. If you have the hankering to climb there, bring a brush (to clean) and two ropes and a few double length slings (if you want to top rope). Oh yeah, belay should probably wear a helmet (don't worry there will be no one there to see you with it on).

Tree_wrangler

Mar 11, 2008, 5:33 PM
Post #5 of 11 (8159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1.) It's not just a climber's agreement that there will be no more bolting....it is illegal there to bolt beyond what's been done.

2.) I care. There's nothing wrong with Youtlkut, in fact, I like it lots, and so do lots of other folks who don't have any trouble there. It's already a diamond. If you're having problems, you should get some more experience or climb somewhere else.

3. ) Belayer doesn't need a helmet. Smart folks belay from the road, safely and comfortably. Helmets are generally smart everywhere though. No shame.

(This post was edited by Tree_wrangler on Mar 11, 2008, 5:34 PM)

keithspernak

Mar 11, 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #6 of 11 (8107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tree_wrangler] Anchor bolts at trad crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was kidding about the helmet comment. It's nice to hear that others get out there. I guess I'm not worthy enough though.

Tree_wrangler

Mar 11, 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #7 of 11 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, I was just in a real hurry and not really thoughtful.

Personally (legal issues aside), I sure wouldn't mind seeing development continue at Youtlkut. As you know, half or more of the columns remain unclimbed (or undocumented) and don't have top anchors.

But I don't really see the need to rework what's been climbed already. The rock quality really is pretty good there, it's just that it doesn't get climbed enough to become polished and greasy, like most of the over-climbed cracks at Smith, or at the Skinners columns.....

So, what route are you referring too, anyways? For the record, a massive detached column at the top of "Double Crack" made an ominous shifting sound when I yarded on it a couple of years ago. I just avoid it now, but it isn't reliably fused to the rest of the columns..........and it will be a real fright if someone eventually dislodges it......(it could kill multiple victims)

If I sounded a little.....defensive......It's just because I really dig Youtlkut. So far I've met two types of folks there (if at all)...the ones who hated it because of the minor inconveniences (like the rope-eater cracks), and folks who left raving about how great it was to have good cracks to climb.....

And of course...the setting is just lovely.
ciao.

keithspernak

Mar 12, 2008, 12:12 AM
Post #8 of 11 (8039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tree_wrangler] Anchor bolts at trad crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, sorry if I came across a bit abrasive also. I had nothing to do today, so I was just cruising around rc.com and saw my old post and wanted to state that bolting is a no-no up there.
The climb I was referring to is The Dime. It protects very well, but the final thirty feet or so after pulling the bulge is loose. Bulge included.
By the way, I have never placed a bolt in my life, and if I was going to I would definitely consult several folks including the land management. I just wish there was a horn to sling or something for the first part of the climb. I guess it should just be top roped. I never thought of belaying from the road. Good call!!!
Anyway, if you see an old, rusty, red subaru parked at a crag somewhere that's me.
Take care,
Keith Spernak

iching

Sep 21, 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #9 of 11 (7115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keith,
Top anchors would be a great improvement.
You have enough experience to know what is needed and what would be too much.
There are definitly bolts that could use replacing.
Tree Wrangler is incorrect. Bolting is not illegal. In fact he's full of shit.

healyje

Sep 22, 2009, 8:43 AM
Post #10 of 11 (7018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This isn't really the right forum to include Oregon climbers' opinion of your proposal. To do that you'd need to post up over at http://cascadeclimbers.com/...php/activetopics/1/1

iching

Sep 23, 2009, 6:40 AM
Post #11 of 11 (6905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Anchor bolts at trad crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, Joeseph.
This is the correct forum Youtlkut Pillars.
How are things on Beacon?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook