RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

kriso9tails

Mar 10, 2008, 8:57 AM
Post #1 of 9 (4933 views)
Shortcut

rough concept
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

well, I pulled some old jpegs together as a draft, but I can't get it to work really. Even if it is a draft, the only thing that truly pisses me off is how much the web rapes the colour here.

http://www.flickr.com/.../2323762968/sizes/o/

--------- edit ------------

er, feel free to ignore last night's 2:00 am ramblings below

--------- edit ------------

My primary concerns up to this point are thus:

i) composition won't work with this set up and these wings - it's too square, too disjointed and as such is static; the image should be a wider landscape reading left to right... also, with these wings it's unclear that you're looking at the trees in the background

ii) Not sure what to do for wings... I'm pushing it on the cliché scale already I feel.

iii) the original idea was to do a frontal portrait and, much the same as the rock is now (desaturated/ high contrast), have a bit if a city scene (street) with a bit of sidewalk or a car with a similar fade to white. The model would be dressed to climb, hovering (toes pointed down) a litte ways off the ground, face turned down to left with similar expression as the girl in this shot and the wings would bleed through to a bright background... but I dunno:

too contrived without enough originality? I'm not trying to be deep or metaphorical or nothin', just a bit of a 'feeling trapped in the city with climbing on the brain' theme.

(This post was edited by kriso9tails on Mar 11, 2008, 4:39 AM)

wes_allen

Mar 11, 2008, 3:26 AM
Post #2 of 9 (4908 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] rough concept [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting idea, but they way it is now isn't really working. The elements are way to different to mesh into one photo, so maybe make it all desaturated, or add color back. And drop the photo in the wings, and make them much less thick or something. They way overpower the climber as is. And, since you are doing more digital illustration, I would go ahead and remove the rope and draw.

Partner philbox

Mar 11, 2008, 9:51 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] rough concept [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah a couple of little fairy wings would suffice. I like the concept however.

King-0f-Clever

Mar 12, 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #4 of 9 (4848 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] rough concept [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok first off great idea. i have to agree the wings are way too big. try and down size them if you can also it just feels like there is way too much white.

kriso9tails

Mar 12, 2008, 4:58 PM
Post #5 of 9 (4838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [King-0f-Clever] rough concept [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh, I feel this draft was a bit misleading with regard to the direction I'm planning on taking this, especially about the wings; nothing has actually been shot for this yet. That said, the feedback was what I was looking for. It'll go a long way to wasting less time later on.

The original sketch (and eventually the final image) is a very different layout and composition (or rather, there is a composition and not a random grouping of elements). Unfortunately, I accidentally recycled it ><

For the wings I will also move closer to the original idea: no black for certain, closer to bird wings and a little less realistic (more of a shape). The background that I will bleed through will also be something much clearer than RRG woods (from the desert or the coast). The trick is just going to be managing proportions, balance and blending.

deepplaymedia

Mar 12, 2008, 5:23 PM
Post #6 of 9 (4834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Curious to see where you end up taking this! Please keep us posted!

RE colour being raped: are you paying attention to your colour profiles?

-jc.

kriso9tails

Mar 12, 2008, 6:40 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4828 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deepplaymedia] rough concept [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deepplaymedia wrote:
RE colour being raped: are you paying attention to your colour profiles?

-jc.

After I typed that I realized that I hadn't proofed colours and the colour profile was still Adobe RGB... haste makes waste I guess, so I don't really have any right to complain.

To be honest though, web output always disturbs me. With print, you get the printer profile, adjust accordingly and the result is fairly objective. With web... damned if I know. With so many different monitors all with different calibrations (or lack thereof), who knows what people see. Seems to be the biggest failing of most photography I see online, but if anyone has settings that they've found particularly decent for web display from a mac (MacBook Pro or Cinema display in my case), I'm all ears.

lhwang

Mar 17, 2008, 4:26 AM
Post #8 of 9 (4610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm... that sounds like a very cool idea. I don't think it's cliche at all.

So in the piece you describe (the frontal portrait) would you have wings on either side of the girl?

kriso9tails

Mar 19, 2008, 6:33 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] rough concept [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
Hmm... that sounds like a very cool idea. I don't think it's cliche at all.

So in the piece you describe (the frontal portrait) would you have wings on either side of the girl?

Yes. I'm in Joshua Tree right now (well 29 Palms or whatever it's called at this exact moment) so I should be able to get a nice background for what I want to do. If I' not satisfied with that I'll be in Bishop next week.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook