RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

rck_climber

Oct 15, 2001, 6:18 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1854 views)
Shortcut

Shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

First, you need to decide what type of climbing you'll be doing, all-day trad routes; short, intense sport routes; bouldering? Crack, face, slab, invert?

All these things will factor in heavily on which shoe will be best for what you're going to be doing.

From there you can start to zero in on some features that you'll want and narrow it down from there.

Mick

paulc

Oct 15, 2001, 7:19 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1854 views)
Shortcut

Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bacon;

Mmmmm, bacon. Lovely juicy bacon....
oh sorry I didn't see you there.

Check out a couple of the articles under the articles section that detail the difference between shoe types for differnt types of climbing. Also keep in mind that a huge part of shoes is what fits you best not what your buddy thinks is good.

Paul

PS since I haven't seen you around before today, welcome aboard.

munckee

Oct 17, 2001, 2:09 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1854 views)
Shortcut

Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Another piece of advice: try on as many different models as you can get your hands on before you buy. Make sure that you can try them on a wall too. This can be tough sometimes, but many stores have a small wall to test on. Many gyms also carry a small selection of shoes and gear; they will often let you hop on the wall with the shoes. Otherwise, check out the return policy. I have been in the market for a new pair of shoes for a while.

Even when I did know exactly what I am looking for, I have had a TON of trouble. I bought a pair from the gym after wearing them for a few minutes, but have since found that they pull my heel funny after about an hour. I ordered 3 different sizes of a shoe I thought would work from a mail order company and found they didn't work either. I have literally tried on every shoe in town in my size that is even remotely close to what I'm looking for.

Please understand, I'm not trying to scare you. It is a fun and interesting process, but it can be costly if you're unsure of what you buy. TRY, TRY, TRY...and try some more. Good Luck!!

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook