RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

munckee

Sep 26, 2001, 7:28 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2243 views)
Shortcut

What kind of home wall do you have?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I built one last Christmas in my very small apt. bedroom. It offers good space, but the design isn't great and I find that I don't like climbing on it as much as I had hoped. Can anyone offer some ideas for a wall in very limited space? I Have an 8'x 13' room to work with and I can't block off either end (ie no cave). Thanks!

*I forgot to mention before, but I also need to fit a bed in that room. Any other ideas would be great! Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: munckee on 2001-09-26 13:04 ]

wigglestick

Sep 26, 2001, 7:50 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2243 views)
Shortcut

What kind of home wall do you have? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a wall in my basement (read low ceiling, just over 7') It is 12' wide and at a 45 degree angle. I have a one foot high kickplate at the bottom which is vertical. In all I suppose I have about 140 square feet of space. Not alot but it works good for when I don't have the time or the cash to go to the gym or go outside. Plus I can play whatever music I want and as loud as I want. I need a big mattress or something though.

jdcox_9

Sep 26, 2001, 8:44 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am building a wall in my dorm room(not much room). Have you considered an adjustable wall? You can get more variety for the same space.

ratstar

Sep 26, 2001, 8:49 AM
Post #4 of 12 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a hangboard. Does that count? I cant really put a wall in my house and the closest gym is about 50 miles away.

bart

Sep 26, 2001, 9:35 AM
Post #5 of 12 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have a home wall, and I won't have one in the next five years or so, because I still live with my parents. But I am thinking of getting a hangboard.

munckee

Oct 15, 2001, 1:20 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just thought I'd mention it. I was having a lot of trouble with my wall in its previous design, so over the weekend I rebuilt it. It not consists of a 1ft kick panel leading into a 30* wall that extends to a height of ~7.5ft which leads into a 3 foot roof. Opposite this is a vertical section that is missing about 44" in the middle so it works for traverses, but not ascents (I am still debating whether to fill it in or not). The wall is completely freestanding and is uniformly 64" wide. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I'll repost once I have.

Anyway, I was excited and needed to share, and I figured this was the best place (most of my friends just look at me like I'm nuts).

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 15, 2001, 1:24 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Plaster.

greatgarbanzo

Oct 15, 2001, 2:11 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own a (4x8)feet piece of plywood with tons of wood-made holds and a fully adjustable overhang. This is the best climbing training i have done so far to improve finger strenght: System training.

munckee

Oct 16, 2001, 7:20 AM
Post #9 of 12 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slush: I checked out the virtual woodie as well, but unfortunately only after I had built my wall. If I had the space and the resources, I would definitely build one of theirs. It is a simple build and I really love the idea of being able to share problems, etc. The only downfall to it is that the holds are realtively expensive and take forever to arrive if you take advantage of their free shipping. Otherwise, the wall looks great. It would be a good angle to train on and would remain relatively interesting. If you have some extra space, check out their other "woodie plans" and maybe build another section next to the virtual woodie section.

Also, will you be building free-standing or on an existing wall? Free-standing is a bit tougher because you have to support the structure and make sure that it is stable. The problem that I ran into with my first design was that it was too steep to train footwork and became a complete power-fest with all of my weight resting in my arms. My biggest issue with that was that my hands got too sore from the holds to train for extended periods. My advice would be to stick to simple designs and spice it up with holds, then go to the gym to train on more exotic surfaces.

tristero

Oct 16, 2001, 1:03 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know anyone who is considering building a wall is probably very psyched about getting it up fast and to start climbing....use that energy to plan, plan, plan your wall before you build it. 1. use too many T-nuts, you will be glad you did when you can change problems at your whim. 2. make it more challenging than you think you can handle, you will grow stronger. (my wall is 8' wide 12' tall in my garage, overhung at about 15 degrees) 3. get help, I bought pizza and pop and invited a few climbing friends over, with their ideas, strength and tools we had it done in about four hours. 4.Enjoy.

tangboy

Oct 16, 2001, 2:55 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

at the beginning of the summer my brother brainstormed and shelled out mad cash to build a climbing wall. its boulderable, topropeable, and sportable. 3 sides, one vert with variety of holds, one invert with lots of crimpers and one/two digit holds several jugs, and an overhang. check it out at....
http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/climber/
i don't remember what picture page it is, just start at the top. i need to shoot some more shots so you can see the whole thing. each wall is 8 foot wide, and 16 foot tall. the overhang has a 8 foot vert start, 8 foot overhang, then another 4 foot vert and topout. we even have board on top of it all to sit on and laugh at the loosers below who couldn't do it. its a lot of fun and the endless possiblities of problems is awesome!!! total cost... $1600 rough estimation. total construction time... bout 1 week on and off work! my brother rocks!!!
tang

dreweppens

Oct 16, 2001, 7:14 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just built a cave in my basement. it's only about seven feet tall, but it has a vertical wall, a 30 degree wall, a half vertical half 45 degree wall, and a roof. It's not very tall, but it's still fairly hard.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook