Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Sport Climbing:
Quickdraws: opposing biners or both the same way?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

on_sight_man

May 26, 2004, 12:41 PM
Post #26 of 56 (9906 views)
Shortcut

Re: Quickdraws: opposing biners or both the same way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So there are two things. First the bolt on the hanger and the hanger-side draw. Second the rope and the rope-side draw. Since bolts are not put in with this in mind all the time (barely ever I would think actually), there are times when it needs to be one way and times the other. I've been told recently that actually it's best to have a mix so you can pick the right draw for the clip.

dc

May 26, 2004, 12:45 PM
Post #27 of 56 (9906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

personal preference... and what everyone else has said...

andyw

Jun 2, 2004, 6:08 AM
Post #28 of 56 (9906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just dont back clip, the opposing gate thing is good too.

Partner j_ung

Oct 8, 2004, 3:40 PM
Post #29 of 56 (9906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I call it personal preference, but I do have a good reason for doing it my way. I have mine both the same direction, for the reasons tech_dog wrote, and I always face the gates away from the direction of travel. Takes away the chance of the rope crossing the gate, or the top biner rotating and unclipping from the bolt.

Winner. :D

The gates of both biners should face away from the direction of travel and to do that, they have to face the same way.

omenbringer

Oct 8, 2004, 4:04 PM
Post #30 of 56 (9906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So there are two things. First the bolt on the hanger and the hanger-side draw. Second the rope and the rope-side draw. Since bolts are not put in with this in mind all the time (barely ever I would think actually), there are times when it needs to be one way and times the other. I've been told recently that actually it's best to have a mix so you can pick the right draw for the clip.
This is how I carry my QD's, half are opposite and half are the same. That way I can always place the bolt end so the spine is toward the bolt and the rope end so it is opposite the direction of travel. I rack the QD's the same way everytime, opposites on the left hip, sames on the right, it works for me!

davidji

Oct 8, 2004, 4:12 PM
Post #31 of 56 (9918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is how I carry my QD's, half are opposite and half are the same. That way I can always place the bolt end so the spine is toward the bolt and the rope end so it is opposite the direction of travel. I rack the QD's the same way everytime, opposites on the left hip, sames on the right, it works for me!
If the rope isn't travelling towards the bolt side of the hanger, then it doesn't matter if the spine of the biner is toward the bolt or not, since the QD won't rotate up towards the bolt. Therefore having the biners facing the same way works just fine essentially everywhere.

Are there exceptions? Probably. If you had to move to the right when above the bolt, but then go left again, you might want the rope side facing left, but could still rotate the QD up & right. Givin the unlikelyhood of self-unclipping anyway, and the fact that having the biners facing the same way solves the vast majority of such cases, it seems like the better way to me.

pentapitch

Nov 5, 2004, 2:25 PM
Post #32 of 56 (9918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one thing no has mentioned is that if your gates face the same way, it is much, much easier for the second to clean the draws. give a try and see. as for multipitching, it saves time and energy and the rack is easier to clean up and organize for the next pitch.

gunkyjon

Nov 5, 2004, 9:52 PM
Post #33 of 56 (9918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my opinion it doesnt really matter its all in how you clip the rope

ron_burgandy

Dec 7, 2004, 8:17 PM
Post #34 of 56 (9918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have all of my draws set up with opposing gates- for me it is easier to remember to clip with the gate (bolt end) facing which way i want to go- other wise it is personal preference. it can get confusing if you have a mixture though. if you are in a precarious clip stance and you have to switch the orientation of your draw you end up wasting energy or falling because of it.

USnavy

Feb 26, 2008, 6:55 AM
Post #35 of 56 (6003 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by USnavy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

Partner epoch

Feb 26, 2008, 11:30 AM
Post #36 of 56 (5986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Quickdraws: opposing biners or both the same way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Having both gates is the safest option. You won’t find a single manufacturer that will say opposing gates is safer. However you will find plenty saying gates on the same side is safer. I keep my gates on the same side personally.
Really?

Could you show me where you've seen this? Cause I'm calling BS on this statement.

winglessangel

Feb 26, 2008, 1:18 PM
Post #37 of 56 (5971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sarcat] Quickdraws: opposing biners or both the same way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use them both facing the same way cause of the rotation issue.
And this seems to be 'standard' around here, most climbers I know do that.

Now, I'm not sure I understand that:
sarcat wrote:
... make sure that as you climb the TOP biner gate does not 'rest' in the bolt. You want the spine in the bolt....
could you explain, plz?

thanks

(This post was edited by winglessangel on Feb 26, 2008, 1:28 PM)

shockabuku

Feb 26, 2008, 2:01 PM
Post #38 of 56 (5957 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beesty511] Quickdraws: opposing biners or both the same way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "beesty511"]Because of the bolt head protruding out of the hanger. The protruding bolt head is on one side of the hanger, and if the gate of the top biner of the draw is on the same side as the bolt, as the climber moves upward, the rope can rotate the draw around the hanger until the gate of the top biner presses on the head of the bolt, and the draw can potentially unclip.[/quote]

This one's got it right.

shockabuku

Feb 26, 2008, 2:03 PM
Post #39 of 56 (5955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Quickdraws: opposing biners or both the same way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
USnavy wrote:
Having both gates is the safest option. You won’t find a single manufacturer that will say opposing gates is safer. However you will find plenty saying gates on the same side is safer. I keep my gates on the same side personally.
Really?

Could you show me where you've seen this? Cause I'm calling BS on this statement.

Which statement are you looking for proof of: the one claiming that having a gate on both of your biners is the safest option (which is pretty damn obvious), or the claim(s) about manufacturers?

sky7high

Feb 26, 2008, 2:55 PM
Post #40 of 56 (5945 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tallnik] Quickdraws: opposing biners or both the same way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, a friend of mine has been climbing on draws with opposing biners for many many years, and he's never experienced the gate unclipping that has been mentioned. Not to say it's impossible, just very unlikely and probably far from "deadly". Personally, I climb with biners facing the same way.

microbarn

Feb 26, 2008, 3:08 PM
Post #41 of 56 (5937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I commend you doing a search, but the 4 year old thread resurrection wasn't necessary.

murph24

Mar 20, 2008, 1:44 AM
Post #42 of 56 (5792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:

The draws shown on DMM's site are all opposing
http://www.dmmclimbing.com/...=2&page=Products

yokese

Mar 20, 2008, 2:19 AM
Post #43 of 56 (5776 views)
Shortcut

Re: [murph24] Quickdraws: opposing biners or both the same way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

murph24 wrote:
USnavy wrote:

The draws shown on DMM's site are all opposing
http://www.dmmclimbing.com/...=2&page=Products

Very true. Moreover, their model "mamba" can't be reoriented.

therat

Mar 20, 2008, 2:31 AM
Post #44 of 56 (5771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Interesting...

What manufacturers DO say is to trust your belay loop as a single attachment point for rappeling... just as Todd Skinner did... even though this method creates no "redundence". The whole "triaxial loading" theory seems to outweigh the safety of multiple attachment points. (They want to cover their ass as best as possible...)

Regarding this thread, it's always been my practice to apply logical thought to each placement individually.

Example: Crack climbing... fairly "deep" placement in a crack that is "offset out" on the left side, and the route direction obviously moves right. The gate on the ROPE side of the draw should face left... however if the gate on the PROTECTION side faces left, there is quite a bit of potential for the 'biner to "bounce" against the rock during movement and open. Therefore, in this situation, I would have my gates opposed.

(This post was edited by therat on Mar 20, 2008, 2:39 AM)

jakedatc

Mar 20, 2008, 3:13 AM
Post #45 of 56 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Re: [therat] Quickdraws: opposing biners or both the same way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

therat wrote:
What manufacturers DO say is to trust your belay loop as a single attachment point for rappeling... just as Todd Skinner did... even though this method creates no "redundence". The whole "triaxial loading" theory seems to outweigh the safety of multiple attachment points. (They want to cover their ass as best as possible...) .

that's a piss poor argument .. the manufacturers also say to check your gear regularly for wear and replace it. which he did... then ignored the signs and kept wearing it.
your rope is a single attachment also your belay biner and device. like your belay loop it should not take that much force and are overbuilt for their job if used correctly.

I keep my draws all the same and switch them if there is something that might interfere with either of the gates or use a longer draw or a locker on the bolt if it is placed poorly.
I wouldn't take how they are pictured in the catalog to mean jack shit.. i'd guess that it's the way the photog wanted them so they looked better.

jt512

Mar 20, 2008, 5:09 AM
Post #46 of 56 (5719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:

Hey, thanks for resurrecting a 4-year-old thread in order to interject the wisdom you have gleaned from your nearly 1 year of climbing.

Jay

linvillelover

Mar 20, 2008, 4:31 PM
Post #47 of 56 (5685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have many times looked down and seen the draw below me rotated to where the wiregate was resting in the bolt. thats not fun.

ideally, you want the gate facing out and away from the bolt , which is determined by the travel. Just like the rope end biner, you want it Not backclipped and also correctly oriented for the way which you intend to travel.

now does this means the same way or opposite? i think it depends on the bolt and the route.

mine are all opposed.

jt512

Mar 20, 2008, 4:39 PM
Post #48 of 56 (5682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [linvillelover] Quickdraws: opposing biners or both the same way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

linvillelover wrote:
i have many times looked down and seen the draw below me rotated to where the wiregate was resting in the bolt. thats not fun.

ideally, you want the gate facing out and away from the bolt , which is determined by the travel. Just like the rope end biner, you want it Not backclipped and also correctly oriented for the way which you intend to travel.

now does this means the same way or opposite? i think it depends on the bolt and the route.

mine are all opposed.

The first bolded statement is a result of the second bolded statement.

Jay

wenclg1

Mar 20, 2008, 4:54 PM
Post #49 of 56 (5667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not for sure if this will do anythign for the thread, but here you go.

"We orient our carabiners on all our standard quickdraws with the gates facing opposite each other. We feel that this is the safestmethod to minimize the possibility of simultaneously loading both carabiners in a gate-open position while leading routes which may wander above and to the left or right of your last placement. Under certain circumstances, it is possible for both gates to open during a fall as the ‘draw is scraped along the rock while it orients iteself below the point of protection. By opposing the carabiners on a draw, we reduce the possibility of simultaneous gate-opening in this manner."

http://www.omegapac.com/op_products_climbingquickdraws2.html

altelis

Mar 20, 2008, 4:57 PM
Post #50 of 56 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Quickdraws: opposing biners or both the same way? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you would be foolish to make all your draws oriented the same way.

there are rarely situations in climbing in which you need to consider only a single variable when make a decision. Gate orientation is definitely an area when there are multiple variables to be considered.

For example, we should first consider the bottom gate. Generally it should point opposite expected direction of travel so that rope drag pulls the gate out and away from the rock, minimizing the chance that it will be pulled into a nubbin which may force the gate open. However, some placement situations dictate this orientation is in fact not preferred.

This means that the direction of the bottom gate is a variable and not a constant.

Next we want to consider the top gate in relation to direction of travel/bolt head. Generally this means we want the gate facing the opposite direction of the bolt head. There are however instances when this is less than ideal, like if there is a bulge on that side that immediately puts an opening force on the gate simply with the weight of the draw. so in this case we want the gate facing toward the bolt head..

This means that the direction of the gate of the top biner is also a variable and not a constant.

Therefore we can imagine instances when we want both the top and bottom biner facing the same direction and when they will face opposite directions. Therefore is seems silly to me to have all your draws facing the same way. Climbing is not this monotonous-if it were i probably wouldn't enjoy it as much. Most of my draws are oriented opposite because my experience has shown me this is the orientation I use most often. However some of my draws are oriented in the same direction because, well, sometimes this is what the situation dictates is best.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook