Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Suicide conditions
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

irregularpanda

Mar 20, 2008, 10:08 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Suicide conditions  (North_America: United_States: California: Riverside_County: Suicide_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a buddy I'm meeting up with later this week in so-cal. We were planning on going to suicide rock and tahquitz as well, but a friend of a friend of a kill-joy said that the area was still very snowy.

I'm wondering if anybody has been to the area recently and could fill me in on the road conditions, rock wetness, approaches, etc. BTW, this will be my first time to climb down near there. Also, it sounds like they are planning on going to J-tree if suicide is wet.

It's not that I wouldn't enjoy J-tree, I just want some multi-pitch cracks!!!

drljefe

Mar 20, 2008, 10:36 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Suicide conditions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey brah! I'm in AZ now, but a week ago it looked like it was probably perfect. A storm moved through since then, but don't know how much snow may have fallen. From a distance- I can see the rock from my gf's house- the snow had receeded and looked patchy at best over on the Taquitz side. The approach is straightforward-go UP. Don't worry about the road or wetness. Just worry about which puffy jacket you'll need to really 'stand out' down in so cal! Taquitz is the chit- have fun and be safe! Josh is sure to be a scene, but if you've never been there GO. You can climb alone even on the most hectic days.

irregularpanda

Mar 20, 2008, 10:41 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2201 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drljefe] Suicide conditions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drljefe wrote:
Hey brah! I'm in AZ now, but a week ago it looked like it was probably perfect. A storm moved through since then, but don't know how much snow may have fallen. From a distance- I can see the rock from my gf's house- the snow had receeded and looked patchy at best over on the Taquitz side. The approach is straightforward-go UP. Don't worry about the road or wetness. Just worry about which puffy jacket you'll need to really 'stand out' down in so cal! Taquitz is the chit- have fun and be safe! Josh is sure to be a scene, but if you've never been there GO. You can climb alone even on the most hectic days.

Yo brah, I'll bring a beanie instead of a helmet, it'll be kinda gnar, but tradical too?!?!
Can you really see the rock from your GF's house? That's badass. I'm not saying J-tree would suck, I just love crack rocks and patina edges and long multi-pitch exposure....

I kinda had the impression that the friend of a friend of a buzzkill was not a brah, which means he is always wrong.
If you're gonna be there from 21st to the 1st, you should pm me!

drljefe

Mar 20, 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #4 of 12 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beanies are sick! You'll look feirce! Usually I only use brah when I'm in Hawaii. Before I left for AZ I was thinking how nice it looked up there with bits of snow up high, unfortunately I won't be back til April. Earlier this year the whole mountain was buried and the Rock looked super foreboding, all covered in ice. I kinda like Taquitz better than Suicide although the walk is more of a grunt. Whatever grades you choose to climb, you'll encounter amazing rock, views, and a sense of history that can't be beat in so cal. One of my all time favorite climbs is there- The Vampire- exposure/quality/history. Enjoy

irregularpanda

Mar 20, 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #5 of 12 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drljefe wrote:
Earlier this year the whole mountain was buried and the Rock looked super foreboding, all covered in ice. I kinda like Taquitz better than Suicide although the walk is more of a grunt. Whatever grades you choose to climb, you'll encounter amazing rock, views, and a sense of history that can't be beat in so cal. One of my all time favorite climbs is there- The Vampire- exposure/quality/history. Enjoy

I just called a local business there. Apparently that storm put like 3+ feet in the hills. He was saying that the only routes that would be doable would be south facing and hence shorter.

I wish I could go there, shitty.

drljefe

Mar 20, 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Too bad, looks like drum circles, sobbing girlfriends, wads of tape, and headlamps in your eyes for you. Oh yeah, and TONS of really fun climbing. Refer to a recent thread about RR and Josh for route recommendations and other useful crap. Judging by what little I know about your tastes and dislikes...you're in for a dose... have fun with it.

irregularpanda

Mar 20, 2008, 11:39 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drljefe wrote:
you're in for a dose... have fun with it.

Always do. Although, it's easier to make fun of hippies to their faces than it is brah-dudes. The hippies are more light hearted. I do have options, though, which is good. It's either J-tree (many hours away, world class brahs, paid camping, etc) or there is a secret crag in dire need of development.....(close, unknown, granite, tall, unbolted)

wire brush and shit in your eyes, sounds like fun to me.

drljefe

Mar 20, 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, better call Nomad Ventures just to make sure some one's not trying to throw you off scent... the webcams I checked looked all clear and the forecast too.
54415 N Circle Dr
Idyllwild, CA 92549
(951) 659-4853

If some kook from Reno called me and said "hey brah, I'm thinking of coming into town and wondering how the waves are?" Would I tell him "brah, you're in luck 6-8 and perfect" or "sorry dude, flat for weeks, better go somewhere else."? Luckily, climbers are a bit less territorial than surfers! But still worth a call to a 'dependable' source.

irregularpanda

Mar 20, 2008, 12:15 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drljefe wrote:
Hey, better call Nomad Ventures
(951) 659-4853

I know exactly what you mean, but this was the place I called. It's sad, tapewads, flashlights in my eyes, crash pads, and bro-wads lie in my near future.

Hey, thanks for the help, and if you end up near J-tree in the near future you should PM me today and I'll give you my phone number. At least there's plenty of trad there for me to go crazy.....

drljefe

Mar 20, 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you see some one with tattoos soloing with a chihuahua in their chalkbag, hit me up, I'll load you a rip, brah. Have fun.

irregularpanda

Mar 20, 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drljefe wrote:
If you see some one with tattoos soloing with a chihuahua in their chalkbag, hit me up, I'll load you a rip, brah. Have fun.

I'll be the one with the beanie, growling and snarling like I have rabies, throwing my feces at the boulderers, and howling at the moon.

No seriously though, I met this dude at smith rocks once who climbed with a pet monkey. Monkey was on a little leash, and would do the craziest shit. One day it decided to get mad at the dudes climbing partner, and it took his sandwich, climbed on top of the van, and chewed the sandwich up bit by bit and spit every piece out. Alpha monkey, Brah.

drljefe

Mar 20, 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THAT is funny. Did they do Monkey Space? That's got me thinking, there's a route here in Tucson called Chihuahua Power...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook