Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

beyond_gravity

Oct 28, 2002, 5:15 AM
Post #1 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

cleaning your pee-bottle
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

any ideas?

sushislayer

Oct 28, 2002, 5:22 AM
Post #2 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

cleaning your pee-bottle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmmm... This begs the question, "Why?" But, I'm sure you'll cite environmental concerns about tossing a plastic bottle. I'd guess I'd suggest bleach.

alexinmilton

Oct 28, 2002, 5:27 AM
Post #3 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I might be missing something but why would anyone (except in a car) pee into a bottle?

sushislayer

Oct 28, 2002, 5:30 AM
Post #4 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because they're stuck on a big ass wall.

andy_lemon

Oct 28, 2002, 5:35 AM
Post #5 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Remove the lid, turn opening so it is facing the gravitational pull... lol

Is water not sanitary enough? Give it a wash out in the sink then put it in the sink and stop up the drain, warm water and dish soap.

tommyf

Oct 28, 2002, 5:52 AM
Post #6 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beyond gravity,,,, I wish we were still aloud to rate the users of this site.. I don’t think you would far very well,,, you post lame stuff like this just to get your post count up.. People take a look at some of his post,,,

If you don’t have the commonsense on how to clean the piss out of you bottle that you pissed in then what the hell are you doing climbing

micahmcguire

Oct 28, 2002, 6:04 AM
Post #7 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

out a bit of bleach in the bottle before you use it, a few fluid ounces. It makes cleaning (and sterilizing) almost an automated process, and it never gets all stinky. But yeah, use bleach to clean it, no freakin duh. Doesn't take much advise to figure that one out "beyondgravity"

mainline

Oct 28, 2002, 6:06 AM
Post #8 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Urine is generally sterile when it comes out unless the pee'er has a urinary tract infection.

[ This Message was edited by: mainline on 2002-10-27 22:06 ]

cman

Oct 28, 2002, 1:57 PM
Post #9 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tommyf said it for all of us. Shut it down.

jhump

Oct 28, 2002, 8:25 PM
Post #10 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually this is a very good post, and is something I was just considering. I am doing a long alpine mixed route in May and trying to determine if I can get away without a dedicated pee bottle. This means either waking up in the night to go into the freezing cold Alaskan night, or using a water bottle to pee into then washing it out with snow (or something else) then drinking out of it. Is this a safe practice. I have always heard urine is inert. I do not want to hear speculation or guesses from the peanut gallery on this question. I want to hear from doctors or at least someone who has done this without ill effects. My health is on the line.
Thanks,
Jeremy

jasona

Oct 28, 2002, 8:36 PM
Post #11 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jhump, take a wide mouth nalgene bottle wrap ductape around it and mark it with an X. this is your piss bottle. all the others are for water. Weighs nothing empty and you won't carry it full. do yourself a favor and get one. Nothing sucks work than the two a.m. stunble outside the tent to piss when it is ass cold outside. just be careful not to leak. Widemouth bottles allow you to reduce your change of missing the target.

tradguy

Oct 28, 2002, 8:48 PM
Post #12 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not a doctor, and haven't done what you suggest, but I have been told by doctors that urine is sterile and can be drunk. Certainly not recommended, but if you were out in a desert and ran out of water, it could prolong your life somewhat. As you get more and more dehydrated, though, your urine gets more and more concentrated (ie less recoverable water). I also think it isn't all that great for your kidneys, but what you are suggesting (dumping the urine, wiping with snow, re-using for water) shouldn't be an issue. I would add that I know a guy who drank a pint of his own urine once, and he was fine.

If you're just worried about the weight of a pee-bottle, get a 32 ounce gatorade bottle and use that. They are really light, plenty strong, big enough, seal tight, and have a good sized openning.

I would also add that I've done trips without pee-bottles before (23 days on Mt. Logan in Canada) and while it is annoying having to get up and go outside to pee, it isn't the worst thing in the world - certainly better than having your trip ended because your partner dumps a quart of urine and soaks his down sleeping bag.

jhump

Oct 28, 2002, 8:50 PM
Post #13 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An extra Nalgene does weigh something- .33 lbs for Lexan, and .25 lbs for HDPE. Usually the weight of an extra bottle can be justified (as I have done on many climbs), but not on this climb. If I have to carry an extra bottle, I will just go outside. What I really want to know is can I get away with peeing/drinking with one of the two bottles I'm already going to carry for water.
Jeremy

jhump

Oct 28, 2002, 8:57 PM
Post #14 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't want to carry an extra Gatorade bottle either, because it will have to be lashed to the pack and the pack I am taking has no lash points. I have no room in the pack for 1 L of wasted space. Good idea on the gatorade bottles, though. I am already going to carry 2 gatorade bottles spray painted flat black for my water (to save weight over the Nalgenes)

Partner sauron

Oct 28, 2002, 9:09 PM
Post #15 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Having spent my fair share of time doing trekking in the cold (Norway), I still don't see the problem with getting your arse up, and going outside to take care of your waste needs...

Sure, it's cold - but the view (especially if it's a clear night) of standing outside with no lights on, and watching the stars... Is beautiful. More than once did I end up just standing there looking around at the landscape, and up at the sky during and after taking a late-night piss...

- d.

jasona

Oct 28, 2002, 9:13 PM
Post #16 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am with you Sauron. As long as it is a nice night I don't mind. However when it is hovering around 0 or below with 50mph winds or dumping loads of the white stuff I don't want to have to get out unless I absolutely have to. (i.e. brushing snow off of tent)

gunked

Oct 28, 2002, 9:14 PM
Post #17 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone once told me "on this site" that there are no stupid questions. They were right!

For cold or nasty weather, I usually bring a pee bottle. It's VERY convenient! One thing to keep in mind for current non-pee-bottle-users is that two people can top off one pee-bottle (if each person used it once) very quickly.

I've never cleaned a pee bottle with anything more than a water rinse. I've been using the same bottle for 4-5 years and it's never spilled and it's not nasty.

For future reference, if you don't like a topic or post, then find one that suits you somewhere else. This forum is for everybody to communicate and learn from eachother.

Jason

micahmcguire

Oct 29, 2002, 5:44 AM
Post #18 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no mainline, piss is not sterile. Your body uses urine to excrete impurities found in the blood and filtered by the kidneys. This includes all kinds of nasty organisms. The idea I think has you confused is that piss doesn't tend to contain nearly as many microorganisms as excrement (which contains several very nasty bugs including escherichia coli-the one people are most afraid of). Piss is not horribly septic, but it CERTAINLY is not sanitary. Thats a very, very silly thing to think.

fishypete

Oct 29, 2002, 3:34 PM
Post #19 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry there Micah, but I think someone has been pulling your chain...

Kidney's filtering out "all kinds of nasty microorganisms"?????? You gotta be joking.

As you correctly pointed out, the kidneys do filter out many "impurities" found in the blood. All these impurites are molecules which can pass across the membrane in the glomerulus. These molecules are orders of magnitude smaller than any microorganisms.

You have severe problems if:

A) there are any microorganisms in your blood in the first place (this would be a case of septicemia), and

B) your glomerulii are sufficiently damaged that such MASSIVE particles as microorganisms can pass through! (in this case all the blood cells and platelets etc etc would also end up in urine!)

Urine, and the urinary tract, is basically sterile (with the exception of perhaps the last inch or two).

Hope this helps,

Fishy.

Partner sauron

Oct 29, 2002, 4:23 PM
Post #20 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After four days, the salt and mineral content of your pee (assuming you've drank it all along), becomes so high, it's toxic.

- d.

ktwo

Oct 29, 2002, 4:51 PM
Post #21 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About the drinking your own urine in the desert post, I have heard that it is better if you just physically hold it in for a while. Your body will begin to use all the water in it, and soon you will be left with a thick yellow sludge. You get the same water that you would get from drinking it, without having to drink it.

tradguy

Oct 29, 2002, 5:38 PM
Post #22 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could use duct tape or some 3mm cord to make a "clipping loop" on the gatorade bottle, and connect it to the outside of your pack with a biner, or tie with a small piece of cord, or clip through one of the buckles.

In my experience, anything under 1 quart (or Liter) per person for a pee bottle is pointless, because if I have to pee bad enough in the middle of the night that it wakes me up, I usually come close to filling it myself. If you are sharing a 1 Liter pee bottle with your partner, I feel sorry for whichever of you goes second and has to pinch off.

micahmcguire

Oct 30, 2002, 8:23 PM
Post #23 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yop, you're right pete. Forgot that membrane. Oops. Thanks for the civil heads up.

Drink as much piss as you guys want!

micahmcguire

Oct 30, 2002, 8:51 PM
Post #24 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

KTWO-sorry, but as I understand it that won't work. Most of the water in your body is absorbed in the duodenum and jejunum of the small intestine. By the time your pee is in your bladder, it is rather isolated. It does not reabsorb into your bloodstream or anything. Drinking your pee would likely serve you much better in the desert than holding it in. Withholding feces might help wring as much water out of your digetive matter as possible, who knows.

petsfed

Oct 30, 2002, 8:58 PM
Post #25 of 43 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never thought I'd hear the phrase "Drink as much piss as you guys want!" as a serious statement. I do believe I can now go to sleep happy tonight.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook