RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

.sam.

Mar 27, 2008, 6:48 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1201 views)
Shortcut

niacin effects for altitude
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i was talking to a big high elevation climbing friend of mine and he was saying that before exspeditions he would always get on a regement of niacin to promote blood flow to his exstremetys to avode frostbite. i know that it is sometimes used medicanally to treat a condition that lowers your resistance to cold but i know it can cause skin conditions and lower ability to break down fats. anyone heard of this or have any opinions?
ive gotten perrty bad frostbite before on my toes and nose so im trying to think of anyways to mittigate this since im kinda suseptable now, normally just use asprin. what you think

doktor_g

Mar 27, 2008, 7:14 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1195 views)
Shortcut

Re: [.sam.] niacin effects for altitude [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Niacin is most commonly used in medicine for combating high cholesterol and lowering risk factors for heart attack. It generally has an unsettling side effect of a "hot flush" which makes it unpopular. This hot flush is the dilation of peripheral capillary beds and could conveivably be extended to increase peripheral blood flow.

However, so does alcohol or squirting pepper spray into your socks (niether would be suggested on the mountain).

The dangerous part of increasing blood flow to the extremities is that it makes you radiate and or conduct heat faster. You're body has evolvled to protect the important stuff (vital organs). Frostbite is the body's sacrifice of limb for life (ie perishing from hypothermia). I'll look into this Niacin thing though.

Personally I'd rather go for hand and foot warmers and healthy diet and plenty of water rather than taking some questionable med up high. Sounds risky.

Grover

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook