RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

retro

Apr 3, 2008, 8:42 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1657 views)
Shortcut

Wild Things Andinista
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looking to go lighter and faster. Few bells and whistles, minimalist at heart, easily adjustable with gloves...no tinkering with little fastex buckles and chord in 50MPH winds and 5 below zero. Easy to compress and climb with after dumping it out at camp. Does this one fit the bill??

I understand that with a frameless pack that I will sacrifice some comfort on the long hauls, but much of that can be negated with mindful packing and tryig to keep loads at or below 45 lbs.

I am looking for bare bones, nice lines, no brainer alpine sack with haul loops that actually work and materials that can take it.

Comment or suggestions?

Thanks folks
Chris

tomtom

Apr 3, 2008, 9:47 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [retro] Wild Things Andinista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My primary alpine pack is a Wild Things Icesac. Being smaller, it forces me to carry less crap which has the added advantage of being lighter. For summit day, I leave the lid in the tent, tighten the compression straps, and head up.

retro

Apr 3, 2008, 9:59 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomtom] Wild Things Andinista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Tomtom!

I have a Cold Cold World Chernobyl that I use for just that as well. I almost went with the Icesac as I like that nice clean design. I am looking for something with at least 5000 cubic inches to get the tent, food stuffs, clothing, gear, etc...into camp, and then cinch the pack down for the summit bid.

I currently have the Dana Design Astralplane (7000 ci's). It carries a load like no other, but she weighs in at 8 pounds empty. With the Andinista, I could actually throw the CCW Chernobyl in and still be 5-6 lbs lighter than the Dana. I will sell the Dana on Ebay or something to help with costs of the new pack.

Thanks for the input Tomtom! Wink
Chris

csproul

Apr 7, 2008, 4:40 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I primarily have used the Icesac as well and it is ok for minimal trips for 2-3 days. I usaully do not have a tent when I use it. Loads up to ~40 lbs are ok. I have used the Andinista and thought it worked pretty well too for similar purposes where the added load was mostly more clothing...meaning more volume but not much more weight. When I get into the realm of more than a couple days or want to carry a tent and the weight gets much more than 40 lbs, I would like a minimal suspension. But I do like Wild Things packs because of their lack of extra crap. No extra straps, no elastic, no zippers, just a top loader and a headpiece. They have been very durrable and the Icesac anyway has hauled just fine, and both work great when you have to climb with them on. What I'd really like is an Andinista with a single removable stay!

dps

Apr 7, 2008, 5:43 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Wild Things Andinista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
...What I'd really like is an Andinista with a single removable stay!

Check out Cilogear packs. Pretty much exactly what you are looking for, with improvements on the Andinista design.

retro

Apr 10, 2008, 9:05 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dps] Wild Things Andinista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just ordered the Cilo 60L!!! Can't wait to get it out there and beat on it a bit!!! Wink

Thanks to all who responded to my post
Chris

Partner hosh

Apr 12, 2008, 8:48 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've also got the CiloGear 60L. I frickin' love it! It's the best pack I've ever owned. Hope you love the pack!

hosh.

retro

Apr 12, 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1389 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hosh] Wild Things Andinista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Hosh!

Well...if it's anything like my 40L, I am sure that I will love it too! One thing that I will miss is the zippered outside pocket that was included in the 40L! When the lid was off, that pocket came in very handy with car keys, power bars, gu, extra glove liners, etc...but the60L looks like a pretty solid design! Wink

Chris

manky-choss

Apr 13, 2008, 2:42 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a spectra Andinista. Light, strong, simple, but expensive.

retro

Apr 13, 2008, 2:49 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [manky-choss] Wild Things Andinista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

manky-choss wrote:
I have a spectra Andinista. Light, strong, simple, but expensive.

I hear that!!! I would have to take out a second mortgage on the house for anything made of spectra!! Sweet packs though....should get many years of service out of that one!!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook