Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Crazed Mountain Man-AVOID THIS AREA
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

fairayhd333

Apr 7, 2008, 6:31 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3289 views)
Shortcut

Crazed Mountain Man-AVOID THIS AREA  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: South_Platte_Area: Sphinx_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

PirateBeautiful area! Thought we had found a new favorite spot until our scary encounter leaving the area!

Man approached us with huge stick yelling at us to get off his property, threatened that Sheriff was called and is sick of people on his property!

Never mind keeping a low profile and leaving no trace! We bothered no one, didn't even get to climb, just scoping it out this time! Never going back again. We were surrounded by this man and his wife, forced us across stream and would not stop yelling at us! Avoid at all costs! Its too bad, really beautiful spot! Do not park on gravel road near 83 or you are asking for it!

Anyone ever encounter this guy! Damn, we were being considerate and low key!

potreroed

Apr 7, 2008, 7:01 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3206 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fairayhd333] Crazed Mountain Man-AVOID THIS AREA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Was this posted as private property? To him you were just another in a long line of trespassers. Lucky you didn't get shot.

Partner angry

Apr 7, 2008, 7:08 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You fucked up.

That area is closed, you should not have been there. It all happened in May of 2006, so there has been time to find out.

The property you cross to get to the rock is off limits, to the best of anyone's knowledge, he does not own Sphinx Rock though. The property owner has struck deals with ALL his neighbors and the local enforcement that no-one is to allow access across their property either.

This means that you cannot find a friendlier resident and go through their property. It also means that so much as parking in the area WILL get the attention of the cops.

You might be able to approach it via hot air balloon but even then, he'd probably still call the cops and force a confrontation.

This is not enough of a rock and it's in a MASSIVE climbing area so it won't get the attention of the Access Fund. All you can hope for is that he sells his house.

It's a shame, I really wanted to try Sphinx Crack. The way I see it, I have 15 more years that I'll realistically be able to try this route, I'm hoping something will have changed by then.

Partner angry

Apr 7, 2008, 7:17 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I needed to add more.

This owner has had his property vandalized, his home broken into, and all manner of trash strewn amongst the area. Nearly all of this can be attributed to high-school kids who've found themselves a great place to drink, build campfires, and get high.

While climbers can be notified of the closure (you were likely one of the only climbers to cross the river in the last couple years), the high school kids and townie drunks don't know and don't care.

So while we are different than those who are causing the problem, how is he to know the difference? Also even though he's kept this place closed since May of 2006, the volume of people abusing the area has likely not decreased. He's not seeing it as climbers and non-climbers, he's seeing it as people vs no-people.

You have to admire the guys diligence though. It has become his life work to keep YOU off his land. He sits at home all day, broomstick ready, watching the river and watching the road for unfamiliar cars. He is a man on a mission.

fairayhd333

Apr 7, 2008, 8:15 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Crazed Mountain Man-AVOID THIS AREA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've just got to say I've only been living in CO for a year so I was not aware. It would be nice to write about the closure in the description of this area so that people don't get whacked by this guy....I can understand his POV to an extent. Bottom line for me, he's still an ASSHOLE!
In reply to:

petsfed

Apr 7, 2008, 8:23 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most people get their info from Mountain Project.

Sphinx Rock

Its just a better route database, with more up to date information and a better user interface.

Too late for you, but now you know the better resource.

fairayhd333

Apr 7, 2008, 8:32 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Crazed Mountain Man-AVOID THIS AREA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks a lot petsfed! Will use that database to avoid any beatings!

Partner angry

Apr 8, 2008, 9:30 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your post got me motivated.

I spent several hours at the County Assesors today.

From what I saw, Keith Allen Rye owns the entire rock that Sphinx is located on. Now it is classified as "Vacant" and there is a pathway a "vacant" areas to walk through so as not to ever walk through a residential area or backyard.

Unquestionably though, Keith Allen Rye is listed as the owner for Sphinx, the "So Honed yet So Stoned" area as well as the slabs.

So where does this put us? Exactly where we were yesterday when I was doing nothing about it.

Shit!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook