RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

old_school

Oct 16, 2001, 9:59 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1399 views)
Shortcut

trad skills?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

whats the best way to learn how to trad climb? Any ideas would be great.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 16, 2001, 10:23 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1399 views)
Shortcut

trad skills? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

2nd an experienced trad leader, removing pro will allow you to see lots of properly place gear.

When you think you've got it, do some mock leads on TR, and allow your mentor to evaluate your pro. That's what I do with friends who want to lead trad.

rrrADAM

munckee

Oct 17, 2001, 6:58 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another option, albeit a more costly one, would be to take a course through a company. I did a 13 day comprehensive course with Alpine Ascents International in Washington state. We covered everything from mountaineering and cravasse rescue to basic aid placements and some fantastic alpine instruction. It is a bit costly, but it will get your feet wet faster than anything else. They also make sure you know your stuff. I felt plenty comfy leading on my own after taking that course.

krillen

Oct 17, 2001, 8:14 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you see guys Trad climbing, ask questions. Don't be too pressing to you will come off as annoying. but dont' be afraid to to ask if you are confused.

Most guys I've climbed with or talked to (even if they were jerks) would at least answer one or two questions. Then who knows, maybe they'll let you clean some gear like Adam and B&B said.

paulc

Oct 17, 2001, 10:17 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course, one of the best ways to hook up with climbers is to get a gym membership and you will meet people there. Most of the people I climb with I know from the gym, there is so much to climb here that you stand a better chance of meeting the same people to develop a climbing partnership at a gym where people go to more than once a month. If you just stuck around crags here the only people that you would find consistantly in the same places are the BCMC (mountaineers). Which isn't a bad thing either, if you can find a climbing club thing then they usually offer courses at a discount, taught by experienced, but usually not certified people. Plus there are usually lots of new climbers so once you have gotten the basic skills so you don't get yourself killed then you can go find a 5.x or 12 and practice, or practice on TR like someone else suggested.

Sorry for the ramble.

Paul

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook