RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

moabbeth

Oct 30, 2002, 2:10 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1937 views)
Shortcut

December AZ climbing advice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi there. I might have to head out to Phoenix to see my folks prior to the Xmas holidays and was wondering if anyone knows of some decent climbing routes up near Sedona/Oak Creek. Cause I know I'll be going up there for a couple of days and haven't climbed up there. Are there any sport routes or is it all trad up there? And what grades?

Also, for those of you in the Phoenix area, if you had only one or two days to climb anywhere within an hour or two of Phoenix, what would you recommend? Thanks for any advice.

crackaddict

Oct 30, 2002, 2:46 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1937 views)
Shortcut

December AZ climbing advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Head up to the Oak Creek Overlook. A great place to climb trad and an easy approach. The only problem is that it can be cold and windy that time of year. Sedona has some awesome sandstone but you have to be solid at 5.10 cracks.

PM me if you more info.

Later.

climbsomething

Oct 30, 2002, 2:55 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crackaddict is right, Sedona etc. can be cold in December. A safer bet would be Queen Creek climbing. Or if you really want to max out the 2 hours you said you'd be willing to drive, why not try Tucson?

jbone

Oct 30, 2002, 2:59 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Homestead for some Authentic Desert Limestone Sport Routes..

JBone

moabbeth

Oct 30, 2002, 4:55 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I realized Tucson is a good idea... my folks live in Chandler so it's a lot closer a drive than I thought. Reason I wanted to stay w/in a few hours drive is I'm likely flying in and would be borrowing either Mom or Dad's car for the day. Would love to go further but can't stray too far with the folks' wheels.

varstar10

Oct 30, 2002, 5:06 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Queen creek man...i love that place...and its only like 1.5 hours from where you are going to be...

Jon

epic_ed

Oct 30, 2002, 5:18 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on what type of climbing interests you. Some excellent sport climbing at Queen Creek less than an hour from Phoenix. The McDowell Mountains and Pinnacle Peak are less than 1/2 hour from Chandler (well, if I'm driving) and have some of the best granite trad climbs in the state.

If you're into aid, then you can definitely find some interesting stuff in Sedona (long hike in to Shargi-La, but well worth the effort), but as the others have stated it will very likely be COLD up there in December; but you might get lucky.

Mt. Lemmon in Tucson is definitely worth the drive if you are solid with your face climbing skills or have a really long cheat stick. Most routes are incredible, but the easy/moderate stuff is usually run out (especially to the first bolt).

I live in Chandler and climb every weekend. I'm sure we could work you into the mix while you are here if you are looking for someone to hook up with. Send me a PM for more info if you'd like. You will certainly be here at one of the best times of year to climb in the greater Phoenix area, so I hope you have a blast!

Ed

[ This Message was edited by: up2top on 2002-10-29 21:31 ]

rock_diva

Oct 30, 2002, 2:43 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Queen Creek is about an hour from Chandler, has lots of good sport routes and is fairly warm in winter. I've been out there more times than I can count, so if you need any advice or someone to take you, send me a message.

~Shelley

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook