Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
McAfee's after rain
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

the1esteban

Apr 10, 2008, 7:56 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1139 views)
Shortcut

McAfee's after rain  (North_America: United_States: Virginia: South_Western: McAfee)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm trying to head down to McAfee's this weekend but it's supposed to rain friday and maybe saturday morning. For those who know the area a little better: is there an area that dries faster/gets more sun around there? If not McAfee's, maybe another place nearby?
Thanks

justroberto

Apr 11, 2008, 6:51 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the1esteban] McAfee's after rain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Roadside and Mickey Mouse Boulders are overhanging and stay dry, but your topouts will be kind of crappy in some places if it rains Sat morning.

The eastside (Devil's Kitchen/Leap of Faith/FEA Boulder areas) is a little less wooded and seems to get the most sun, if I recall correctly. There are also some good roofs and overhangs to play on in the Belly Boulder Area (Warm-Up Boulder).

The good news is there's only a 40% chance of rain this weekend, and light to medium precip on Friday will be dry by Saturday. If it rains Sat morning, you might want to bring a blowtorch.

Someone will inevitably tell you to go to Bozoo, but that's another hour and a half SW of Roanoke. Otherwise, I don't know of any other worthwhile open areas around town.

boulderfanatic

Oct 24, 2012, 9:12 AM
Post #3 of 3 (412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] McAfee's after rain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Please DO NOT climb at McAfee's during or after rain, especially after prolonged rain. The rock absorbs tons of water and makes the holds break easily. Turns good sandstone into mud! Try Harkening Hill (granite), Bozoo (bullet sandstone, dries fast), other areas or the Gym.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook