Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

granite_grrl

Apr 11, 2008, 7:14 AM
Post #1 of 30 (9756 views)
Shortcut

Yoga style pants
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So last night I was at a hot yoga class, my cotton Prana climbing pants sticking to my legs, bunching at all the wrong times/places. I then thought about getting a pair of yoga pants that they sell in the studio, but its very very hard to laydown $90 for a pair of pants that aren't goretex of softshell.

I think I could get a pair of these on sale for $40-50 though....which still seems like a lot. But I might be able to justify it if I could wear them out climbing too. So first question: would these pants actually last if I wore them outside on the rock at all? I'm talking the better brands here.

Second question, more curiosity. These pants make most girl's buts look good...but no panty lines! Are all these girls going comando or wearing thongs? Comando doesn't seem practical, I only do laundry once ever two weeks! And I can't say I enjoy thongs....am I the only girl still wearing full back panties to yoga?!

Partner macherry

Apr 11, 2008, 7:30 AM
Post #2 of 30 (9755 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Yoga style pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you could probably get a pair even cheaper. i did at winners for about 20 bucks.

as for the panty line............i dunno, they probably go commando

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 11, 2008, 9:18 AM
Post #3 of 30 (9730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Yoga style pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear thongs most of the time. Can't speak for anyone else. Commando....is fine for some occasions but I can't say I would be comfortable with it in general. It's different for guys.

As for the wearability of the yoga pants, I think it probably depends on your style and the type of rock.

I am a butt-slider on descents at times and I shredded the ass of a medium weight pair of cotton pants in two days at Jtree. They probably had some wear beforehand, but the acceleration was definitely noticeable after my first day at the Tree. Even just sitting down is like using a scouring pad there.

But if you are pretty graceful on the rock when climbing, and not taking care on approaches(more apt to snag on thorns and sticky-outie stuff, I'd think) they'll fare better.

You can get yoga pants cheaper at outlet stores and cheap department stores, if it's not against your ethic to patronize Big Box stores. Most of them carry activewear.

caliclimbergrl

Apr 11, 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #4 of 30 (9689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First, I used to teach yoga and I found yoga pants that prana makes work just fine so I'm not sure why the ones you were wearing were uncomfortable. I also have a pair of yoga pants from Victoria Secret that I really like and several pair of yoga pants from Target that cost about $20 that I love!

As for whether these pants will last if you wear them climbing outdoors, I agree with the others that it depends on your style of climbing, but I want to add that I think climbing would be pretty easy on pants, it's the approaches and descents that usually end up shredding my pants. I only wear my yoga pants when climbing indoors. However, I have a friend that pretty much only climbs in cotton yoga pants and she's had the same ones for years, so maybe they'd be fine.

Last, I only wear thongs mostly because I think they're a million times more comfortable than full-butt underwear. I'm sure the other women in your class with no panty-lines were mostly wearing thongs. However, I do have a couple pairs of yoga pants that have a crotch similar to some nylons and are designed to wear with no panties. Look around at your studio, I'd be willing to bet they have some like that. I'd recommend those if you're not comfortable in a thong, but don't want panty lines.

lvpyne

Apr 11, 2008, 2:27 PM
Post #5 of 30 (9680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
So first question: would these pants actually last if I wore them outside on the rock at all? I'm talking the better brands here.

My personal record for trashing a brand-new pair of yoga pants while climbing outside is two, short, limestone routes. Smile They're incredibly comfortable to climb in (both inside and outside) but I don't pay a whole lot for them or expect them to last.

(This post was edited by lvpyne on Apr 11, 2008, 2:28 PM)

acacongua

Apr 11, 2008, 2:58 PM
Post #6 of 30 (9674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like Nike stuff because they're stylish and wick moisture. You can also get great deals on Ebay or a Nike Outlet.

Thongs or seamless (no stitching at all) for me.

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 11, 2008, 5:27 PM
Post #7 of 30 (9660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] Yoga style pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The thing I forgot to mention about things is, as any thing-wearing woman knows - all thongs are NOT created equal!

Some are just cut too...short?... and for me those can be almost painful to wear. Especially when you're climbing, since there is a lot of flexibility in your body that affects their movement in that area. Youch! As a kid I never understood why boys dreaded the dreaded wedgie since they didn't seem all that painful from a girl's standpoint. A thong wedgie's GOT to be as bad as what they guy's always recounted.

For things, I usually will buy only one in a new style/maker, to see how it actually fits. The ones I have found that are comfortable, then I go buy more.

Another thing about thongs is that sometimes the thinner elastic bands at the hips are very uncomfortable. I think it is also brand/style dependant, but feel the cheaper elastics are mostly to blame. Unfortunately, just paying more doesn't insure the material is better quality.

Those "sorta" thong panties, with the very wide, usually lace, band that is sort of like the inverse of a bustier(it goes down to just where the derrierre starts to have a little cushioning) I have always found to be very comfortable. Plus hella sexy in comparison to thongs. The drawback is that the lace may not hold up as well to the active wear(again, it depends on material/quality used).

lhwang

Apr 12, 2008, 9:22 AM
Post #8 of 30 (9615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really like Lululemon. The quality of cheaper knock-offs is really not comparable, in my opinion. I don't wear my lululemon pants/capris for hot yoga though because I end up with the same problem... bunching/sticking. It doesn't seem to matter that the fabric is different.

I usually wear short shorts or else my big baggy fisherman's pants that I got from Thailand. Those are cotton but I don't seem to have the same problem with sweating and bunching.

I've never worn my yoga pants climbing outside. I think they would start to pill from contact with the rock pretty quickly.

granite_grrl

Apr 12, 2008, 1:09 PM
Post #9 of 30 (9609 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Yoga style pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
I really like Lululemon. The quality of cheaper knock-offs is really not comparable, in my opinion. I don't wear my lululemon pants/capris for hot yoga though because I end up with the same problem... bunching/sticking. It doesn't seem to matter that the fabric is different.

I usually wear short shorts or else my big baggy fisherman's pants that I got from Thailand. Those are cotton but I don't seem to have the same problem with sweating and bunching.

I've never worn my yoga pants climbing outside. I think they would start to pill from contact with the rock pretty quickly.

This is a really good answer. I think some people are confused, the Prana pants I was wearing the other night weren't work 'cause it was a hot yoga class. I would be looking at the yoga pants that are a synthetic blend, probobly not cotton-lycra. Though from above even these pants might not be great for hot yoga.

A girl at the gym thought her yoga pants worked great outside...but she's mostly a boulder, and at best goes sport climbing periodically. But even when I'm sport climbing I'm not the kindest on my clothes Blush, yet I might just bight the bullet and try to find a pair and still test them out.

lena_chita

Apr 12, 2008, 5:07 PM
Post #10 of 30 (9585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand completely. Cotton "stretchy" pants and hot yoga just don' mix. I have a pair of Nike pants, don't know what fabric it is-- it is very thin and wicking, synthetic. I have been wearing them to yoga fr about 5 years now. Thry still look lie new. And I have climbed in them, too, though not outside, only in the gym. I do not like them for climbing b/c they feel too thin, I want a bit more sbstance for climbing pants.

acacongua

Apr 13, 2008, 8:25 AM
Post #11 of 30 (9541 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Yoga style pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Happiegrrrrl - thongs with the string on the side are very annoying.

You can also get seamless tangas

Partner macherry

Apr 13, 2008, 2:17 PM
Post #12 of 30 (9520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] Yoga style pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what is a tangas?

i've never seen the point of a thong.....just go commando

livvy

Apr 14, 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #13 of 30 (9441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the Lululemon recommendation - I don't honestly know if they last longer than other high quality brands but the fabric is super comfortable and...they somehow manage to be like little hands giving your arse a cosmetic lift. Great fit.

For climbing, I love the capris but I don't tend to find myself with scrapes in the knees when I sport climb in any of my pants. If you do, I think the yoga pants wouldn't hold up as well as climbing pants. My capris get snags and don't look "yoga studio quality" anymore but they are holding up without holes or ripped seams.

Finally, to be crass, I would vote thongs over commando because if you want to wear your pants multiple times in a row on a climbing trip you want to be able to change out the fabric that your crotch is pressed against when you are only getting wet-wipe showers at best ;)

maww

Apr 14, 2008, 3:29 PM
Post #14 of 30 (9382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
what is a tangas?

i've never seen the point of a thong.....just go commando

Agreed..it's what I do.

As far as yoga pants, I don't own any and because of that, I haven't climbed in any. But based on my experience with sweatpants and fleece pants - I've ripped those pants on climbs before so I would say go with cheaper brands.

Just my 2 cents based on similar type cloth.

obsessed

Apr 17, 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #15 of 30 (9276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
So last night I was at a hot yoga class, my cotton Prana climbing pants sticking to my legs, bunching at all the wrong times/places. I then thought about getting a pair of yoga pants that they sell in the studio, but its very very hard to laydown $90 for a pair of pants that aren't goretex of softshell.

I think I could get a pair of these on sale for $40-50 though....which still seems like a lot. But I might be able to justify it if I could wear them out climbing too. So first question: would these pants actually last if I wore them outside on the rock at all? I'm talking the better brands here.

Second question, more curiosity. These pants make most girl's buts look good...but no panty lines! Are all these girls going comando or wearing thongs? Comando doesn't seem practical, I only do laundry once ever two weeks! And I can't say I enjoy thongs....am I the only girl still wearing full back panties to yoga?!

Problem solved. I just picked you up a pair of $20 capri yoga pants at Costco. Not as nice a fabric as lululemon but for $20 who cares.
You also need to get a sports thong. Cotton and comfortable. I don't mind how they feel and in my opinion there is nothing worse than pantie lines under those kinds of pants.

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 17, 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #16 of 30 (9265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [obsessed] Yoga style pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

obsessed wrote:
...there is nothing worse than pantie lines under those kinds of pants.

Oh yes, there is....When a guy is wearing tight on the tush pants and has VPL. If you know not of that I speak, consider yourself fortunate. It's quite traumatic.

Rocknovice

Apr 17, 2008, 2:42 PM
Post #17 of 30 (9250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend just stopped wearing full back panties because of the VPLs so I think that leaves only you. Wink I wear any comfortable yoga pants I find at a discount store to yoga. I admit I mostly go commando because the thong inevitably ends up hanging out.

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 17, 2008, 6:01 PM
Post #18 of 30 (9228 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rocknovice] Yoga style pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't wore granny pants in...ever! Why would you suggest such a thing. And, not stopping at that, then add an emoticon smirk????

Rocknovice

Apr 18, 2008, 6:36 AM
Post #19 of 30 (9212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

Sorry, That was actually for granite_grrl and her original post. I should have quoted her so as not have confused you, Happie.

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 18, 2008, 6:51 AM
Post #20 of 30 (9207 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, that makes sense...the quirky rc.com reply system is to blame. Sorry for the blow up, but I thought my ass was on the line. Or had been accused of having lines. Or something!

Rocknovice

Apr 18, 2008, 6:56 AM
Post #21 of 30 (9205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No worries. We've all gotten our panties in a bunch over misunderstandings. Hence the need to go commando.

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 18, 2008, 8:06 AM
Post #22 of 30 (9194 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well done!

maww

Apr 18, 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #23 of 30 (9179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent puns ladies, excellent puns. Cool

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 18, 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #24 of 30 (9174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maww] Yoga style pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why, thank you, Maww.

...oops, I thought she wrote "excellent buns."

Rocknovice

Apr 18, 2008, 6:39 PM
Post #25 of 30 (9145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You crack me up.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$14.36 (10% off)
$24.26 (10% off)
$32.36 (10% off)