RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

acacongua

Apr 15, 2008, 2:34 AM
Post #1 of 11 (4028 views)
Shortcut

Save the Heart, Lose the Breast? WTF?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So studies show that the reserveratrol I take in liquid form (Shiraz or Merlot or Red Bourdeaux or ... )to help my heart could increase my chances of breast cancer by 32%. Could one of you researchers please prove this wrong so I could go back to my glorious libations? Thanks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080413/hl_nm/breastcancer_alcohol_dc

kostik

Apr 15, 2008, 5:08 PM
Post #2 of 11 (3956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] Save the Heart, Lose the Breast? WTF? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I could not find the original data. Apparently, it was an abstract on the ongoing AACR meeting in San Diego. My wife lena_chita is presenting there at this moment. I'm sure she'll clarify it when she comes back online.

It sounds convincing, and the correlation is amazing. I'm not surprised that alcohol is linked to cancer. It solubilizes
some hydrophobic carcinogenic compounds, making easier for them to enter the cells.

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Apr 15, 2008, 6:56 PM
Post #3 of 11 (3925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WTF?!?! This has to be a very delinquent April Fool's joke...

gblauer

Apr 15, 2008, 8:14 PM
Post #4 of 11 (3913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you google the subject, there are many articles on the link between breast cancer and alcohol. Many of the articles are scholarly and the link appears to be real.

Ok, another reason why growing old sucks

acacongua

Apr 16, 2008, 2:02 AM
Post #5 of 11 (3861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kostik] Save the Heart, Lose the Breast? WTF? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kostik wrote:
It sounds convincing, and the correlation is amazing. I'm not surprised that alcohol is linked to cancer. It solubilizes
some hydrophobic carcinogenic compounds, making easier for them to enter the cells.

Wow, I didn't study Bio, but for some reason I understood everything you said. The wine is bringing such clarity in thought. Cool

An article in National Geographic presented information about long-living (100+) populations and their habits. Wine was one of those habits ...

P.S. I met your wife recently - really cool.

kostik

Apr 16, 2008, 3:39 AM
Post #6 of 11 (3849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acacongua wrote:
An article in National Geographic presented information about long-living (100+) populations and their habits. Wine was one of those habits ...

P.S. I met your wife recently - really cool.

Yes, she told me about you. Awesome.Wink

I remember that article in NG. Some of those people don't consume alcohol, like the Adventists. We have an Adventist babysitter, and she says they don't drink. In other populations the effect of alcohol may be masked by the fact that long-living males drink wine and don't get breast cancer.

Also, we don't know if the number of long living people would have been higher in the same populations if they had abandoned alcohol.

I also recall an old study that correlated beer consumption and risk of stomach cancer in Scotland.

stymingersfink

Apr 17, 2008, 9:07 PM
Post #7 of 11 (3699 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe so, but with all the evidence I've seen, breathing air leads eventually to death, and in between we've all gotta live, don't we?

figure out which risks you're willing to expose yourself to, then get busy livin or get busy dyin.

FWIW, I've dated women who've undergone radical mastectomy, and I've dated women without a heart. Of the two, the heartless one's are the only ones on the list of those I'd never consider dating again.

clausti

Apr 18, 2008, 2:20 AM
Post #8 of 11 (3686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Save the Heart, Lose the Breast? WTF? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my two cents on this subject-

.01, alcohol is, you know.. poison.

.02, you can get the antioxidant benefits of wine by eating blueberries. or drinking pomegranate juice.

.03, everything gives you cancer.

iamthewallress

Apr 18, 2008, 4:02 AM
Post #9 of 11 (3679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Save the Heart, Lose the Breast? WTF? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing increases my risk of dying young.

I manage that risk by not getting too crazy, but it could still happen.

The glass of cab I just drank was lovely.

What was the question?

mindaa

Apr 18, 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #10 of 11 (3610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] Save the Heart, Lose the Breast? WTF? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This reminds me of an internet forward I recently received...

WINE VS WATER
In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli
(E. coli) - a bacteria found in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.

However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or any other liquor) because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

So Remember: Water = Poop, Wine = Health

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of shit.

surgicalfocus

Apr 27, 2008, 6:17 PM
Post #11 of 11 (3418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kostik] Save the Heart, Lose the Breast? WTF? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As someone who has had to deal with a BC diagnosis this year, (3 operations, chemo and rads and yes still climbing) I have heard and researched just about everything on this. I am in good shape and have NO family history so am in the environmental camp as far as what I think causes this. I am the least likely person that you would know to get this based on how I live my life... sadly there are so many things that might tip the scales depending on your genetics. The alcohol thing for estrogen positive women is most likely a factor, as may be plasticizers and phytotestrogens (yup, soy products are on the list of possible cause.) On the other hand studies show that the cause may very well be what you were exposed to in utero. I have read full manifestos on how the wine industry has duped women into thinking that this stuff is good for them all the while suppressing studies that show quite the opposite. I am also reading the Weinburg's Biology of Cancer Book (is is pretty much THE CANCER dude) that gives a laughable list of Carcinogens that include Coffee (see the study that was just put out this week on how it helps BC) Celery, Kale and tons of other foods that contain known carcinogens. The problem is that we still have no clue as to how these things can be either amplified or neutralized by organs like the liver.

In retrospect my advice is to go easy on the wine (I pretty much am working on staying away from it (alcohol period), and stay the hell away from plastic water bottles, cooking utensils best you can, eat organic and keep climbing.

BC rates will soon go from 1 in 8 to 1 in 7 women. so don't toss this off to it can't happen to you because you are in great shape and are a climbing maven. It surely can!

~surgical_F

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook