RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

xen_monkey

Oct 30, 2002, 4:43 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1519 views)
Shortcut

planning a trip looking for suggestions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I'm trying to get out of cold cold canada this winter for a warm climbing trip. I was wondewring if you guys have any suggestions of any AZ destinations. I'm looking for moderate sport routes, with some decent cheap acomidations near by.

cliffraven

Oct 30, 2002, 7:29 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1519 views)
Shortcut

planning a trip looking for suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jack's Canyon or Queen Creek, Jack's is probably an hour and half out and Queen's Creek is 45 mins. out of Tempe. I havn't climbed there yet but I spent a month in Tempe and I just LOVED it there...unfortunatly it wasn't a climbing trip but fun none the less! I want to go back. Don't know what the weather does durning this time of year but make sure to check it out cuz when it rains it RAINS!
For cheap accom. try checking out people on this website who are from there and they may be able to hook you up!
Have fun!

ebelay

Oct 31, 2002, 4:21 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey man,

if your base is phoenix you have a pretty large variety of climbing within a couple of hours:

QUEEN CREEK (1 HR) : enough good sport to keep you busy for a week or more and a lifetime of bouldering. camping is free.

SUPERSTITION MTNS (40 MIN) : some excellent, sometimes scary adventure routes. mostly trad/mixed. old school sport routes up in the hoodoos. sonso45 knows the area well. natl forest camping, fee and free.

SEDONA (1.5 HRS) : killer desert tower routes soft red rock sandstone but you better be solid at 5.10 crack. good bouldering at anvil boulders. private and natl forest camping. camping restrictions.

GLOBE AREA (http://www.arizonaclimbing.com

--eric

steelmonkey

Nov 1, 2002, 2:34 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ebelay...nice summary of lots of climbing, but you did see the part where he said he was looking for "moderate sport climbs", right?

Jacks: I'd guess it could be pretty cold there in the winter, but maybe ok if you follow the sun.

Flagstaff: Not good odds for winter destination, although some areas are doable if the winter is mild and the sun is out. Not much in the way of moderate sport routes (depending on what you mean by moderate). The Pit has a few routes in the 5.9/5.10 range.

Re: Tucson
If you do this in winter, you'll have to stay down low on Lemmon or go to one of the lower backcountry areas. High on Lemmon will be very cold and maybe snowy.

Isn't The Dry a limestone area? Seems like I saw pictures of tufas and the like.

[ This Message was edited by: steelmonkey on 2002-11-01 06:39 ]

seeking8a

Nov 1, 2002, 3:04 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arizona is great in the winter! The Dry is a fantastic low elevation south facing crag if you climb at least 5.11. I would suggest The Pond in Queen Creak (many 5.10 sport routes in the sun and a few cool 11s), Jacks Canyon (many moderates of all grades but its a little colder), and Miligrosa canyon (lots of 5.10s and 11s, its near the base of Mount Lemmon).

ebelay

Nov 1, 2002, 3:51 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i know i went off on the AZ beta but i figure it's best to know more than less. for instance, i don't think from my description that somebody would trek off to sedona if they just wanted easy bolted routes. in my opinion, a traveling climber is best served knowing what's out there so he doesn't waste his time, get in over his head, whatever. i wasn't making recommendations as much as i was outlining what's available.

have fun, xen and drop me a PM if you need specific beta or a belay.

--eric

and yes, "the dry" is a limestone crag.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook