Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Low Budget Arco Italy climbing trip:
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

1jolivet

Apr 27, 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #1 of 20 (24892 views)
Shortcut

Low Budget Arco Italy climbing trip:  (Europe: Italy: Arco_and_Lago_di_Garda_area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning a trip to Italy this summer and could use some travel help with Arco. What is the closest train station to this town? Is there public transportation to the craig and can I get by without a car? Is the local camp ground a good spot for climbers? Are there local grocery stores for food? I am looking at spending a month in Arco. Will there be enough routes to keep me interested (sport 5.11/12)? Thanks

mrbeelzy

Jun 24, 2008, 9:01 AM
Post #2 of 20 (24750 views)
Shortcut

Re: [1jolivet] Low Budget Arco Italy climbing trip: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,

I'm in arco. call me if you want to climb.

347 241 4659

rob

mcolombo

Jun 24, 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #3 of 20 (24725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where are you coming from?

There is a train station in Roverto and from there you can get a bus to Riva and Arco. Lots of climbers at the campground and lots of routes in Arco but you will want to get to the other areas as well, some are accessible by bus some not. You will not get bored.

You can get everything you need in Arco or Riva but will probably be expensive. you may want to find a larger supermarket somewhere else (I always try to find an IPER or for cheaper stuff a Lidl) if you want to stock up.

As a sailor, windsurfer, and climber I love lake Garda!

Save some mony to eat out once and awhile and drink lots of the local Wine.

Valpoliceli and Bardolino are towards the southern end of the lake.

(This post was edited by mcolombo on Jun 24, 2008, 12:21 PM)

blueshrimp

Jun 24, 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #4 of 20 (24718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, I would suggest you get a car. A lot of the places are up in the mountains and it doesn't look like any public transporation goes up there, though you might (if really lucky or maybe if you pay) be able to hitch a ride in the van that carries mountainbikers up and down the hills. You can get really cheap car rentals if you look for the small car companies in the internet, for instance www.italycar.net

You can get really good guidebooks to the crags in the Arco local shops, and climbing equipment is reasonably priced there especially given the shop competition (i.e. they are cheaper than what I have found in Switzerland, for instance, which is good if you need to buy equipment last minute), and they have really good variety and seasonal discounts. There are a lot of relatively cheap (less than 50 Eur/night) hotels nearby in Arco, Nago, etc.

Without a car you're up for some really long, tough walking though. So try to get one if you can.

rsmillbern

Jul 2, 2009, 3:22 PM
Post #5 of 20 (23690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would second getting a car, but if you don't there is enough climbing within walking distance from the two camping areas to keep you busy for some time. But, if it happens to rain a little you can drive to find a dry area pretty easy.

I just got back from 4 days there, and I can't wait to go back.

Camping Arco has a small store (expensive, but close) and there are markets in town (walking distance).

Check out to face that you can see from the camping area, some really nice mixed routes there, not sure about sport only.

Monte Colt has some steller routes (multi-pitch sport) and is not too far to walk.

Nago is awesome, but you'd need a car to get there.

alexoverhere

Aug 10, 2009, 2:05 AM
Post #6 of 20 (23515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I stayed there in May for a week. There are two campgrounds about 300m apart -- the cheaper one is called "the Zoo" or "the Camping Zoo" and was great, albeit pricey (unfortunately 12-14 euros a night, per person). They have cheap fresh bread daily, cheap coffee, basic groceries, clean bathrooms and showers, and a pool. It was difficult to find internet. The cafe in town charged 3 euros / 30 minutes of wireless access!!! The restaurant 100m left/south of the Zoo has delicious pasta for 6-8 euros (and has some spotty wireless).

If you speak Italian and/or German / Swiss German, you might be able to find partners & transportation, especially if you're just looking to climb single-pitch sport. If you only speak English, I would not recommend showing up there alone (although maybe people have different thoughts on this?).

Mount Colodori is literally across the street from the campsites and has a 5 minute approach. It was all multipitch trad, and amazing. To get to many of the sport routes (and there are plenty to last you at that grade, both single- and multipitch), you'll need partners with a car or patience/knowledge of the bus system.

I bought the Spring 2009 English guidebook called "Sarca Walls" by Diego Filippi -- it's for longer routes. There is a sport-only / single-pitch guidebook by the same company in English. You can find them at almost any store in Arco, or order online before your trip.

Arco is awesome and I can't wait to go back.. those big walls look amazing too.

alexoverhere

Aug 10, 2009, 2:10 AM
Post #7 of 20 (23514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexoverhere] Low Budget Arco Italy climbing trip: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And regarding gear prices, some Europeans have told me that Arco has the cheapest prices around... however, I found that they were comparable to U.S. retail prices (in general), and often more expensive than U.S. online prices. So don't expect to get any smoking gear deals. That being said, they have cool climbing clothes (Schoeller pants and such) that're harder to find in the U.S..

rsmillbern

Jun 21, 2010, 9:31 AM
Post #8 of 20 (22753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexoverhere] Low Budget Arco Italy climbing trip: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alexoverhere wrote:
And regarding gear prices, some Europeans have told me that Arco has the cheapest prices around... however, I found that they were comparable to U.S. retail prices (in general), and often more expensive than U.S. online prices. So don't expect to get any smoking gear deals. That being said, they have cool climbing clothes (Schoeller pants and such) that're harder to find in the U.S..

This is true, having moved to germany recently I can verify that Arco prices are in line with US full price, which is less than buying in Germany at least. Every once in a while you can get a deal, but not like in the US/online...

RasmusJes

Apr 4, 2011, 6:49 PM
Post #9 of 20 (21670 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rsmillbern] Low Budget Arco Italy climbing trip: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to Arco for the first time this summer. I'm planning on not bringing a rope and buy one there instead. Is it easy to find a shop there? And are there several shops?

rsmillbern

Apr 5, 2011, 5:20 PM
Post #10 of 20 (21607 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RasmusJes] Low Budget Arco Italy climbing trip: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are camping at one of the 2 campgrounds in Arco you will have 4 or 5 gear stores selling ropes within walking distance.

RasmusJes

Apr 5, 2011, 5:33 PM
Post #11 of 20 (21603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perfect, thank you. :-) We're going to stay at the Zoo Camping.

rsmillbern

Apr 5, 2011, 9:51 PM
Post #12 of 20 (21585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Should be good. I have stayed at both and they are pretty similar I think. The Zoo is a little less expensive (but not much). There is some great climbing within walking distance as well from the camp.

We are considering Arco or Croatia the week after Easter...

RasmusJes

Apr 5, 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #13 of 20 (21577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice. :-) We actually just booked an apartment in Arco instead as it turned out not to be much more expensive. Is there a specific shop I should go for for rope?
We're not going until August so I guess it will be quite hot for climbing by then. :-)
Where do you climb in Croatia?

rsmillbern

Apr 11, 2011, 7:33 AM
Post #14 of 20 (21503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For Arco, I would check all of them as they are all within walking distance.

I have not been to Croatia yet, right now we are thining about the areas along the cost as much as possible. Can't remeber the names and my notes are at home :-)

August will be hot, but you should still be able to find shaded areas, or head to higher elevation and climb. Also, you will have the lake to jump into after if it gets too hot :-)

68black

Jun 10, 2011, 8:13 PM
Post #15 of 20 (20977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We just got back from Arco about a week ago and it was amazing. Really beautiful area with great climbing that's easily accessible. The "town scene" is pretty interesting as well, with all of the cyclists, mountain bikers and climbers roaming around. And I've never climbed anywhere else that had a bar/pizza joint on the trail back to the car. :)

I second RasmusJes recommendation about looking at all of the shops. There are at least 2 of the RedPoint shops in Arco and they carry a good selection of ropes. I think I remember seeing at least 10-12 different choices there. There were a ton of other climbing shops that we didn't go into and I would be shocked if you couldn't find a rope that you like.

Climbing shoes would be something I would consider purchasing there because there's such a big selection between all of the shops. The La Sportiva shop alone had a dozen or more styles. I've resorted to buying my shoes online because I can't find many of the styles I want locally, but it's so hard to get the sizing right.

I would also recommend spending a few evenings in Riva del Garda. It has more restaurants and entertainment and is car-free like a typical Italian town center. It's only a 10 minute drive from Arco.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

elcapin3

Aug 25, 2011, 3:10 PM
Post #16 of 20 (20341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [68black] Low Budget Arco Italy climbing trip: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be in Arco Sep.1- Sep.6. Does anyone have any contacts there? I am looking for climbing partners. I just moved to Germany and will be driving down to Arco.

crimson

Aug 26, 2011, 1:26 AM
Post #17 of 20 (20294 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elcapin3] Low Budget Arco Italy climbing trip: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

elcapin3 wrote:
I will be in Arco Sep.1- Sep.6. Does anyone have any contacts there? I am looking for climbing partners. I just moved to Germany and will be driving down to Arco.

Sounds so beautiful. Wish I could join you.

theguy

Aug 26, 2011, 4:40 AM
Post #18 of 20 (20276 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elcapin3] Low Budget Arco Italy climbing trip: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try the Eurofreaks forum

jesseyarbro

Mar 6, 2013, 3:01 PM
Post #19 of 20 (16827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello RasmusJes - can you give me information about the apartment you stayed in during your trip to Arco? My gf and I are going in August to sport climb, and we are hoping to book an apartment for 1-2 weeks. Do you have any recommendations? Contact information? Thank you very much, and I hope you enjoyed your trip :)

RasmusJes

Mar 6, 2013, 4:17 PM
Post #20 of 20 (16778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jesseyarbro] Low Budget Arco Italy climbing trip: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Jesseyarbro

We had a WARM but great trip :) You'll be feeling the sun when you go in august too. :)
We stayed at http://www.arcovacanze.it/. It was very comfy and cosy, with it's own orchard where little chicken were running around. It is probably a bit expensive but very recommendable. Arco itself was a great little town with all you could wish for in gear shops and cafés.

-Rasmus

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook