Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bishop/Eastside Area Crag Conditions
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jedSMG

Apr 10, 2008, 5:41 PM
Post #1 of 3 (23044 views)
Shortcut

Bishop/Eastside Area Crag Conditions  (North_America: United_States: California)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey All,
The snow's melting and I figure folks might be jonesing for some Eastside cragging. Here's what I know:

The Gorge and Alabama hills have been snow-free for a couple of months, great climbing, play the sun/shade game to get your fix.

Clark Canyon is still way snowed in.

In Rock Creek- Patricia Bowl still looked way snowy, even on the routes, as of one week ago. The Gong Show crag is mostly dry. Patches of snow linger at the base of routes left of Main Attraction, otherwise even the base is dry. Iris Slab has a persistent drip on the right side and a little snow at the base.

In Pine Creek- the approach to Elderberry Buttress is dry, the PSOM pinnacle slab is dry with some major cones of snow at the base. Same in Scheelite Canyon- huge piles of snow at the base of Pratt's crack and most of the sport climbs. Up-canyon, the crags above the tailings piles (look at the new book, coming out in June?, for beta here) are dry at the base and excellent in the afternoon sun.

Folks have been climbing at Little Egypt, sounds good there.

Whitney Portal: Road's plowed to the end, seems to be marked "closed" sometimes, actually barricaded others, totally cruiser on some days. Probably fully open soon...
The crags there will be a little drippy, but not for long. Bony Fingers is probably totally dry.

Jed

bodyboarder

Apr 27, 2008, 2:19 AM
Post #2 of 3 (22965 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jedSMG] Bishop/Eastside Area Crag Conditions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How's pine creel look now, I might wanna go there next week, is there still too much snow? (also how is clark canyon?)

jedSMG

Apr 28, 2008, 5:19 PM
Post #3 of 3 (22942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jedSMG] Bishop/Eastside Area Crag Conditions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

More updates and answers:
With Fishing season open, most of the roads are now open. Specifically: Whitney Portal, Onion Valley, South Lake road (at least partially...), the road to Sabrina (and by Cardinal Pinnacle) and the Rock Creek Road to the Pack Station.

Cardinal Pinnacle is dry and one can completely avoid snow on the approach.

I checked out the Pine Creek crags one week ago and there were still piles of snow at the base of Pratt's Crack and just to the left of the start of Rites of Spring, otherwise everything is dry.

Rock creek, all the cragging is good to go. Maybe even able to get up to Patricia bowl with a little snow travel. Those crags get sun til early afternoon this time of year.

Nothing has suggested that the Mammoth Lakes Basin roads are being plowed yet.

I haven't personally been to Clark Canyon or even tried. I suspect it's still snowed in, though I'm not entirely sure.

We climbed yesterday at Granite Basin and the temperatures were perfect! Warm and breezy in the sun, still t-shirt weather in the shade. The drive there is totally dry and smooth, all in all it's excellent right now.

I've gotten similar reports from the Benton crags too.

The Owen's River Gorge has been nice temperature wise, but crowded on weekends, now's the time when we disperse so it might get less busy.

Enjoy,
Jed

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook