RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

SharpEndFemme

May 8, 2008, 3:40 AM
Post #1 of 25 (7305 views)
Shortcut

All-girl climbing weekend?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As we all know, boys are smelly and often go into alphamale mode when you hit the rock...so...
I was thinking it would be really sweet to do a climbing trip with some other girls for a change, especially to practice trad leading skills in a supportive enviro. I'm thinking of 5.5 to 5.7 leads, but have no qualms following on harder (or easier) anything.

JTRee is where I normally go, but Tahquitz would be sweet too...or even a trek all the way up to Yosemite could be cool??

If anybody is interested, let me know! I have gear but sadly no girls to share with :(

caliclimbergrl

May 8, 2008, 6:02 AM
Post #2 of 25 (7291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SharpEndFemme] All-girl climbing weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi! I totally agree with what you're saying. I've had several all girls climbing trips and they rock!! I live all the way up in Seattle though. But my family is in San Diego so I do head down there from time to time. I've been meaning to check out Tahquitz, but I usually visit my parents in the winter when it's crappy weather up here so I usually end up in J-Tree for a few days. I have a lot of time off this summer so if you want to plan a trip to Yosemite, I could probably make a trek down there. And if you're ever up in the Seattle area, I'd love to rope up with you!

bizarrodrinker

May 8, 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #3 of 25 (7282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

K so I am just lurking in the corner, but maybe you should find some guys that climb at your level or below. Alpha male syndrome out the window cause you are stronger...

Or at least find some more self-secure males to climb with...cause really the alpha male sydrome is more a product of insecurity than anything else (from my experience anyway).

Personally i love climbing with women stronger than I...which isn't that hard for routes or bouldering for that matter.

Partner happiegrrrl

May 8, 2008, 2:33 PM
Post #4 of 25 (7264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mmmm....eau de dirtbaggerie.....mmmmmm

You might want to check out Sterling Ropes Goddesses on the Rocks events, SEF. They just had one in JTree last month. Next one is in fall, unfortunately. Up in North Conway,NH. It would make a great road trip for you!

I take 2 trips to Jtree each year, one in late Nov/early Dec and another in spring. If you want to send me a PM with a bit about your climbing experience, maybe we can keep in touch and climb together next time I am out there. Maybe even try for one of those girls-only things.

wonderwoman

May 8, 2008, 3:13 PM
Post #5 of 25 (7259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] All-girl climbing weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker wrote:
Personally i love climbing with women stronger than I...which isn't that hard for routes or bouldering for that matter.

You're just hoping to get on the invitation list!

bizarrodrinker

May 8, 2008, 3:30 PM
Post #6 of 25 (7253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] All-girl climbing weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

muah!

always looking for more people to climb with.

My partners are always moving to and fro so...well ya know how it is. I will usually climb with whoever is psyched to climb regardless of grade or gender (so long as they give a solid belay).

Tho there is something to be said for climbing with people who climb at the same level.

Partner camhead

May 8, 2008, 3:52 PM
Post #7 of 25 (7249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

but, women just climb to find husbands; so, what would be the point of an all-fem climbing trip?

I'z confused.

Partner happiegrrrl

May 8, 2008, 4:23 PM
Post #8 of 25 (7241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] All-girl climbing weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...duh.... She has ANNOUNCED the intent to have a bivy of broads, right here in the ladies room for all to see..... I mean, why do you THINK that Stirling Ropes makes such an effort to promote their women's workshops!!!??? ....

Sow a little seed and the chickens come to roost, and soon enough a few roosters come a struttin'

Guys say they don't understand women. No shit. Sometimes it's like taking candy from babies.....

Crazy <--- Some sort of emoticon to indicate the post was in jest

caliclimbergrl

May 8, 2008, 7:35 PM
Post #9 of 25 (7200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] All-girl climbing weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ROTFL!!

Yeah ... I would have *much* easier time finding a husband if I wasn't a climber!! Alas, climbing is too important to me to give up. Oh well, a wedding ring would hinder my crack climbing anyway.

Partner camhead

May 8, 2008, 7:47 PM
Post #10 of 25 (7191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caliclimbergrl] All-girl climbing weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caliclimbergrl wrote:
ROTFL!!

Yeah ... I would have *much* easier time finding a husband if I wasn't a climber!! Alas, climbing is too important to me to give up. Oh well, a wedding ring would hinder my crack climbing anyway.

these stay out of the way of fingercracks pretty well:

I'm not sure about how durable they will be on too much sharp granite, though.

caliclimbergrl

May 8, 2008, 7:55 PM
Post #11 of 25 (7187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've actually thought about that! Not too much since I've never been engaged, but I did talk about it with a boyfriend once.

I love the picture!! I especially love how her hand has some scraps and scratches -- looks like it's been doing some recent hand jamming! :) Now all I have to do is find a guy who doesn't think it's a totally crazy idea! LOL

SharpEndFemme

May 8, 2008, 8:09 PM
Post #12 of 25 (7182 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caliclimbergrl] All-girl climbing weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caliclimbergrl wrote:
ROTFL!!

Oh well, a wedding ring would hinder my crack climbing anyway.

That's just hilarious, hell ya if I can find an excuse to hit up Seattle that would be sweet...Keep me filled in on if you come to CA! (and bagging husbands on rock out here is easier than shooting Buffalo on the Oregon Trail...)

Anyways thanks for the posts you all!
I guess maybe its unfair for me to attribute alpha male syndrome to all the dudes I climb with...in fact, they are really supportive and great partners.
But the thing is, they are SO supportive...like always doing the route finding and descent dirty work, that I feel like I need to break out of that if I am ever going to advance on my own. you know?

Plus, I find it very sad that I have NO girl climbing friends. I miss the good vibes of an all girl enviro. Although Bizarro, you're right, I could also try climbing with...you. heehee.

And man, Happie - I was so at Jtree that weekend (and with a group of boys) and had no idea (somehow) about the Sterling thing till I was there. In fact, I believe I was climbing next to you guys, and peeled off a 5.9 face climb that Arno was directly under, waiting to get on!

(This post was edited by SharpEndFemme on May 8, 2008, 9:48 PM)

granite_grrl

May 9, 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #13 of 25 (7141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
but, women just climb to find husbands; so, what would be the point of an all-fem climbing trip?

I'z confused.

Shit! You figured us out!

Oh well, I've already picked up my hubby....there's no escaping for him now!!!

gblauer

May 9, 2008, 2:09 AM
Post #14 of 25 (7129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] All-girl climbing weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, we aren't going for the weekend, but, a few of us are hosting a group of women (mostly Moms) on Mother's Day at our local crag. Most of these women have never climbed outdoors so it's going to be a lot of fun introducing them to real rock. We are meeting really early in the AM so that can slip out of the house, climb and be back before any knows they are missing.

uhoh

May 9, 2008, 2:11 AM
Post #15 of 25 (7127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] All-girl climbing weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
camhead wrote:

I'z confused.

Shit! You figured us out!

Oh well, I've already picked up my hubby....there's no escaping from him now!!!

Doesn't that work two ways?

wonderwoman

May 9, 2008, 2:43 AM
Post #16 of 25 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SharpEndFemme wrote:
And man, Happie - I was so at Jtree that weekend (and with a group of boys) and had no idea (somehow) about the Sterling thing till I was there. In fact, I believe I was climbing next to you guys, and peeled off a 5.9 face climb that Arno was directly under, waiting to get on!

Happie wasn't there this time, but I was helping Arno that weekend. You must have been in the Lost Horse Rock Garden Valley area? (Double Dogleg, etc.) That's where his clinic was on Sat and Sun.

I also get a lot out of an all women climbing environment. It's really cool to meet other women who enjoy climbing as much as I do and to meet new partners and friends.

Unfortunately I only make it out of New England for climbing a few times per year so I wouldn't be able to go to a J-Tree / Yosemite thing anytime soon. However, as Happie mentioned, there is the North Conway Sterling Rope Women's Climbing Weekend in Sept!

(But now that I think about it - I'm a married woman. What's the point in climbing anymore? And where did I put that apron?!) Wink

Partner happiegrrrl

May 9, 2008, 3:34 AM
Post #17 of 25 (7114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I must be doing something wrong.... I been out there almost every weekend in season for the last 4 years and I ain't married yet.... I must need work in my rope management skills.

SEF - As WW said, I didn't get to the Jtree one this time(though on Wednesday night before it, I actually found myself on Orbitz.com checking flight ticket prices!) I wish I had been there. definitely am planning to do the N Conway event.

lhwang

May 9, 2008, 2:47 PM
Post #18 of 25 (7074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear you. Most of my climbing partners are more experienced than me, so it would be easy to just let them lead me up everything. In my case, all I had to do was tell my partners that I was interested in learning more about blah and they would teach me and give me plenty of safe opportunities to practice.

I have to say that as someone who's still consolidating certain skills (especially in the alpine), it's helpful for me and I think often times it's safer being with people who are more experienced than me. I don't know that I would do myself any good by running around on a glacier with someone equally inexperienced.

Since you say your partners are supportive, you probably just need to be up front about wanting to be more involved with the route-finding/descent stuff.

If they're not cool with that, they're being patronizing, not supportive.

amstone

May 12, 2008, 6:00 AM
Post #19 of 25 (6897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

(But now that I think about it - I'm a married woman. What's the point in climbing anymore? And where did I put that apron?!) Wink

LOL!!!!

Women rock! I will climb with a man if I have to but prefer to hang with the local ladies here at the New or J Tree, or N Conway...or where ever. Sterling puts on a great event and I encourage anyone who can to try it at least once.

wjca

May 12, 2008, 2:09 PM
Post #20 of 25 (6883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amstone] All-girl climbing weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

amstone wrote:

LOL!!!!

Women rock! I will climb with a man if I have to but prefer to hang with the local ladies here at the New or J Tree, or N Conway...or where ever. Sterling puts on a great event and I encourage anyone who can to try it at least once.

What!! I thought I was your favorite climbing partner. You know, if I still climbed and all.

cyberdee

May 12, 2008, 5:31 PM
Post #21 of 25 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did the Sterling Rope weekend in April. It was my first time rock climbing and I am hooked. The tough thing is finding people to climb with. So anything you plan I would be interested in. I have purchased a ton of equipment, gone to some clinics, and had a one day private at Mission Gorge. The skills are building slowly and surely.

Let me know!

SharpEndFemme

May 14, 2008, 5:50 AM
Post #22 of 25 (6744 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cyberdee] All-girl climbing weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WW - That was actually Friday afternoon, so I guess it was before the clinics started, but I got the feeling that, since it was Arno and a bunch of dudettes it was the posse for the event (that I was soon to miss out on...) I'm blanking on where that was, but I got some pics of the spot I could post. Anyways, never say never maybe I can find some reason to end up in NConway!

And lhwang, I'm stoked you know what I mean, and it's def cool to hear that you solved that by just being upfront. I guess I could try that in lieu of ditching all dudes (or running around a glacier with noob haha).

Still, doesn't solve the problems of boys being smelly...and my dire need for some other girls to climb with. Since everybody here seems to NOT be from CA, guess I'd better just try my luck at the next Jtree trip. If you want to climb with me, just look for me at Crossroads, pounding Guinness like Gatorade!

And Cyberdee, hit me up! I was JUST at ye olde Mission Gorge, bugs crows and bolts everywhere! I'm not normally in SD but know some climbers down there...think I might go to Jtree Monday/Tuesday of next week...send me a PM!

amstone

May 14, 2008, 7:49 PM
Post #23 of 25 (6696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] All-girl climbing weekend? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WJCA!!! What the hell are you doing in here! You're a stinky boy!!!! HE HE HE! "You're my favorite!!" (Its kinda what I tell all the boy climbers... :) )

clausti

May 16, 2008, 1:35 AM
Post #24 of 25 (6533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
caliclimbergrl wrote:
ROTFL!!

these stay out of the way of fingercracks pretty well:

[img]http://photos-580.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v172/237/52/12705580/n12705580_34753967_5142.jpg[/img]

I'm not sure about how durable they will be on too much sharp granite, though.

how did i totally miss this??

we will find out how well those do on granite in august, baby. WHEN WE DO THE GRAND WALL, UNGH.

[and yes, "she"=i had been doing recent hand jamming. and finding makeout partners at the crags is easy, yes, but the good ones are elusive.]

and i agree with the ppl that said alpha male syndrome is more who you climb with than it is all boys. though i have fun climbing in all girl groups when it happens.

IBarrett

May 28, 2008, 4:06 AM
Post #25 of 25 (6261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two n00b girls (myself and my friend Michelle) in Bakersfield that would love an all girls weekend. Let us know! Smile

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook