RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

roberchr

May 8, 2008, 3:30 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by roberchr
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

sonso45

May 9, 2008, 1:38 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3046 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roberchr] multi pitch california help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Certainlly are ambitious, good luck. I have not heard of a rental trad rack. Meet a friend with one, it's how I started.

colatownkid

May 9, 2008, 2:23 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not trying to be a douche, but i'm just wondering how you'll "be sufficient in trad by the beginning of the summer" if you don't even have a rack. climbing 10b with little/no experience sounds like a good way to get yourself into serious trouble.

jbroom

May 9, 2008, 3:31 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i def agree with colakid its a different ball game once you more than one pitch off of the ground. lead plenty of one pitch trad before you think about any more. learn to place gear and built anchors efficiently with help from someone more experienced before you think about doing it yourself. after that man, cali has more mullti pitch/accomadating weather than any other state. lover's leap would be great for ya after some more experience.

k.l.k

May 9, 2008, 4:11 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first rack was half-a-dozen stoppers and a couple of bigger hexes. Add 30' of 9/16 webbing for runners and you'd be set. For most of us, that's less investment than a week's worth of beer money. And since it's May, there should already be folks in Camp 4 lowballing it and selling off their gear to pay for their return tickets or just more Cobras.

There are tons of Sierra classics that run low-mid 5th class that you don't need much gear for. You're not going to lead anywhere near your limit with that sort of set-up, but who cares? Yr. first season, especially, coming out of the gym, you need to get some mileage in the high stuff.

W. Ridge of Cathedral, Echo traverse, Cathedral-Echo-Unicorn traverse, N. Ridge of Conness, W. Ridge of Conness, N. Ridge North Peak, Matthes Crest, Tenaya Buttress, Bear Crk. Spire, and on and on.

Or you could just stay in the gym.

jon06

May 16, 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure where you're at in cal, but El Cajon mt. in San Diego is a great place to get multi pitch sport climbing in. There are routs of all levels, liberal use of bolts, and its easy to get 3 to 5 pitches up doing nothing but clip'n bolts. Only problem is in the summer, its really only enjoyable on the coolest of days, and there is a hike that you might want to start early on.

If your just getting into it though, start slow and don't get ahead of yourself. Enjoy the learning process.

Have fun.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook