Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

May 14, 2008, 7:51 AM
Post #1 of 85 (15303 views)
Shortcut

Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is not a personal attack on Angry or anything but just to prove that his methods of testing an emergency rap using a bare minimum rapping material was just simply wrong.

In one of my discussions in 2007, I suggested that in a SOL situation, it is possible to take a section of a rope apart and attach the cords in pairs or more to rap using commonly used rap devices in addition to a modify rapping configuration with an extra biner.

On my test today (May 13), I used 5+ feet of 11 mm PMI rope that was made of @22 smaller cord.Each cords were about 1-2 mm in dia.

On my first test, I used two sets of cord and my personal 8 and rapped 5 feet with no problem.

On the second test,I used 4 cords and attached each cord with an overhand bend knot 6 inches apart from the other knot so they could easily pass thru the ATC one at the time to avoid blockage.

I successfully raped over 20 feet of distance passing several knots and safely reach the ground. This test was only to demonstrate that this method is doable in an emergency situation where your options are limited (for whatever reasons) and it should be never used by INEXPERIENCED climbers .if interested in receiving a CD copy of this whole testing, shot me an email. it is 12 section and about 550 MB .

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Nov 22, 2008, 12:36 AM)

Partner j_ung

May 14, 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #2 of 85 (15247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters! Lost to Sorbat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
This is not a personal attack on Angry or anything but just to prove that his methods of testing an emergency rap using a bare minimum rapping material was just simply wrong.

In one of my discussions in 2007, I suggested that in a SOL situation, it is possible to take a section of a rope apart and attach the cords in pairs or more to rap using commonly used rap devices in addition to a modify rapping configuration with an extra biner.

On my test today (May 13), I used 5+ feet of 11 mm PMI rope that was made of @22 smaller cord.Each cords were abort 1-2 mm in dia.

On my first test, I used two sets of cord and my personal 8 and rapped 5 feet with no problem.

On the second test,I used 4 cords and attached each cord with an overhand bend knot 6 inches apart from the other knot so they could easily pass thru the ATC one at the time to avoid blockage.

I successfully raped over 20 feet of distance passing several knots and safely reach the ground. This test was only to demonstrate that this method is doable in an emergency situation where your options are limited (for whatever reasons) and it should be never used by INEXPERIENCED climbers such as Angry and his wabbit bashing friends.

Good luck and sorry for bad filming. I was rapping and filming all by myself so I do apologize .If anyone I know is interested in receiving a CD copy of this whole testing, shot me an email. it is 12 section and about 550 MB .

PS. Angry, you still owe me a 12 pack of corona and a large pizza for loosing this bet. Do not be a girl now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_eRobGWBE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBPYcq8cAs

Your editing is off. You really should have ended the second video with a bunch of air pelvic thrusts, while you shout, "Who's my bitch, Angry? WHO'S MY BITCH?"

A question: how long did it take to strip the core from your rope and what tools did you use?

WVUCLMBR

May 14, 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #3 of 85 (15241 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters! Lost to Sorbat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I came in early to work to see if you died Majid...aparently you didn't. However, the challenge was to rap 30 feet. You didn't. Part 2 of the challenge was to succesfully film it. As it seems you have no friends you decided to film it yourself.....which sucked. The good news is this fight will live on...which is what all rc.commers want to happen. I hope angey wakes up soon...I need to hear his 2cents. Nice try though Majid.

Partner epoch

May 14, 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #4 of 85 (15225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WVUCLMBR] Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters! Lost to Sorbat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stuck at work...

....Stupid Proxy....

Can't view....

...Really disappointed.

dynosore

May 14, 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #5 of 85 (15218 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters! Lost to Sorbat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Close but no cigar majid. Go with 3 strands and do the full 30 feet. Back yourself up on a second line, hate to see you auger in just to try to shut up angry, we all know THAT isn't going to happen anyways Wink

WVUCLMBR

May 14, 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #6 of 85 (15212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters! Lost to Sorbat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah...you are definately missing out......no sound...lots of pointing....close up of a belay glove.....then some blurry rapping.....much like the chinese on Qomolangma video this one could be fake.....hope Angry wakes up soon.......

edge

May 14, 2008, 1:41 PM
Post #7 of 85 (15181 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, MS, but you need to perform this miracle of ropemanship with 200 feet of cord and tools that everyone normally carries to prove your point.

Gmburns2000

May 14, 2008, 1:46 PM
Post #8 of 85 (15173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well,

I'm not sure if he proved it completely, as there are some details that still need to be worked out (e.g. - how many strands, how far to rap, etc). But I think that he did prove that conceptually that his idea works.

Now, whether it can work with fewer strands over a longer distance is somethat that still can be debated, but clearly the video shows that the thinner strands can be tied together to form a longer "rope", that the knots can be passed through an ATC, and that enough friction can be generated with regular pieces of equipment to keep the climber from rapping too fast.

What we don't know is the condition of the strands after the fact. This is important because of the longer rap question: if the strands wear out quickly as Angry noted in his test, then they will be less likely to bear weight over a longer period of time (i.e. - a longer rap distance if continually weighted).

However, I have to say that I can't wait for Angry's rebuttal. There is probably something I'm missing here. Until then, I have to give kudos to Majid for actually doing this. Symantics aside, I stand corrected about this being possible. I still would try other alternatives first, but now I know this can be done to some extent. Nice work Majid.

Greg

dynoho

May 14, 2008, 1:53 PM
Post #9 of 85 (15162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Finally, a voice to go with the myth....

Although we did not see the difficult task of stripping the sheath, we did see the dangerous part of successfully rapping. Stripping, organizing and tieing the knots on a small, windy ledge might take longer than a rescue, but it would give you something to do. Clearly though, in the hands of a well trained, self-proclaimed expert, this technique is possible. I am sure he could have continued another 10 feet if he had a taller tree.

Victory, MacGyver Sabet.

Side Note to MS.
You have been bashed by myself and others for your posts that make no sense. While your posts have improved dramatically of late, there are still far too many that leave readers saying WTF? After watching the video, I can say that your excuse of English as a second language is no longer valid. Your grasp of the spoken language is relatively strong. Basically. I suspect that it is more likely a result of carelessness and haste as you attempt to post 10 times a day. This is indicated by, and a contributing factor to your exceedingly high rate of post editing and deleting. Might I suggest you slow down, re-read your posts and make sure it is what you want to say?

hhelbein

May 14, 2008, 2:03 PM
Post #10 of 85 (15148 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters! Lost to Sorbat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For a bonus challenge, Majid and Angry should try to ascend 30 feet. What's the appropriate prussik cord thickness for a 1 mm rope?
hch

majid_sabet

May 14, 2008, 2:22 PM
Post #11 of 85 (15130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hhelbein] Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters! Lost to Sorbat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tongue

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on May 19, 2008, 10:52 PM)

edge

May 14, 2008, 2:42 PM
Post #12 of 85 (15098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

I took me about a minute take the cords out. I basically cut one end and then unwrap the first 6 inch and pull the cords out all in one piece. The way Angry did it was stupid and waste of time.

At what point does this become impossible? 5 meters, 10, 15, etc?

dutyje

May 14, 2008, 2:52 PM
Post #13 of 85 (15083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well done, Majid. Very well done. Seriously, though, quit making videos like that without some sort of backup.

Also, the rope you used (11mm static) had quite a few more strands than Angry's rope. I wonder how feasible this technique is on the lead lines normally in use.

This is all fun as a game, but I still contend that being able to employ this technique will never be the difference between life and death. Regardless, the creativity and experimentation build the critical thinking and application skills that may eventually help someone to get out of a bizarre situation, whatever it may be.

WVUCLMBR

May 14, 2008, 2:56 PM
Post #14 of 85 (15074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters! Lost to Sorbat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All I'm asking is for next time Majid to do a better job. He definately put some effort in on this one and should be given props for that. Just next time:

1. Have someone else shoot the video
2. Use standard gear, not Majid special shit
3. Show your work (in this case taking the rope apart)
4. Predict the stupid questions we will ask and answer them
5. Wear a mexican wrestling mask
6. Prove your boasts.....leave us with no doubt you are correct and we will STFU

Johnny_Fang

May 14, 2008, 3:04 PM
Post #15 of 85 (15061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i remember reading a stephen king novel as a child in which the person who is escaping prison, or something, homemade a rope. in the novel, the rope breaks near the bottom. he had tested his rope in his cell but king argued that a longer line has different physical properties. so a long line is weaker than a short line.

of course, stephen king is crap and i was a kid. but does anyone know if this is based on truth? so maybe MS could rap on his 20 feet of line, but stretching this out to 200 might be too much for those little bits of line.

just a thought.

stymingersfink

May 14, 2008, 3:04 PM
Post #16 of 85 (15061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
I successfully raped over 20 feet of distance

must have been quite a feat. Where did you stash that poor fellow after you were finished?

Gmburns2000

May 14, 2008, 3:15 PM
Post #17 of 85 (15045 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters! Lost to Sorbat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
I successfully raped over 20 feet of distance

must have been quite a feat. Where did you stash that poor fellow after you were finished?

Everyone at work just looked at me.LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

majid_sabet

May 14, 2008, 3:22 PM
Post #18 of 85 (15032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters! Lost to Sorbat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tongue

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on May 19, 2008, 10:52 PM)

wmfork

May 14, 2008, 3:29 PM
Post #19 of 85 (15024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One question Majid, did you use a DYNAMIC rope???

MikeSaint

May 14, 2008, 3:34 PM
Post #20 of 85 (15015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters! Lost to Sorbat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Majid Lives!

majid_sabet

May 14, 2008, 3:35 PM
Post #21 of 85 (15014 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters! Lost to Sorbat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tongue

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on May 19, 2008, 10:53 PM)

stymingersfink

May 14, 2008, 3:37 PM
Post #22 of 85 (15011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
I do not really think
Preserved from future edits.

dingus

May 14, 2008, 3:41 PM
Post #23 of 85 (15004 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters! Lost to Sorbat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All I want to know is who's lining up to smack angry on the ass as he goes by with Majid on his shoulders?

The Half Dome Angy Ass-Smack Gauntlet will go down in RC.com history my friends.

He'll love the way we smack his ass but he'll have control of us.

DMT

wmfork

May 14, 2008, 3:49 PM
Post #24 of 85 (14990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
I had a short 5+ feet of static rope but I do not really think it makes much of difference when you are having your weight on it.
The reason I ask is because your strands look quite different from angry's. Doesn't matter whether I think if you or angry is right, you've got a 6 pack from me next time I roll into the valley.

majid_sabet

May 14, 2008, 4:05 PM
Post #25 of 85 (14965 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Bluejays debunked, Angry-Busters! Lost to Sorbat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[Tongue

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on May 19, 2008, 10:53 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook