RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

doz

May 15, 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #1 of 13 (3496 views)
Shortcut

Shef Road What happened??!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Would some one tell me what happened to Shelf?! I used to climb there a lot 5, 6, 7 years ago, when I went back a few weeks ago it was like a frigging DOG FARM. And totally developed. No camping, totally packed, BLM/USFS need to expand the camp grounds that was a joke. “My bad” going on a Friday after work but it ain’t what it used to be quiet, good climbing, cool people with there pets on leashes. On a weekend you may see 5 people. OK I understand places get popular but holy crap. Now about the dog thing I know climbers like there dogs but “throw me a bone” (pun intended) I saw a guy on a (I think) 5.12 trying to make his FIRST clip with a bloody dog all hung up in the rope the belayer was so worried about the dog he would not jerk the rope to give the poor slob climbing enough rope to make the first clip. The guy was one notch away from a full panic trying to get the rope to the first bolt. I thought for a second he was going to deck. I am aware that Shelf is dog friendly but I would have kicked that flee bag into the next county if that was my wife leading. People need to have a little respect with there dogs at a crag.
Right before I left I heard a story about a dog pissing on a guys rack. When did pets become more important than peoples lives. And where is the respect of letting your dog piss on someone’s gear. Can you say LEASH.

Am I alone on my thinking or do I live in the dark ages and still think of pets as ANIMALS.

Doz

P.S. the climbing was good. not counting the dog digging a hole and filling my rope bag with dirt.

(This post was edited by doz on May 15, 2008, 10:18 PM)

glytch

May 15, 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #2 of 13 (3480 views)
Shortcut

Re: [doz] Shef Road What happened??!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

doz wrote:

Would some one tell me what happened to Shelf?!

Well, I'm going to venture a totally blind guess as to what happened: it's possible that some people brought their annoying dogs to the crag.

eliclimbs

May 15, 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #3 of 13 (3455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doz,
You're spot on with the dog comments. It clearly says in the BLM/ Forest Service rules that dog must be "under control". I've routinely had dog beg for food at my camp site, walk on my rope, block my path on trails, etc. at Shelf Road. These dogs were clearly not under control. I say leave your dogs at home, or put 'em on a leach, period.

Eli

tedman

May 15, 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eliclimbs] Shef Road What happened??!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

only been there once so far, but it was likewise, a damn dogfarm. Must have been at least 12 mutts running around. saw one party on the approach with no less than 3 full sized labs running amuck. pretty freaking obnoxious.

tharlow

May 16, 2008, 12:36 AM
Post #5 of 13 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Poorly behaved dogs at the crag are bad enough, then you go back to your tent and the campground is full of dog shit. Don't have such a problem with the dogs, its the owners that are the nuisance.

kfox527

May 27, 2008, 5:08 PM
Post #6 of 13 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tharlow] Shef Road What happened??!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I can tell from my visits, don't you get issued a dog when you move to Colorado?
Maybe that explains part of the problem.

jt512

May 27, 2008, 5:27 PM
Post #7 of 13 (3195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

doz wrote:
...“My bad” going on a Friday after work but it ain’t what it used to be quiet, good climbing, cool people with there pets on leashes. On a weekend you may see 5 people. OK I understand places get popular but holy crap. Now about the dog thing I know climbers like there dogs but “throw me a bone” (pun intended) I saw a guy on a (I think) 5.12 trying to make his FIRST clip with a bloody dog all hung up in the rope the belayer was so worried about the dog he would not jerk the rope to give the poor slob climbing enough rope to make the first clip. The guy was one notch away from a full panic trying to get the rope to the first bolt. I thought for a second he was going to deck. I am aware that Shelf is dog friendly but I would have kicked that flee bag into the next county if that was my wife leading. People need to have a little respect with there dogs at a crag.

People need to learn how to spell "their."

Jay

dlintz

May 27, 2008, 5:43 PM
Post #8 of 13 (3161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The CDOW is taking care of this. They recently introduced bears to the area in hopes of controlling this problem. Hopefully it'll help.

d.

Partner robdotcalm

May 27, 2008, 5:44 PM
Post #9 of 13 (3159 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kfox527] Shef Road What happened??!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A water pistol filled with ammonia cleaner diluted to half strength works well in keeping dogs away. On occasion, I've used a sling shot but concluded that was overly aggressive. However, it does keep the dogs away.

r.c

mattb1921

May 27, 2008, 8:58 PM
Post #10 of 13 (3087 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Shef Road What happened??!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a few dogs myself but always leave them at home when I go climbing. I do this because while climbing I do not have enough time to keep an eye on them. I wish more people would do this.
Also don't blame the dog for his/her poor behavior you should let the owner know you don't appreciate this behavior. The dog has nothing to do with the lack of training and discipline or even supervision.

I would recommend that you let the owners know that if they don't get their dog under control that you will report them. If they don't listen just take a picture of what you see and send it to the BLM with your complaint. You have to be careful that you don't jeopardize the crag and its use but I am sure the BLM would like to get feed back on the dog issue. I could be wrong and I don't know shelf very well but it never hurts to say something.

Some people just need to learn to respect others around them by keeping their dogs under control.

climbsomething

May 27, 2008, 9:23 PM
Post #11 of 13 (3070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Shef Road What happened??!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
A water pistol filled with ammonia cleaner diluted to half strength works well in keeping dogs away. On occasion, I've used a sling shot but concluded that was overly aggressive. However, it does keep the dogs away.

r.c
Just curious, why do you need the Windex?

Not that I'm against squirting pesky animals in general, though. I keep plain water in a squirt gun and zap my cats when they try to sneak their claws into the couch.

chossmonkey

May 27, 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #12 of 13 (3040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Shef Road What happened??!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
robdotcalm wrote:

r.c
Just curious, why do you need the Windex?

Not that I'm against squirting pesky animals in general, though. I keep plain water in a squirt gun and zap my cats when they try to sneak their claws into the couch.
They don't like the smell.

rtwilli4

Jun 3, 2008, 1:40 AM
Post #13 of 13 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kfox527] Shef Road What happened??!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
From what I can tell from my visits, don't you get issued a dog when you move to Colorado?
Maybe that explains part of the problem.

man i don't laugh out loud much when reading the computer but damn that is funny. I spend a year in colorado and i think you must get a tax break or something for owning a dog!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook