PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

punkencack

May 15, 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #1 of 89 (36213 views)
Shortcut

PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That's right. The snake migration has virtually shut down sinks canyon again. Only a crazy-ass fool would go there during this snake hey-day. Hundreds of them swarming in groups of two to nine, super-aggro, venomous and deadly. Probably won't be safe to climb at Sinks again until late August. Maybe later.

PHOTO ATTACHED
Attachments: Rattlesnakes.jpg (41.9 KB)

jon06

May 15, 2008, 10:49 PM
Post #2 of 89 (36204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [punkencack] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate those damn snake migrations. Nothing much you can do but go climbing at the gym!Wink

mccarthykm

May 15, 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #3 of 89 (36191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jon06] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh come on, you've got to appreciate how amazing these mass migrations are!

And I've got to give credit to the original post for using "venomous" and not "poisonous."

Snakes are not POISONOUS... you don't eat them so you don't get sick! Mushrooms on the other hand...

ja1484

May 15, 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #4 of 89 (36182 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mccarthykm] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mccarthykm wrote:
And I've got to give credit to the original post for using "venomous" and not "poisonous."

Snakes are not POISONOUS... you don't eat them so you don't get sick! Mushrooms on the other hand...

Merriam-Webster lists them as synonyms:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/poisonous

I think it's safe to say you could use either descriptor. In fact, Merriam-Webster also lists the second definition of "venomous" as:

Having a venom-producing gland and able to inflict a poisoned wound.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/venomous

(This post was edited by ja1484 on May 15, 2008, 11:11 PM)

fiferguy

May 15, 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #5 of 89 (36173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mccarthykm wrote:
you don't eat them

I beg to differ. Snake is delicious. I looked at that picture and remember some of the rattlesnake roundups I've been on in the past. Riding down a bumpy road in the back of a 1978 pickup with a 55-gallon drum full of pissed off rattlesnakes... good times. Cool

Now I'm hungry...

mccarthykm

May 16, 2008, 1:13 AM
Post #6 of 89 (36125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
mccarthykm wrote:

I think it's safe to say you could use either descriptor. In fact, Merriam-Webster also lists the second definition of "venomous" as:

While I haven't written any dictionaries lately I will point out that certain rattlesnakes, including eastern and western diamond backs as well as timber rattlesnakes all produce "venom" that includes a hemotoxin and neurotoxin. The first causes damage to your blood and tissue while the other attacks your nervous system. The point of venom is to kill and begin the digestion process for the snakes.

On the other hand, poisons typically is a severe allergic reactions that can potentially cause sickness and even death through "ingestion."

So I'll more clearly restate... poison invokes reactions and venom causes damage.

But unfortunately you'll see these incorrectly interchanged in several state and federal brochures... Except in Missouri where I am an environmental educator.

ja1484

May 16, 2008, 1:53 AM
Post #7 of 89 (36106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mccarthykm wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
mccarthykm wrote:

While I haven't written any dictionaries lately I will point out that certain rattlesnakes, including eastern and western diamond backs as well as timber rattlesnakes all produce "venom" that includes a hemotoxin and neurotoxin. The first causes damage to your blood and tissue while the other attacks your nervous system. The point of venom is to kill and begin the digestion process for the snakes.

On the other hand, poisons typically is a severe allergic reactions that can potentially cause sickness and even death through "ingestion."

So I'll more clearly restate... poison invokes reactions and venom causes damage.

But unfortunately you'll see these incorrectly interchanged in several state and federal brochures... Except in Missouri where I am an environmental educator.

So if I inject Rattlesnake venom into my bloodstream, is it poison or venom? What if I add it to a salad dressing? Is acid technically a venom because it acts via tissue damage and breaks down body tissue? Or is it only venom if an acid-shooting Japanese Giant Hornet squirts it on me, but it's poison if I drink it? But what if I drink the hornet? Is it poison and venom, or is it still venom because technically the hornet will be applying it to the inside of my digestive tract?

THESE ARE IMPORTANT DISTINCTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(This post was edited by ja1484 on May 16, 2008, 1:54 AM)

Partner robdotcalm

May 16, 2008, 3:28 AM
Post #8 of 89 (36054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mccarthykm wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
mccarthykm wrote:

Unfortunately, what you “restate clearly” is confusing. [“poison invokes reactions and venom causes damage” is so undecipherable as to be not even wrong.] In technical areas, words may be used differently than in ordinary speech, but your attempt at clarification fails. I would recommend that you do make use of standard dictionaries, since you are an educator.

Poisons do not “typically” cause an allergic reaction, e.g., arsenic or carbon monoxide, and one can inject a poison as in a lethal injection or inhale a poisonous gas. These modes do not involve ingestion into the alimentary system.

In ordinary usage, “venom” has a more restricted meaning than the more generic term “poison”. Merriam-Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary elaborates on the more restrictive sense of “venom”, stating inter alia, “venom may refer to a poison interjected with fierce malignant hostility <the venom of the rattlesnake>”.

I have a feeling these terms are not being interchanged incorrectly anywhere except perhaps in Missouri.

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

photoguy190

May 16, 2008, 3:44 AM
Post #9 of 89 (36040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You now you can drink venom some people think it makes them stronger there are no ill effects as long as you don't have an ulcer. You naturally digest the venom, which is actually a protein like an egg white. Another cool fact if you inject one rat with egg white and another with rattlesnake venom the one injected with egg white will die faster. I have seen this done it really wild.

clausti

May 16, 2008, 3:53 AM
Post #10 of 89 (36033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jon06 wrote:
I hate those damn snake migrations. Nothing much you can do but go climbing at the gym!Wink

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THESE MOTHERFUCKING SNAKES, IN THIS MOTHERFUCKING CANYON!!!!

chossmonkey

May 17, 2008, 3:36 PM
Post #11 of 89 (35951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
jon06 wrote:

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THESE MOTHERFUCKING SNAKES, IN THIS MOTHERFUCKING CANYON!!!!
Don't bring your mom to the canyon and you will be fine.Tongue

jon06

May 17, 2008, 3:50 PM
Post #12 of 89 (35941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
mccarthykm wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
mccarthykm wrote:

Unfortunately, what you “restate clearly” is confusing. [“poison invokes reactions and venom causes damage” is so undecipherable as to be not even wrong.] In technical areas, words may be used differently than in ordinary speech, but your attempt at clarification fails. I would recommend that you do make use of standard dictionaries, since you are an educator.

Poisons do not “typically” cause an allergic reaction, e.g., arsenic or carbon monoxide, and one can inject a poison as in a lethal injection or inhale a poisonous gas. These modes do not involve ingestion into the alimentary system.

In ordinary usage, “venom” has a more restricted meaning than the more generic term “poison”. Merriam-Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary elaborates on the more restrictive sense of “venom”, stating inter alia, “venom may refer to a poison interjected with fierce malignant hostility <the venom of the rattlesnake>”.

I have a feeling these terms are not being interchanged incorrectly anywhere except perhaps in Missouri.

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

I live out here in California and every biology/ecology/herpetology class i have ever taken has also said these to terms are not synonymous.
When in context of animals, there is most definitely a deference.

What me to reference a book?

ja1484

May 17, 2008, 4:21 PM
Post #13 of 89 (35919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jon06 wrote:
robdotcalm wrote:
mccarthykm wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
mccarthykm wrote:

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

I live out here in California and every biology/ecology/herpetology class i have ever taken has also said these to terms are not synonymous.
When in context of animals, there is most definitely a deference.

What me to reference a book?

That's fine if it's a discussion amongst biologists/ecologists/herpetologists.

For the rest of the public, the terms are going to remain synonymous for the most part, like they always have, because common usage dictates meaning in language just as much as vice versa.

Partner robdotcalm

May 17, 2008, 4:47 PM
Post #14 of 89 (35911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jon06 wrote:

«I live out here in California and every biology/ecology/herpetology class i have ever taken has also said these to terms are not synonymous...there is most definitely a
deference.»

More confusion. Which word has deference to which word?

In my posting, I did not say the terms were synonyms (“one of two or more words having essentially identical definitions…’ Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary). It was stated that “poison” was the more general term and venom the more restricted.

OK, I agree with one thing you wrote. People in California are as confused as those in Missouri.

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

(This post was edited by robdotcalm on May 18, 2008, 11:25 PM)

bolderer

May 17, 2008, 6:10 PM
Post #15 of 89 (35888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [punkencack] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

that pic makes my blood run cold, whether it's venom or poison that scares me shitless.....

janderson4010

May 17, 2008, 7:28 PM
Post #16 of 89 (35863 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
jon06 wrote:

I can't believe no one caught on to that, thats some funny shitLaugh

jon06

May 17, 2008, 8:32 PM
Post #17 of 89 (35839 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, now i'm getting pissed. Not at you robdotcalm. But at this web page. I got sucked in. I need to get ready to go camping/climbing this afternoon, and what am I doing?
I'm flipping through text books to quote.

You're right, I am confused. But not about those definitions in the context we are using them.

When referring to animals,

Venomous: A toxin injected by an animal. (rattlesnakes, scorpions, platypus)
Poisonous: A toxin that is Harmful if swallowed (Poison arrow frog, California newt)

I'm done. I'm going climbing.

You should to!Smile

chadcummings

May 18, 2008, 3:42 AM
Post #18 of 89 (35775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

they're just rattlesnakes. whats the big deal take a shovel. sorry i'm just used to them and i kill everyone since i got stuck on the heel when i was younger. there is enough non- viper snakes to take up the slack around my part of texas that killing them wont hurt the ecosystem.

Partner robdotcalm

May 18, 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #19 of 89 (35704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jon06 wrote:
Ok, now i'm getting pissed. Not at you robdotcalm. But at this web page. I got sucked in. I need to get ready to go camping/climbing this afternoon, and what am I doing?
I'm flipping through text books to quote.

You're right, I am confused. But not about those definitions in the context we are using them.

When referring to animals,

Venomous: A toxin injected by an animal. (rattlesnakes, scorpions, platypus)
Poisonous: A toxin that is Harmful if swallowed (Poison arrow frog, California newt)

I'm done. I'm going climbing.

You should to!Smile

jon06:

I give you credit for trying, but it’s still not right as you’ve used the word “toxin” in a way inconsistent with its meaning.

Merriam-Webster Unabridged defines toxin thusly

«any of various poisonous substances that are specific products of the metabolic activities of living organisms, are colloidal substances related to proteins and usually very unstable, are notably toxic when introduced into the tissues but are almost all destroyed by the digestive juices, and are typically capable of inducing antibody formation in suitable animals»

Thus referring to something a person (or animal) swallows as a “toxin” is inappropriate. The confusion here may arise from the fact that the adjective “toxic” has a more general meaning than the noun “toxin”.

I agree with you that I’d be better off climbing than being a word Nazi, but I’m healing from some fractured vertebrae ( stupid accident ) so word play is one of my substitute activities.

Incidentally, I did see a small rattlesnake last week while hiking along the Devils Backbone Trail here in Loveland. It was a cold day, and the poisonous snake was lethargic and not exhibiting any venomous behavior that indicated it would inject a toxin into me.

Cheers, rob.calm
Sunday, 18 May, 2008 17:18 MDT

Partner camhead

May 18, 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #20 of 89 (35693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadcummings] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadcummings wrote:
they're just rattlesnakes. whats the big deal take a shovel. sorry i'm just used to them and i kill everyone since i got stuck on the heel when i was younger. there is enough non- viper snakes to take up the slack around my part of texas that killing them wont hurt the ecosystem.

don't kill snakes, asshole.

I've thrutched through plenty of underbrush in Texas looking for The Next Great Crag, and run into plenty of water moccasins, copperheads, and cottonmouths. I've come across rattlers wedged in handcracks in Red Rocks that turned 5.8 jamming into 5.11 stemming. I've had two baby rattlesnakes on different occasions fall and land on me, once while 500 feet off the deck. I've sat back in the shade in the desert, heckling friends on climbs while belaying only to hear a rattling in my ear.

And I've never had to kill a motherfucking snake, asshole.

shockabuku

May 19, 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #21 of 89 (35671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
chadcummings wrote:

I've thrutched through plenty of underbrush in Texas looking for The Next Great Crag, and run into plenty of water moccasins, copperheads, and cottonmouths. I've come across rattlers wedged in handcracks in Red Rocks that turned 5.8 jamming into 5.11 stemming. I've had two baby rattlesnakes on different occasions fall and land on me, once while 500 feet off the deck. I've sat back in the shade in the desert, heckling friends on climbs while belaying only to hear a rattling in my ear.

Eh? So?

zeke_sf

May 19, 2008, 3:24 AM
Post #22 of 89 (35623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
chadcummings wrote:

Good writing here. I like the asshole symmetry.

fiferguy

May 19, 2008, 3:56 AM
Post #23 of 89 (35610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
chadcummings wrote:

But they taste so good... what do you do for food on your trips, pack it in? **gasp** Cool

chadcummings

May 19, 2008, 4:15 AM
Post #24 of 89 (35597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

call me an asshole all you like. it wont affect me that some guy on the internet thinks im an asshole. Have you ever been bitten? seen someone with health problems get struck by one and seen the pain and struggle for life? what any little kid that got bite by a baby rattler becuase they didn't know? i'm not scared of snakes i kill them with a pocket knife and a stick to hold their head down.

you know what i am an asshole. thanks for teaching me that

jon06

May 19, 2008, 5:37 PM
Post #25 of 89 (35506 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadcummings] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got bit by a dog when why I was a kid. Do you know how many more people are killed by domestic dogs than rattlesnakes? Dose this mean I should kill every dog I see on the spot?

Give me a fucking break!

You don't see past you're own nose, and use a very faulty reasoning.

You probably got bit in the ankle when you were a kid because you were trying to step on it.

Karma's a bitch.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook