RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

jhump

Oct 31, 2002, 6:26 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2365 views)
Shortcut

Modifying the MSR Dragonfly
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The dragonfly is easily separated from its basket/legs assembly by popping the bracket arms that allow the burner assembly to pivot, out of the basket. Now you have 2 pieces- 1 basket/legs and 1 fuel line/burner. My idea is to get rid of the basket/legs and its 5 oz. Instead build a basket out of the factory heavy aluminum foil heat reflector that the burner will sit in. That replaces the basket part. Now the legs. Take the remainder of the heat reflector and roll it into a cyllinder about 5 inches in diameter. Wrap it around the burner assembly. The pot will rest on it, and it will be the wind shield and heat reflector. Now take a second aluminum heat reflector and wrap it around the pot and everything else. Place the stove on 2 pickets stomped flat into the snow. With this set up, I can boil water quickly, but the flame at high burn tends to smolder due to lack of oxygen. I'm sure this would only be amplified at altitude. To solve it, I cut some holes in the reflector, but its still not enough. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with such a modification?
Jeremy

punk

Oct 31, 2002, 6:36 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2365 views)
Shortcut

Modifying the MSR Dragonfly [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah,
how about get the XGK-II

bradhill

Oct 31, 2002, 7:11 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might try an oxegenating additive to your fuel like methanol, ethanol or MTBE. They're used to increase burn efficiency of gasoline in cars in winter and at altitude. Not sure what the exact mixture would be for your application, but I think with ethanol in auto gas it's something in the neighborhood of 10% and MTBE is closer to 15%. I'm not sure if you can just buy MTBE at an auto parts store as an additive since it is a potent pollutant. Ethanol is just good ol' booze, but fully denatured alcohol needs to be distilled from benzene and so is more expensive, difficult to find, and can't double as a late-night pick me up. (pre-mix it before you leave)

You might also just need to experiment with the nozzle aperature, which acts as a carburator to achieve the gas/air mixture.

Also, it may just not be possible to run the stove all-out with good efficiency at high altitudes due to the reduced oxygen available.

agrauch

Oct 31, 2002, 8:13 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeremy,

Your idea is interesting, sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it. In practical terms, how easy is your stove to use? Some questions to consider, mostly related to durability and ease of use:

Is the setup stable?

Does it slide around alot if the pickets aren't level?

How much work is it to set up?

Can the basket assembly be stuffed into a pack without getting bent out of shape?

Do you have to bend the foil for the legs every time you use it, or can you pack the pre-shaped legs without crushing them?

Do you have to shape the legs exactly right in order to balance the pot?

If you have to bend the legs every time you use it, how long does it take?

Can you set it up with gloves on?

I'm sure you've thought of most of these things and I'm just wondering. I really like MSR stoves because for the most part they're easy to use and extremely durable. Is 5oz. worth compromizing such a vital piece of equipment? Have you seen the MSR's new stove called the SimmerLite? They claim it only weighs 8.5oz.

BTW, I applaud your decision to attempt the Cassin with such style.

[ This Message was edited by: agrauch on 2002-10-31 12:15 ]

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook