Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

adatesman

May 19, 2008, 1:19 PM
Post #26 of 87 (4269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WVUCLMBR] Clarification on the SOL rap issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

WVUCLMBR wrote:
Personally, I'd still like to see the original 30' using 5' of rope with a standard rack.

Assuming you have regular biners as part of your standard rack, you should have no problem. Wink

For the 5' I did I simply did 4 wraps around the spine of the biner for friction (read: clip the strands, pass the top end around the spine, clip again, repeat as needed). Majid says he did 4 wraps + an ATC.

I've got some trimming to do on the oak tree out back, so maybe I'll see about doing the 30' challenge later this week.

-a.

WVUCLMBR

May 19, 2008, 1:51 PM
Post #27 of 87 (4259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Clarification on the SOL rap issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

You won't do it......you are a big chicken sir!!!! If Majid the great couldn't do it neither can you!!!!
Ok, now you have officially been called out, get to work on that one bro.....
Rules:
1. Exactly 5' of dynamic rope 9.8-11mm (your choice)
2. That branch needs to be 30'+ off the ground (provide proof)
3. Nothing can be used that you can't buy from an average gear shop.
4. Show your work
a. taking rope apart
b. setup for rapel
c. loading your device
d. complete rapel filmed from ground level
e. condition of "cord" after rapel

I am prepared to do something I've talked about doing should you accomplish this. I am prepared to make the 1st two day accent of Sunset Wall @ Coopers Rock. Sure it's only 35' high, but it would definately be a 1st.
One last thing, we are gonna need at least one drawing with red/green arrows.

zeke_sf

May 19, 2008, 2:19 PM
Post #28 of 87 (4245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Clarification on the SOL rap issue [In reply to]
Report this Post

stymingersfink wrote:
angry wrote:
in fact, I like to twist yucca myself when bored.
will rapping 30' on 5' of twisted yucca be the next challenge? Shocked

Smile

Your wrong. Angry was clearly referring to masturbation.

majid_sabet

May 19, 2008, 4:05 PM
Post #29 of 87 (4208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:
You won't do it......you are a big chicken sir!!!! If Majid the great couldn't do it neither can you!!!!
Rules:
4. Show your work
a. taking rope apart
b. setup for rapel
c. loading your device
d. complete rapel filmed from ground level
e. condition of "cord" after rapel

I am prepared to do something I've talked about doing should you accomplish this. I am prepared to make the 1st two day accent of Sunset Wall @ Coopers Rock. Sure it's only 35' high, but it would definately be a 1st.

I used 5 feet of 11 mm rope of my choice, did rap 20+ feet on strands (could not climb the tree to do 30). I filmed it and presented to the RCers. The only missing items were the GR arrows .Now I wonder, how many big talkers in RC have bulls to try this at home?

reg

May 19, 2008, 4:20 PM
Post #30 of 87 (4200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Clarification on the SOL rap issue [In reply to]
Report this Post

angry wrote:

My conclusion to all this, Majid is right, in theory.

I'll own up to mistakes made in the first test. I'll also own up that I should have at least repeated the test before making the post.

MS: ain't no "girl" talkin there! (plz - no offense intended to all the women out there) - thanks angry

WVUCLMBR

May 19, 2008, 4:51 PM
Post #31 of 87 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Clarification on the SOL rap issue [In reply to]
Report this Post

I have a feeling adatesman will accomplish what you couldn't Majid....remember you used 5+ feet? What we want is some to do the actual challenge....not the crap-fest you produced.

adatesman

May 19, 2008, 5:15 PM
Post #32 of 87 (4170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:
Rules:
4. Show your work
a. taking rope apart
b. setup for rappel
c. loading your device
d. complete rappel filmed from ground level
e. condition of "cord" after rappel

Well now... I was going to do it just because I was going to be up in the tree anyway, but if my doing it gets you to bivvy on a 35' wall for a night, I'm definitely in. Cool

Let's work out some details on the rules...
1. It was a 61" section of a retired 10.something gym rope, no idea size/brand/model since it wasn't mine.
2. I don't know exactly how high the branches are, but they should be in the ballpark. I'll measure it when I get up there, but its raining at the moment so it won't be today. There's a pic below to give you an idea how high they are.
3. Agreed. In fact, I'll do you one better.... only gear used for the rap will be a single locking carabiner and the sheath from the rope tied as a loop to sit in. That said, I'll have a proper harness / belay as well in case things go badly, but they'll not be weighted during the rap.
4a. Rope was cut and desheathed a few days ago, so no way to get pics of that and I'd rather not waste another section since it was donated for pull testing.
b. Agreed
c. Agreed
d. Agreed
e. Absolutely
5. Pic with red and green arrows:

Now, as for your challenge, I propose the following:
1. complete photo documentation of the ascent
2. hammock or ledge acceptable
3. no leaving said hammock or ledge for 6 hour period overnight (i.e. starting 5 minutes before midnight and finishing 5 minutes after midnight does not constitute a 2 day ascent)
4. at least 1 meal must be prepared while on the ledge
5. a poop tube must also be used (no photographic or physical evidence needed, I'll trust you on this one)
6. at least one 6pack of PBR and 2 ham sammies must be consumed at some point during the ascent

We have a deal?

-a.

WVUCLMBR

May 19, 2008, 6:25 PM
Post #33 of 87 (4152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

1. I'll trust ya on the 5' of rope.
2. everything else on your end is fine
3. excellent picture.

As far as my epic:
1. I'll have the wife take pictures from the ground as well as video the climb/setup of hammock. I will shoot video @ random times during the night to prove I stayed put all night.
2. I will be using a army surplus rope hammock
3. I'll be in the hammock from sundown to sunup
4. I'll make/take a poop tube, but I'm pretty sure the park rangers would have an issue with me poopin on sunset wall.
5. I don't drink anymore (and no beers allowed @ Coopers), but I will haul a small cooler with gatoraid. As far as meal preperation goes, does making a MRE count or do I need a stove prepared meal?
6. I will publicly announce the date of my ascent allowing my friends to show up and mock me.
7. My buddy mike will serve as my technical advisor but will not assist in any way other than belay.

Both challenges should be viewed/verified by a panel of rc.commers picked by us. I would suggest Angry & Majid and 3 other volunteers of good moral character.

Edited to add: Sorry about my Penguins kicking the crap out of your Flyers.

(This post was edited by WVUCLMBR on May 19, 2008, 6:35 PM)

majid_sabet

May 19, 2008, 6:36 PM
Post #34 of 87 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

you guys are trying to get me killed so you could LOL over my dead as* but that aint going to happen. Not untill I get another 3-4 new GF out of RC.

I even PMed Angry to see if he want to join me to make a presentation film and put it on youtube for this SOL rap sh*t but he is still trying to cool off over his big lost to Daady Sorbat.

Yoo Angolo

When are you going to send my beers dude ?

chadnsc

May 19, 2008, 6:48 PM
Post #35 of 87 (4136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Uh Majid, I don't think people really care about the tests you did anymore.

You're old news, a has-been, your fifteen minutes of fame is up. If your persistent attempts to insert yourself into an actually controlled experiment just makes you look desperate for attention. Besides you apparently have a few girlfriends, go play with them!Crazy

Adatesman, be careful when doing your experiment. I wouldn’t want you to rap onto the dog, or worse yet, Chuck! Shocked

adatesman

May 19, 2008, 6:57 PM
Post #36 of 87 (4128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey WVU-

Sounds like we have ourselves a deal then. Too bad I'm not closer.... I'd come down to aid in the mocking. Wink

And no worries about substituting gatorade... PBR's basically sex in a canoe anyway.

As for the Pens/Flyers, I gave up on the Flyers / hockey in general back when Lindros turned into such a wanker. Always liked the Penguins though (even if they were evil.... )

Oh, and I tossed a rope up in the tree during a break in the rain and its looking like somewhere around 34' to the branch I was planning on anchoring on. Might still be possible with stretch. Worst case I just drop the last couple feet...

-a.

EDIT= Good thinking on the MRE too... it completely avoids the need for the poop tube. Don't forget to mix the coffee powder and drink mix for that oh-so-tasty caffiene/sugar rush!

(This post was edited by adatesman on May 19, 2008, 7:03 PM)

WVUCLMBR

May 19, 2008, 7:07 PM
Post #37 of 87 (4120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

You sir have a deal. Don't get hurt and good luck bro. Should you succede I will procede with "Sunset Wall Epic" probably on the weekend of the 31st. I'm gonna go up this week to take pics/work out logistics/plan anchors. I'll post pics with Paint drawing/red&green arrows.

Did you hear that Majid? He is actually gonna rap 30'+ feet like you said you would.......

majid_sabet

May 19, 2008, 7:17 PM
Post #38 of 87 (4112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:
You sir have a deal. Don't get hurt and good luck bro. Should you succede I will procede with "Sunset Wall Epic" probably on the weekend of the 31st. I'm gonna go up this week to take pics/work out logistics/plan anchors. I'll post pics with Paint drawing/red&green arrows.

Did you hear that Majid? He is actually gonna rap 30'+ feet like you said you would.......

Fine

5 feet of 9 to 11 mm rope to construct a 30 feet rap. NO additional backup belay, film it and show it in RC.

WVUCLMBR

May 19, 2008, 7:28 PM
Post #39 of 87 (4093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Woah.....I'm gonna let him have a backup belay as I don't wanna feel guilty if he craters. His video should be good nough to prove his backup belay wasn't engaged. Your original challenge said nothing about forbidding a backup belay....you sir were just dumb not to use one.

adatesman

May 19, 2008, 7:29 PM
Post #40 of 87 (4093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Fine

5 feet of 9 to 11 mm rope to construct a 30 feet rap. NO additional backup belay, film it and show it in RC.

Um, no.... There absolutely _will_ be a backup belay. I've got nothing to prove here Majid, and have no interest in risking injury for this. If you remember back a couple days I'm the one who posted (in support of you) successful results doing this from a hook on the ceiling in your Angy-Busters thread (or was it this one? So many threads on this....). So what's up with sounding all pissy about how I do the full 30' test?

-a.

(This post was edited by adatesman on May 19, 2008, 7:30 PM)

l8-start-up

May 19, 2008, 7:30 PM
Post #41 of 87 (4091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

majid_sabet wrote:

How would a backup belay alter the validity of the test? Is this still an extreme sort of gear test or is it now just comparative analysis of genitals?

chadnsc

May 19, 2008, 7:32 PM
Post #42 of 87 (4089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Fine

I can just see Majid commenting on not using a back. . . er wait a minute. . . I’m so confused

majid_sabet

May 19, 2008, 7:35 PM
Post #43 of 87 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Clarification on the SOL rap issue [In reply to]
Report this Post

chadnsc wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Fine

I can just see Majid commenting on not using a back. . . er wait a minute. . . I’m so confused

MY 20+ feet of rap had no BACKUP belay

NO NADA

either you trust this sytem or just do not do it.

billcoe_

May 19, 2008, 7:40 PM
Post #44 of 87 (4078 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Clarification on the SOL rap issue [In reply to]
Report this Post

angry wrote:
My conclusion to all this, Majid is right, in theory.

OMG, say it ain't so! I think that I hear extreme choaking noises behind the screen there!

BTW, what size shoe do you wear Angry, cause maybe Majid can fit in them for a week for a thousand bucks:-)

I got to agree with Angry: PLEASE DON'T ANYONE ELSE EVER DO THIS TEST IN THE REAL WORLD, if you are in a climbing area, someone will come along and bail your ass off.

Angry and Majid: thanks to your both for the great mind bending challenge, the thoughtfulness, time and humor which you have put into this.

I was almost stuck on a isolated (as in isolated meaning no other climbers or people go there) cliff last year. I would still not have used this method, even if it had been in the quiver then, to get my dehydrated sorry tired ass down, had it been the only way. Rapping off a 3" diameter baby fir tree after some 5.10 feeling something first ascent 20-25' solo traversing bullshit to get to the tree, then back to unstuck the rope after I pulled it and it got coiled irretrievable in a chimney back there, then back again to the baby fir eventually did the trick.

Love the idea though!

WVUCLMBR

May 19, 2008, 7:43 PM
Post #45 of 87 (4078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

You are just pissed because you failed. Now you probably know you could do it right but doing/posting so would be admitting your 1st attempt was bogus. Now someone is gonna do it right thus increasing your already growing rc.com tard status.
I wanna see if this is possible, but I wanna see it done in a safe/controlled manner. Lets face it, this is an experiment and needs to be treated as such with the necessary precautions taken.
A- Stick to our agreed terms. A backup belay is perfectly acceptable as long as it is very clear in your video that it never engaged.

Gmburns2000

May 19, 2008, 7:45 PM
Post #46 of 87 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

majid_sabet wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Fine

NO NADA

I'm not sure I want to say this, but he's got a point. If a death route can't be retro-bolted, and if a stranded climber doesn't have a backup then why should the tester? Majid was so confident his method would work, he really did the test as if he were stranded (though not to the specs determined beforehand).

Of course, the correct answer is because the tester isn't stranded and isn't retro-bolting his tree. Safety comes first Majid, even if the threat of a backup possibly infringes on the spirit of the test being done. I say that as long as the backup is visibly slack the entire way down, then it is OK to use.

WVUCLMBR

May 19, 2008, 7:50 PM
Post #47 of 87 (4067 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Clarification on the SOL rap issue [In reply to]
Report this Post

With adatesman's approval I would like to invite you to be Judge #3 Gmburns2000.

chadnsc

May 19, 2008, 7:55 PM
Post #48 of 87 (4062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

majid_sabet wrote:

NO NADA

Good for you majid. Unfortunately not everyone trusts this system or your testing methods; thus the controlled experiment with a back-up belay.

Besides wouldn’t you feel just awful if adatesman fell and landed on that small barking doggie? I know I would.

Gmburns2000

May 19, 2008, 7:55 PM
Post #49 of 87 (4061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:
With adatesman's approval I would like to invite you to be Judge #3 Gmburns2000.

With Adateman's approval, I graciously accept.

PS - Who are the other judges exactly? I assume you and...

WVUCLMBR

May 19, 2008, 7:57 PM
Post #50 of 87 (4057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Clarification on the SOL rap issue [In reply to]
Report this Post

No, I'm not a judge. I'm hoping Angry and Majid will serve as judge #1 & #2, you would be #3.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook