RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

zealotnoob

May 22, 2008, 6:27 PM
Post #1 of 14 (3172 views)
Shortcut

Best long class 4ish in Colorado
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm taking a trip to CO with my girlfriend and would like to do a long 4th-ish class rock route or traverse with her.

We did the North Ridge of Mt. Conness III 5.6 in Tuolumne last summer and it was one fo the coolest things I've ever done.

I'd love to do something similar. Something that's technically easy, but exposed and spectacular. Something that would require an overnight would be great.

Any ideas?

dlintz

May 22, 2008, 7:13 PM
Post #2 of 14 (3155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zealotnoob] Best long class 4ish in Colorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a couple for you plus you get to bag some 14ers:

Knife Ridge on Capitol Peak. The real fun is over in about a minute of very exposed traversing but it's still good stuff.

Blanca Peak to Little Bear Peak. This one is a doozy.

d.

jkasmann

May 22, 2008, 7:16 PM
Post #3 of 14 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Best long class 4ish in Colorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dlintz wrote:
Knife Ridge on Capitol Peak. The real fun is over in about a minute of very exposed traversing but it's still good stuff.

I was going to suggest the same route - lots of exposure and a nice spot to camp by Capitol Lake.

wannabe

May 22, 2008, 7:23 PM
Post #4 of 14 (3140 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zealotnoob wrote:
I'm taking a trip to CO with my girlfriend and would like to do a long 4th-ish class rock route or traverse with her.

We did the North Ridge of Mt. Conness III 5.6 in Tuolumne last summer and it was one fo the coolest things I've ever done.

I'd love to do something similar. Something that's technically easy, but exposed and spectacular. Something that would require an overnight would be great.

Any ideas?

A fantastic traverse...the sawtooth traverse between Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans fits your description. It can be made more exciting by staying on top of the ridge rather than doing a rolling traverse. The revised traverse is low 5th class solo but you can easily back off to the traditional route if your not feeling up to it.
I highly reccomend it and it as well will give you two 14er summits.

Vince

dlintz

May 22, 2008, 7:30 PM
Post #5 of 14 (3131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a lot of good ones. Another that I've wanted to do for a long time is the North Ridge of Kit Carson Peak.

There's Blitzen Ridge on Ypsilon Mountain in Rocky Mountain National Park but you and your girlfriend better be in shape and have your shit together before attempting this bad boy. Wink

d.

zealotnoob

May 23, 2008, 1:36 PM
Post #6 of 14 (3074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is Denver the best place for flying in for these objectives? Are all of these in RMNP?

dlintz

May 23, 2008, 5:41 PM
Post #7 of 14 (3047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They're spread all over the state. Info on all of the suggestions excluding Blitzen Ridge can be found on http://www.14ers.com/.

If you can't find specific route info try searching or asking in that site's forum. You might get some more suggestions from them.

Some info on Blitzen Ridge can be found here: http://www.mountainproject.com/...se=blitzen+ridg&.

d.

rkepley_1

May 23, 2008, 6:39 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second Blitzen Ridge on Ypsilon in RMNP. I've done it twice now and would highly recommend it. Both times I just wore trail runners. Some people do rope up for the "aces". Expect a long day, but totally worth it. If you're looking for fantastic views with dizzying exposure, then this is the one for you.

(This post was edited by rkepley_1 on May 23, 2008, 6:42 PM)

zealotnoob

May 30, 2008, 4:07 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I must say, Blitzen Ridge is capturing my interest. However, since my girlfriend has little climbing experience, I'm a little worried about the need for downclimbing and the time required to complete the route.

I believe we would hike in and camp at the base of the route on day 1, do the route on day 2 and hike out on day 3.

How long might the route take at a slow pace, camp to camp?

How extensive is the need to downclimb and how easy, generally, it is to protect the exposed/steep stuff on the route?

Thanks for all of the great info, btw.

(This post was edited by zealotnoob on May 30, 2008, 4:58 PM)

munky

May 30, 2008, 4:49 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another good option in RMNP is Long's Peak. You will hike for about 5-7 miles or so (can't remember the length) but once through the keyhole you begin to do some climbing (very easy even for a complete newb but exposed) and the final 1000 feet or so would probably check in at around 5.2-5.4 or so. I'll see if I can post so pictures later when I get home. Plus, you get to bag the highest peak in CO and if you still have juice you could head over to Chasm Cirque and check out the Diamond- one of the best walls in the U.S. There is even a new hostel in Estes Park that opened up 2 years ago that was relatively cheap ($20/night).

fulton

May 30, 2008, 6:29 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Re: [munky] Best long class 4ish in Colorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would also recommend the Keyhole Route.

About 500 vertical feet shy of the keyhole (at which point the "climbing" begins) there is a boulder field camp spot that looks like Pakistan -- totally apline.

However, there is nothing fifth class about the Keyhole route. It is the definition of fourth class. I might bring a rope if I were doing it with a small child, but not another adult.

But it is a very exposed and sporty non-technical climb. And, you can't be the venue -- RMNP is the most compelling place I've ever been other than Yosemite.

csproul

May 30, 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fulton] Best long class 4ish in Colorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While I'll agree that the Keyhole is spectacular, there is not a class 4 move on it. Class 3 at worst. I've seen little kids and 80 year grandmothers walking up it. If you head up it, take the detour and look at Chasm View overlook at the base of the North Face Cables Route.

csproul

May 30, 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [munky] Best long class 4ish in Colorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

munky wrote:
Another good option in RMNP is Long's Peak. You will hike for about 5-7 miles or so (can't remember the length) but once through the keyhole you begin to do some climbing (very easy even for a complete newb but exposed) and the final 1000 feet or so would probably check in at around 5.2-5.4 or so. I'll see if I can post so pictures later when I get home. Plus, you get to bag the highest peak in CO and if you still have juice you could head over to Chasm Cirque and check out the Diamond- one of the best walls in the U.S. There is even a new hostel in Estes Park that opened up 2 years ago that was relatively cheap ($20/night).
Longs Peak is not the highest peak in CO. In fact, it doesn't even make the top ten.

munky

Jun 1, 2008, 9:55 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Best long class 4ish in Colorado [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

opps, I swear i didn't mean to say that.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook