Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

xgretax

Apr 21, 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #1 of 35 (12715 views)
Shortcut

thyroid hell
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I usually try not to post problems of the personal nature online, especially on this site. However, desperation is a fucked up thing...

So, as can be gathered by the title, I am in thyroid hell. I gave birth to my daughter 10 months ago and have yet to loose a pound permanently (meaning I lost some and gained it back). Has anyone had to deal with this? I'm just looking for more ideas and options for my treatment.

So, my brief story:

I breastfeed, eat when I can and as well as I can. For months I cut out absolutely everything that inhibits thyroid function and stresses the adrenals. No response. I exercise as often and effectively as I can. Nothing works, so I went to the dr and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and referred to another dr who put my on synthroid. Not to mention the nodule and the biopsy. It has been 5 months and I have not responded to the synthroid (yes, I know it can take a long time). My dr wouldn't discuss any other treatment options with me and only looks to the labs, not considering how I feel. I also gathered up my med records and found that the cancer they told me I didn't have was still a real concern, given the types of cells present in the biopsy (fna) (love what they don't tell you) So out of money and out of patience, I stopped seeing that incompetent douchebag.

I realized that one of my good friends has had a pretty hardcore battle with graves disease and he recommended his ND. Still out of cash, I sold my old (read: skinny) clothes to my friends and came up with some money to go see the guy. Yes, I cried. I have yet to make the appointment as I am waiting until after I defend my thesis.

So basically, my question to those of you out there that have dealt with a similar situation, what worked for you? I know it may not work for me, but I'm working on getting together a bigger arsenal of treatment options to discuss with the ND.

TMad

(This post was edited by xgretax on Apr 21, 2008, 11:09 PM)

clausti

Apr 23, 2008, 2:40 AM
Post #2 of 35 (12664 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xgretax] thyroid hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

greta- i was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism last fall, and though i didnt have the weight battles you have had, (my mom did, exact same situation), i have finally picked up after feeling like crap forever.

i have two immediate comments to your concerns in this post, and they are

1- synthroid doesnt work for some people, there is more than one kind of drug, and if you dont feel improved, you should ask to try others. they get them from different sources, or bind them with different things, and some of them are dyed with god knows what, and you might be reacting poorly. also, check what you are actually taking. it probably isnt synthroid, it is probably a generic. different pharmacies may use different generics for the same drugs, and you should check into that.

2- it shouldn't take five months. it should take 2-3 months to to reach maximal effectiveness.

3. your TSH should really be under 2.5, though some doctors will tell you it is ok if it is under 5. i recommend doing some research on that, as i think i read that heard problems are associated with sustained elevated tsh.

4. if you still feel like crap, and your doctor doesn't care, you are definitely doing the right thing seeing another doctor. they should listen to you, not just look at the labs. when i started treatment, i felt a lot better, and i went back for my checkup a few months later, and the doc was like, oh, your numbers look much better, but most ppl feel best if they're still a little lower. want to try a bit more? (obviously with the disclaimer of list of symptoms that would indicate i'm taking too much and should come back in) but the stepped up dose again had a noticeable difference in feeling. i dont know if i would have made it through my first year of gradschool without getting that treated. i slept *all the time.* and you cant, with the baby.

if you wanna talk more, feel free to call me.

olive

Apr 23, 2008, 3:05 AM
Post #3 of 35 (12654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] thyroid hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Greta,
Dont have too much to add but to say you are on the right track in seeking out a different doctor. I dealt with some thyroid issues myself (in my case it is hashimitos which has the same symptoms as hypo; my mom had a nodule etc. so I guess it is in the family) and my understanding is that ultimately what counts is not just the numbers on the test results but how you feel. I had to see two different doctors until one of them took my concerns seriously. In my case, I responded to the synthroid well; I saw improvement in few weeks, but ultimately it took me one more adjustment of the dose to feel really good again. The level where you feel ultimately best varies from person to person, so you have to work with a doctor to find it I guess.
Anyway, hopefully you can see this new doctor, but remember to be your own advocate, if you are feeling not well, push it until you find someone who is willing to help you. Damn, I spent months doing nothing cause I was tired and sleepy all the time, I couldnt focus, I couldnt read. I couldnt even climb since I had so little energy. It was nightmare. I totally lagged behind in my dissertation work and now I am paying for it.
I hope you'll feel well soon. And (very late) congrats on the baby!

lhwang

Apr 23, 2008, 4:41 AM
Post #4 of 35 (12644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry you're having such a hard time.

What kind of doctor did you see? (family doctor? endocrinologist? ob/gyn?)

Subclinical hypothyroidism is a tricky issue and it has a very specific definition. There is still a lot of debate as to whether we should be treating subclinical hypothyroidism (ie T4 levels are normal, but TSH is greater than 3). There are lots of possible explanations for your symptoms and if your T4 levels and TSH levels are perfectly normal and you're still feeling crappy, maybe it's something else. I'm not saying this is you, but I often see patients who glom onto hypothyroidism as The Cause for their vague symptoms, insist on escalating doses of thyroid meds despite normal lab values, and refuse to consider other possibilities. Lots of people feel fantastic when they're slightly hyperthyroid... it's a great feeling, but too much thyroid hormone can be bad too.

Just be very careful with jumping around from doctor to doctor. I would go back to the same doctor you saw initially (not the douchebag), express your concerns and see if he or she can refer you to someone else. Every time you switch doctors, you lose continuity of care.

NDs can be great, but there is still limited evidence supporting what they do. I don't know if I would take that chance if I had cancer (or am I misunderstanding about the FNA?)

(and of course, this is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice).

limeydave

Apr 23, 2008, 5:45 PM
Post #5 of 35 (12591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xgretax wrote:
I usually try not to post problems of the personal nature online, especially on this site. However, desperation is a fucked up thing...

So, as can be gathered by the title, I am in thyroid hell. I gave birth to my daughter 10 months ago and have yet to loose a pound permanently (meaning I lost some and gained it back). Has anyone had to deal with this? I'm just looking for more ideas and options for my treatment.

So, my brief story:

I breastfeed, eat when I can and as well as I can. For months I cut out absolutely everything that inhibits thyroid function and stresses the adrenals. No response. I exercise as often and effectively as I can. Nothing works, so I went to the dr and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and referred to another dr who put my on synthroid. Not to mention the nodule and the biopsy. It has been 5 months and I have not responded to the synthroid (yes, I know it can take a long time). My dr wouldn't discuss any other treatment options with me and only looks to the labs, not considering how I feel. I also gathered up my med records and found that the cancer they told me I didn't have was still a real concern, given the types of cells present in the biopsy (fna) (love what they don't tell you) So out of money and out of patience, I stopped seeing that incompetent douchebag.

I realized that one of my good friends has had a pretty hardcore battle with graves disease and he recommended his ND. Still out of cash, I sold my old (read: skinny) clothes to my friends and came up with some money to go see the guy. Yes, I cried. I have yet to make the appointment as I am waiting until after I defend my thesis.

So basically, my question to those of you out there that have dealt with a similar situation, what worked for you? I know it may not work for me, but I'm working on getting together a bigger arsenal of treatment options to discuss with the ND.

TMad

Sorry to jump in on a ladies room thread, but I've been around this issue for a long time.

My ex-wife, her mom, her sister and my dad all have thyroid problems.
All are on medication and it took them all a while to find the right dose.

The key seems to be finding a doc that cares enough and knows enough to help you get the dose right for you.

My dad recently took his doc some research info he got from Australia to help them both get the dose right - the doc took the info and dad feels much better.

If i can get the info I'll post it - it may come in useful - good luck!

xgretax

Apr 23, 2008, 7:02 PM
Post #6 of 35 (12578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
greta- i was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism last fall, and though i didnt have the weight battles you have had, (my mom did, exact same situation), i have finally picked up after feeling like crap forever.

i have two immediate comments to your concerns in this post, and they are

1- synthroid doesnt work for some people, there is more than one kind of drug, and if you dont feel improved, you should ask to try others. they get them from different sources, or bind them with different things, and some of them are dyed with god knows what, and you might be reacting poorly. also, check what you are actually taking. it probably isnt synthroid, it is probably a generic. different pharmacies may use different generics for the same drugs, and you should check into that.

2- it shouldn't take five months. it should take 2-3 months to to reach maximal effectiveness.

3. your TSH should really be under 2.5, though some doctors will tell you it is ok if it is under 5. i recommend doing some research on that, as i think i read that heard problems are associated with sustained elevated tsh.

4. if you still feel like crap, and your doctor doesn't care, you are definitely doing the right thing seeing another doctor. they should listen to you, not just look at the labs. when i started treatment, i felt a lot better, and i went back for my checkup a few months later, and the doc was like, oh, your numbers look much better, but most ppl feel best if they're still a little lower. want to try a bit more? (obviously with the disclaimer of list of symptoms that would indicate i'm taking too much and should come back in) but the stepped up dose again had a noticeable difference in feeling. i dont know if i would have made it through my first year of gradschool without getting that treated. i slept *all the time.* and you cant, with the baby.

if you wanna talk more, feel free to call me.

1. I made sure that I was NOT getting a generic brand. Before I started treatment, I knew that not all people react to synthroid. I've suggested Amrour (sp) and my doctor at the time was not to amped on trying anything but synthroid.

2.Some of the research that I've done has yielded a 4 day-to 6 month time frame. I'm not convinced at all that it should take that much time. Especially since I've had new symptoms pop up in the mean time (carpal tunnel, arthritis, etc).

3. I concur. However, the Drs office thought I was shifting to Hyper when I hit the 2-3 range. WTF? I didn't go to med school, but I'm an anal enough researcher to be well versed in the current lit.

4.One of my symptoms is severe memory lapse. And I mean severe. I accidentally doubled my dose one day and the CTS in my left hand went away and was greatly diminished in my right. I haven't doubled up again, and guess what's back.

xgretax

Apr 23, 2008, 7:09 PM
Post #7 of 35 (12577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olive] thyroid hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olive wrote:
Hey Greta,
Dont have too much to add but to say you are on the right track in seeking out a different doctor. I dealt with some thyroid issues myself (in my case it is hashimitos which has the same symptoms as hypo; my mom had a nodule etc. so I guess it is in the family) and my understanding is that ultimately what counts is not just the numbers on the test results but how you feel. I had to see two different doctors until one of them took my concerns seriously. In my case, I responded to the synthroid well; I saw improvement in few weeks, but ultimately it took me one more adjustment of the dose to feel really good again. The level where you feel ultimately best varies from person to person, so you have to work with a doctor to find it I guess.
Anyway, hopefully you can see this new doctor, but remember to be your own advocate, if you are feeling not well, push it until you find someone who is willing to help you. Damn, I spent months doing nothing cause I was tired and sleepy all the time, I couldnt focus, I couldnt read. I couldnt even climb since I had so little energy. It was nightmare. I totally lagged behind in my dissertation work and now I am paying for it.
I hope you'll feel well soon. And (very late) congrats on the baby!

Man, everyone's thyroid is shittin the bed. environmental pollutants? perhaps? anyhow, I'm glad that you responded well to synthroid and have progressed with your dissertation. i'm defending next week and man, has it been a battle. I'll probably blank out up there and forget that i spent a good hunk of my life in the woods.

as far as doctors go, i don't completely discount conventional medicine. I'm also not the lazy patient. I do my research and hire a doctor to help me. But if i'm treated like an uneducated barcode, then your ass is getting kicked to the curb. I've heard great things about this ND and he has managed to level out my friend with graves in less than a year (and I've known this guy for 10 years and no one has been able to do shit for him).

thanks, i'll have to send you photos of the bug. she's the cutest!

Partner camhead

Apr 23, 2008, 7:14 PM
Post #8 of 35 (12573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Greta, sorry about all that BS you're dealing with. And, best of luck with the thesis defense! Give my best to Mike, Junie, Rooster, Kosch, and the rest.

(ducks out of ladies' room)

limeydave

Apr 23, 2008, 7:17 PM
Post #9 of 35 (12572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [limeydave] thyroid hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

‘Normal’ TSH
ALUN STEVENS MSc FIAA

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION AT THYROID AUSTRALIA HOME

The most common questions that Thyroid Australia is asked involve the interpretation of Thyroid Function Tests (TFT’s). Many people have been told that their TFT results are ‘normal’. So what is ‘normal’? In this article we will focus on the test for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) which is the most common test ordered.
The ‘normal’ Reference Range for the test is intended to represent the range of values which can be expected in the healthy population – ie those without any thyroid ailment. The Reference Range is found by taking a sample population of healthy individuals and determining their TSH levels. The lowest and highest 2.5% of readings are excluded so that the Reference Range covers 95% of the healthy population. There are a number of different tests for TSH with different levels of sensitivity. They each have their own Reference Range. The most common tests generally have lower limits to their Reference Ranges around 0.2 to 0.5 mIU/L and upper limits from 3.5 to 5.0 mIU/L.
A recent study in Norway provides a good example of the use of the TSH test in practice.1 The study involved 65,000 people. They were asked questions about their thyroid status and those with a history of thyroid illness were excluded. The blood samples were tested for Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (which are an indicator of likely thyroid illness) if they produced a TSH reading greater than 4. Samples with positive antibody results were also excluded. The survey, therefore, attempted to exclude people with any indication of thyroid illness, but still included those with Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies whose TSH reading was 4 or less. The TSH test kit used for the study had a nominated Reference Range of 0.2 to 4.5 mIU/L.
The results for women are shown in the chart. The results for men were only slightly different.

The features of this result are:
• The distribution of TSH readings in the healthy population is skew. It is not the common bell shaped curve centred in the middle of the reference range.
• The most common value, or Mode, is at 1.25.
• The Median value is at 1.50. This means that half the population (50%) have a TSH reading below 1.50.
• The average, or Mean, value is at 1.68. Over 60% of the population have a TSH reading below this value.
• The centre of the Reference Range for the test kit used in the study is 2.35. Almost 85% of the healthy population have a TSH reading below this value.
• The 2.5 percentile point (ie the point which excludes the bottom 2.5% of the population) is at 0.48. The 97.5 percentile point (ie the point which excludes the top 2.5% of the population) is at 3.6. The range between the 2.5 and 97.5 percentile points (0.48 to 3.6) is much narrower than the test kit’s Reference Range (0.2 TO 4.5).
• This narrowing of the range would suggest that the reference group used to calibrate the test kit possibly included people with some level of thyroid illness.
• This narrowing of the range between the 2.5 and 97.5 percentile points would potentially have been even more pronounced if all samples had been tested for Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies.
The conclusions which can be drawn from this survey are:
• TSH results in the upper half of the Reference Range have a low probability of being ‘normal’. This does not mean that they are not ‘normal’. It means that they are unlikely to be ‘normal’.
• The Reference Ranges for TSH tests are potentially too wide, especially at the upper end. This suggests that ‘high normal’ TSH readings should possibly be treated with more suspicion than they currently appear to be.
• The centre of the Reference Range is clearly not a good target point because very few of the healthy population have TSH readings around this point.
• A much better target point would be around 1.0 to 1.5. But some people will feel better at higher levels or lower levels. This supports Prof Jim Stockigt’s view that the target should be a TSH reading around 1.0.2
Another important point which needs to be borne in mind when interpreting statistics like these is that it is the population which has a range of values with probabilities for each reading. Each healthy individual is only at one of the points. They are ‘normal’ when they are at that point. For those on thyroxine replacement, being in the Reference Range is not good enough in itself. You need to be at your own set point. This will probably be near the lower end of the Reference Range.
This analysis of the distribution of TSH readings in the healthy population supports our recommendations to thyroid patients:
• Obtain a photocopy of all your Thyroid Function Tests. Also get copies of the ones you have had done in the past. These copies will show both the readings and the Reference Ranges.
• When you are going for a new test, make a note of how you feel (especially make a note of any of the major symptoms of thyroid overactivity or underactivity), your weight and your dose. When you obtain your copy of the test result, write this information on the copy. Over time, this process will allow you to make an informed judgement in consultation with your doctor of what the correct set point is for you.
• Do not accept that a Thyroid Function Test is 'normal' just because the result is within the Reference Range if you are still feeling unwell.

References
1. T Bjøro et al, 'Prevalence of thyroid disease, thyroid dysfunction and thyroid peroxidase antibodies in a large, unselected population. The Health Study of Nord-Trøndelag (HUNT).' European Journal of Endocrinology 2000 143 639-647. Download here.
2. J Stockigt, 'Subclinical Hypothyroidism or Mild Thyroid Failure: How important is early diagnosis and what treatment is optimal?' Interview With Sigma Pharmaceutical 2001 http://web.archive.org/web/20040606132447/http://www.thyroid.org.au/Information/Stockigt.html. Accessed 30 December 2001.
Alun Stevens is an actuary with his own consultancy. He is also Secretary of Thyroid Australia
This article is published in our newsletter Thyroid Flyer Volume 3 Number 1 January 2002.
This article can be reproduced provided it is reproduced in full, acknowledges the source and is not sold for profit.

(c) Copyright 2001, Thyroid Australia Limited ABN 71 094 832 023
PO Box 2575 Fitzroy Delivery Centre, Victoria 3065, Australia
Thyroid Australia Home-http://web.archive.org/web/20040606132447/http://www.thyroid.org.au/
Attachments: tsh.JPG (74.4 KB)

xgretax

Apr 23, 2008, 7:26 PM
Post #10 of 35 (12569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] thyroid hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
Sorry you're having such a hard time.

What kind of doctor did you see? (family doctor? endocrinologist? ob/gyn?)

Subclinical hypothyroidism is a tricky issue and it has a very specific definition. There is still a lot of debate as to whether we should be treating subclinical hypothyroidism (ie T4 levels are normal, but TSH is greater than 3). There are lots of possible explanations for your symptoms and if your T4 levels and TSH levels are perfectly normal and you're still feeling crappy, maybe it's something else. I'm not saying this is you, but I often see patients who glom onto hypothyroidism as The Cause for their vague symptoms, insist on escalating doses of thyroid meds despite normal lab values, and refuse to consider other possibilities. Lots of people feel fantastic when they're slightly hyperthyroid... it's a great feeling, but too much thyroid hormone can be bad too.

Just be very careful with jumping around from doctor to doctor. I would go back to the same doctor you saw initially (not the douchebag), express your concerns and see if he or she can refer you to someone else. Every time you switch doctors, you lose continuity of care.

NDs can be great, but there is still limited evidence supporting what they do. I don't know if I would take that chance if I had cancer (or am I misunderstanding about the FNA?)

(and of course, this is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice).

Thanks for your reply! When all of this was discovered (plus I had my suspicions), I understood that this was not going to be an easy fix. I have quite a few friends that have experienced thyroid problems (from cancer, to hashimotos, to grave's, and hypothyroidism). And all of them have had difficult times. Most of them responded well to whatever was initially prescribed (mostly synthroid). However, the Grave's person did not. And it has taken him nearly a decade to get to a stable place and the ND helped him do it.

As for your questions: The first type of doc i saw was an OB/GYN and then was referred to an ENT and subsequently the radiologist and pathologist that dealt with the nodule issue. The ENT came highly recommended but hasn't really been working for me for many reasons. Anyhow, in addition to the ND, I've had several recommendations regarding and endo in Ogden.

As you've mentioned, the possibility of cancer is daunting. So even though they are connected, I'm separating the nodule from the rest of my symptoms and seeing the ND for those and endo for the nodule. The ENT had a pretty 'hand-off' attitude towards the nodule, even though in his notes, he was concerned. His recommendation was to schedule another ultrasound in a year. A YEAR! the recommendation and his notes just don't match up.

anyhow, hopefully, this is just a transient thing associated with pregnancy and the pathologist messed up a bit.

xgretax

Apr 23, 2008, 8:02 PM
Post #11 of 35 (12563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Limey,
Thanks! that's a really great synopsis and coincides pretty well with what I've come up with in my lit review.

limeydave

Apr 24, 2008, 1:31 AM
Post #12 of 35 (12521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xgretax wrote:
Limey,
Thanks! that's a really great synopsis and coincides pretty well with what I've come up with in my lit review.

My Dad agreed - his count was 4.0 after a few months and he still felt crap, doc said he was 'normal'.
After this they upped his dose, count went closer to 1.0 and he feels better.
Good luck.

clausti

Apr 24, 2008, 1:45 AM
Post #13 of 35 (12518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

limeydave wrote:
xgretax wrote:
Limey,

My Dad agreed - his count was 4.0 after a few months and he still felt crap, doc said he was 'normal'.
Good luck.

my doctor told me "most ppl feel best under 2." this was when we were changing my dose from "better that sleeping 16 hours a day" to "fully functional."

oh, and greta, you might already be doing this, but i found i got attention a lot faster when i came in with two weeks worth of sleep, food, and exercise data then just when i came in and was like "i'm tired all. the time."

(This post was edited by clausti on Apr 24, 2008, 1:48 AM)

xgretax

Apr 24, 2008, 3:01 AM
Post #14 of 35 (12498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
limeydave wrote:
xgretax wrote:
Limey,

Good luck.

my doctor told me "most ppl feel best under 2." this was when we were changing my dose from "better that sleeping 16 hours a day" to "fully functional."

oh, and greta, you might already be doing this, but i found i got attention a lot faster when i came in with two weeks worth of sleep, food, and exercise data then just when i came in and was like "i'm tired all. the time."

yeah, did that. gave him my stats. he looked at them for about 2 seconds handed them back. continued on his little speech. i asked him if i could do anything differently and what additional adjustments to my diet I should make. His reply "you shouldn't have to do anything differently." Obviously, that planted the incompetence seed in my head.

(This post was edited by xgretax on Apr 24, 2008, 3:03 AM)

clee03m

Apr 24, 2008, 4:30 AM
Post #15 of 35 (12482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry you feel aweful. I can't imagine what that must be like. Hope you feel better.

Curious, though, what's an ND?

lhwang

Apr 24, 2008, 5:38 AM
Post #16 of 35 (12471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, so here's my recommendation then... go see an endocrinologist. No offense to ENTs, because I think they're generally awesome all around, but they're surgeons. They're not internists. Seriously, go see an endocrinologist, preferably one who specializes in thyroid issues.

Best of luck.

xgretax

Apr 24, 2008, 3:28 PM
Post #17 of 35 (12317 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] thyroid hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
I'm sorry you feel aweful. I can't imagine what that must be like. Hope you feel better.

Curious, though, what's an ND?

ND = naturopathic doctor

Thanks, I'll get better. It'll just take lots of time and lots of effort.

mischief8

May 16, 2008, 4:23 PM
Post #18 of 35 (12117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope you can get this figured out because god knows I have been having the same struggle since my son was born (5 years). I didn't even know what hypothyroidism was until I was diagnosed with it. I don't take synthroid. The stuff I do take started working within a couple of weeks. Losing the weight however took longer. I still have trouble if I don't watch myself with the weight. I am not sure if you said you had an adrenal insufficiency/problem, which could also be contributing to how crappy you feel. I have both so I have to be pretty strict on my diet and stress levels. The only suggestion I can make is seeing an endocrinologist better yet one who practices holistic medicine. Like clausti said bring a log of what you feel, ate, moods, etc. Also a good website for information on adrenal and thyroid diseases and how to take control is:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Good luck and I hope you figure it out!

Partner cracklover

May 22, 2008, 7:28 PM
Post #19 of 35 (11848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Greta, thanks for posting, and hope you feel better soon!

I've had several bouts with thyroid issues myself. Graves disease (hyperthyroid, rather than hypo.) Almost had a heart attack or stroke at 27! I kid you not, they were putting me on beta blockers!

Anyway, find a good endochrynologist (sp?), it can make a world of difference. Hope you feel better soon!

GO

xgretax

Nov 20, 2008, 9:53 PM
Post #20 of 35 (11387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] thyroid hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

an update:

hopefully a short and sweet one. Armour is working better, but still need a higher dose. My adrenals are also shot...Addison's has not been ruled out. therefore, I've been put on low doses of different hormones, lots of supplements because my body is blocking and binding up medications rendering them ineffective. My blood is pretty messed up...basically what little blood i do have lacks the ability to much carry oxygen (low ferritin). i'm not supposed to exercise and i'm supposed to eat MEAT. lots of MEAT.
hmmm. this no exercise thing sucks. but it isn't like i have any endurance...thanks a lot crappy blood and ghetto booty. booo.

my choice of care provider--the ND thank god! the ENTs and Endos=no change at all.

olive

Nov 21, 2008, 2:58 PM
Post #21 of 35 (11357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xgretax wrote:
an update:

hopefully a short and sweet one. Armour is working better, but still need a higher dose. My adrenals are also shot...Addison's has not been ruled out. therefore, I've been put on low doses of different hormones, lots of supplements because my body is blocking and binding up medications rendering them ineffective. My blood is pretty messed up...basically what little blood i do have lacks the ability to much carry oxygen (low ferritin). i'm not supposed to exercise and i'm supposed to eat MEAT. lots of MEAT.
hmmm. this no exercise thing sucks. but it isn't like i have any endurance...thanks a lot crappy blood and ghetto booty. booo.

my choice of care provider--the ND thank god! the ENTs and Endos=no change at all.

Greta, good to hear that things are getting better. So do you know the reason of those blood problems?

clausti

Nov 21, 2008, 4:24 PM
Post #22 of 35 (11344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xgretax wrote:
an update:

whoah, you're NOT supposed to exercise? that sucks.

and seems really counterintuitive? seems like if they tell you to eat MEAT and lots of MEAT :) that you would should be like, walking farther every day to make your blood better at carrying oxygen? i dunno.

glad to hear that you are feeling at least somewhat better, though.

-cla

xgretax

Nov 26, 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #23 of 35 (11293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll try and keep this short and non-technical.

olive, the issue with my blood is caused by my adrenal glands' inability to produce proper amounts of the proper hormones...decreased blood volume, irregular heartbeats, weak heart...blah blah.

the exercise thing is also linked to the adrenal glands. basically, i am physiologically unable to deal with any type of stress, including physical stress. I'm not supposed to ride my bike, do my any of my circuits, and so on. Clausti, as you suggested, I am supposed to walk (although, i really don't consider that exercise). It is counter intuitive, but in combination with all of my drugs and supplements, it has helped with my depression, complete mental fog, and I've lost a little bit of that damned baby weight (17 months later!!!! grrr), but have a long way to go.

meat...part of my hormone and iron troubles may have come from a gnarly fat and fatty-acid deficiency, heavy periods, and a fairly laborious childbirth. obviously, cholesterol is the base for hormone synthesis (adrenals, thyroid, pituitary...blah blah). essentially, this is a huge negative feed-back loop which has destroyed my thyroid and adrenal glands. iron rich foods (meats, certain dark leafy greens) will help with the ferritin issues, which will in turn allow my body to more efficiently absorb and use supplements and synthetics.

if you have anymore questions or i did a poor job explaining, i can direct you to some papers. umm more research blahhh.

marebear

Dec 4, 2008, 8:50 PM
Post #24 of 35 (11163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Thyroid Hell". I'm in it. Thanks for sharing your experiences all, good to know I'm not the only one.

(This post was edited by marebear on Dec 10, 2008, 8:38 PM)

xgretax

Dec 10, 2008, 9:28 PM
Post #25 of 35 (11079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marebear] thyroid hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

that sucks. let me know if i can help in anyway. just remember to trust that you know your body better than some bullshit lab range.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook