RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

sbird

May 29, 2008, 9:22 PM
Post #1 of 15 (10465 views)
Shortcut

Rumney forest fire May 28
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone have any updated information on the forest fire in Rumney and access issues? What's below is all I've seen.

news story:
http://tinyurl.com/6s5pu6

pics:
http://tinyurl.com/5f7vtd

captromalley

May 29, 2008, 10:24 PM
Post #2 of 15 (10443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbird] Rumney forest fire May 28 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No climbing today. (29th) The ranger didn't have an idea of when it would be open but it sure is a huge bummer especially since the fire is no where near the parking lot wall, 5.8 crag and other such climbs in that area. Definetly make sure before you head up , if it is a drive for you.

jakedatc

May 29, 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #3 of 15 (10425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [captromalley] Rumney forest fire May 28 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From Jay Knower over on Mtn project.. plus it looks like rain for the weekend so it's proably not the weekend to head up there
In reply to:
I just talked to the people hanging out at the Rumney parking lot (Forest Service and fire fighters) and, to reitterate what Mark said, Rumney is closed tomorrow. After tomorrow, when it opens back up depends upon how quickly things go up there.

Partner jammer

May 30, 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #4 of 15 (10409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Rumney forest fire May 28 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was to meet Rich at the parking lot this morning at 7 and noticed what seemed to be a cloud over the Main Cliff. I set it aside, thinking it was some real weird type of fog. I had not heard about the fire until I pulled into the parking lot and was turned away by a ranger waiting in his trucks for climbers to arrive.

Here are a couple of links with a slide show and video.

WMUR Channel 9 (links from NEClimbs newsletter)
http://www.wmur.com/...16416978/detail.html
http://www.wmur.com/...16423551/detail.html

But all was not lost ...

We headed up to Cathedral for some nice trad. The black flies was sick. Bring bug repellent if you decide to hit the crags!

jakedatc

May 31, 2008, 1:49 AM
Post #5 of 15 (10296 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] Rumney forest fire May 28 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably closed for the weekend

/rain dance

Partner jammer

May 31, 2008, 2:13 AM
Post #6 of 15 (10287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If we had scheduled the Ruckus for this weekend, it would rain.

From weather.com

May 30 Tonight
Overcast with showers at times. Low around 50F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

May 31 Tomorrow
Rain early...then remaining cloudy with thundershowers developing in the afternoon. High 68F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Rainfall near a half an inch.

May 31 Tomorrow night
Scattered thunderstorms during the evening, then partly cloudy overnight. Low 53F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Jun 1 Sunday
Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the mid 40s.

jakedatc

May 31, 2008, 2:25 AM
Post #7 of 15 (10284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] Rumney forest fire May 28 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yep.. get those guys doing their anti rain dance that works OH so well. They were dumping buckets from the choppers today

Looks like some guys from RCA have volunteered to help bring gear down once things are put out. Props to the locals who can get up there for helping

Partner jammer

May 31, 2008, 1:34 PM
Post #8 of 15 (10235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, I've been following the thread on NEClimbs also. I saw where Rich offered to help, but was told that they were not accepting any help until it was over.

All it did here in Lebanon was sprinkle. Hope it poured in Rumney.

See ya Soon, Jake!

captromalley

May 31, 2008, 2:53 PM
Post #9 of 15 (10219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbird] Rumney forest fire May 28 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not really having anything to do with rumney but, when something like this happens again, which probably won't , there is a pretty narly place to climb about 20 or so minutes farther up 25. Also good if you go to rumney and it is way to jam packed as is usually the case on weekends. Anywho, for those who don't know about it, it is certainly worth checkin out, especially if you like trad and slab. you can see it from the road and is probably a around a 1000 foot face sticken up.

jakedatc

Jun 5, 2008, 1:47 AM
Post #10 of 15 (9884 views)
Shortcut

Re: [captromalley] Rumney forest fire May 28 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey.. some good news.. the perigine chick and parents seem to have come away unharmed and still going strong.
In reply to:
What was of more concern, she explained, was the effect the noisy and water-dropping helicopters would have on the nesting birds. Apparently, neither the fire nor the operation in place to battle it affected the falcon family since an adult falcon was spotted approaching the scrape after foraging for food, according to Long.

Biologist Clara Weloth of the U.S. Forest Service said the chick will remain in the nest for several more weeks until it gets its plumage. The chick "was pretty feisty" on Monday, she said, when members of the New Hampshire Audubon Society and a Rumney rock climbing group made their way to the next to band the bird's leg.
http://www.unionleader.com/...0c-9f86-63a7e8237e9d

BC2VT

Jun 5, 2008, 1:57 PM
Post #11 of 15 (9802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone know if I can pull on some rock @ rumney on Saturday?

And I would absolutely love to know what started the fire and who's ass I need to kick.

Partner epoch

Jun 5, 2008, 2:14 PM
Post #12 of 15 (9793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BC2VT] Rumney forest fire May 28 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BC2VT wrote:
anyone know if I can pull on some rock @ rumney on Saturday?

And I would absolutely love to know what started the fire and who's ass I need to kick.

They are keeping much closer tabs on the situation at http://www.neclimbs.com. Also if you look up the WMNF web page they are posting information. I would assume that Rumney won't be open until mop up efforts are finished.

BC2VT

Jun 5, 2008, 2:19 PM
Post #13 of 15 (9790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Rumney forest fire May 28 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the info.
On the note about the peregrines- I find it fascinating that the peregrine chick doesn't get bothered by a forest fire and helicopters dumping tons of h20!
But god forbid a climber goes near it! (do these birds have any sense of priorities?! geeeezzz!)

charley

Jun 5, 2008, 9:51 PM
Post #14 of 15 (9721 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BC2VT] Rumney forest fire May 28 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the release from the USFS

Rumney Rocks Climbing Area Open to the Public

Rumney Rocks Climbing Area and Rattlesnake Mountain Trail are reopeningto the public effective Friday, June 6, 2008.

White Mountain National Forest staff caution hikers and climbers using recreation areas within the area burned during the Rattlesnake Fire in Rumney, NH, must be aware of possible hazards resulting from the fire: snags or standing dead trees, loose rocks, and unstable trail edges. A fire in 1992 in this same area left many snags, standing dead and weakened trees; this new fire consumed many of these existing snags and brought others down.

The incident safety officer, George Pozzuto warned that any of these old snags and as well as previously healthy trees affected by this new fire may come down with no warning. Hikers and climbers in the fire area should not grab onto small trees as the trees may be easily pull out of the ground. Pozzuto also warned that rocks and trail edges may be loose and unstable due to the fire consuming organic matter around them andbelow the surface of the soil. The soil surface may look level, but may collapse when stepped on.

Climbers returning to the crags in the Orange Crush, Bonsai, Main Cliff, and Darth Vader areas should be aware that previously exiting bolts,carabineers, slings, quick draws and anchors may no longer be stable.
Hikers and climbers are asked to check the White Mountain National Forest’s webpage for updates. www.fs.fed.us/r9/white

BC2VT

Jun 6, 2008, 4:36 PM
Post #15 of 15 (9614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Rumney forest fire May 28 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's great news! Thanks to all those who have been working on the fire down there. Smile

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook