RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

Buurin

Jun 3, 2008, 5:31 AM
Post #1 of 10 (12670 views)
Shortcut

Homemade primo slings.. Safe?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just ordered a cam buckle to make adjustable tree slings (http://www.slacklineexpress.com/zipslings.htm)

My question is: If you look at the photo of the slings @ the link above you'll notice the carabiner gets loaded from 3 different directions (2 from the sling, and one from the slackline--not pictured)

I setup lowlines but my trick lines are very very tight and I pull my long(80ft) lines with 4 people using 2 wooden dowels clove hitched on the pulling end of the line -- my point is we have a lot of leverage.

Is the fact the biners are loaded like this an issue?

I am trying to figure out how to re-rig my slings such that they load the biner only across the major axis.

The rig here (http://www.slacklineexpress.com/...o.php?products_id=99) looks good if you replace the ratchet with a carabiner however I dont think I can pull this off with ZipSlings -- Can I?

(This post was edited by Buurin on Jun 9, 2008, 4:55 AM)

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 3, 2008, 5:26 PM
Post #2 of 10 (12624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Buurin] ZipSlings(Adjustable Slings) Load Carabiner bad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, since it sounds like you are essentially home making a copy of our slings you didn't get the instructions that outline their uses. We've heavily tested our zip slings and they've proven fine as long as their angle is low (45 degrees or less) which helps minimize the tri-loading effect. It's not perfect but it works. That's why we've moved to the primo slings for a more robust setup. In the recommended zip sling configuration the slings are rated at 2,000 lbs tensile test. The angle however is key.

That said if you are rigging excessively tight lines the primo sling design is far better as it eliminates a potential point of failure, has no tri loading and is a very strong yet easy to use system. If you bought the cam buckle to make a zip sling you could reuse it to make a primo sling.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Jun 3, 2008, 7:30 PM)

Buurin

Jun 3, 2008, 7:50 PM
Post #3 of 10 (12582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] ZipSlings(Adjustable Slings) Load Carabiner bad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the quick reply Joe.

I ordered the cam buckle with webbing attached, which is marketed as being useful for making adjustable slings.

While the documentation that comes with the buckle details how to make an adjustable sling, it does not outline the issue of tri-loading when using such a setup. I just happeend to be aware of the angle issue however many people who order might not be aware so it may be useful in the future to include the documentation from the ZipSlings with cam buckle orders.

So to use my current cam buckles w/ webbing attached as a primo sling, what do I do?

It seem as if I need to tie my sling to the buckle where there is currently a piece a webbing sewn on then simply thread the loose end of the sling through the locking mechanism of the buckle? If this is correct, any suggestion on the type of knot to tie the sling to the buckle?

Thanks again for the quick reply & good service.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 3, 2008, 8:02 PM
Post #4 of 10 (12576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Buurin] ZipSlings(Adjustable Slings) Load Carabiner bad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are doing it as a D-I-Y job you'd basically be looking at a 10-12ft sling with the cam buckle tied to the end. If you want to go in that configuration then you won't need the sewn ringlet. Just wrap it around the tree and feed it back through the cam buckle.

Bowlines are good, so are overhands on a bight - you won't be untying the knot later.

By the way, the high density hose we slide on the webbing isn't just for looks. It's there to remove nylon-on-nylon wear.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Jun 3, 2008, 9:42 PM)

Buurin

Jun 9, 2008, 4:54 AM
Post #5 of 10 (12490 views)
Shortcut

Is this solution safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Took some pics of my new tree sling setup.

For my tree slings:
I tied a cam buckle to an end of the sling webbing(not pictured). Ran the free end of the sling through the cam buckle'd locking mechanism(not pictured). This forms a tight loop of webbing around the tree.

I cut a 6" piece of bike tire inner tube & cleaned it of any residue. This is used & seen the photos to prevent nylon on nylon wear.

I took a 6" sewn sling, rated at 27kN and looped it around the tree sling. This is my attactchment point for the carabiner.

The result: The carabiner is loaded only from 2 directions.

My concern... The 6" sewn sling which attaches to the carabiner visually looks sketchy since its so small, however it is rated at 27kN.

Anyone see any issues with this setup?

(This post was edited by Buurin on Jun 9, 2008, 7:07 PM)

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 9, 2008, 3:06 PM
Post #6 of 10 (12426 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Buurin] Is this solution safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Your pictures didn't show up but it sounds perfectly safe. You avoid a lot of big issues as there is no nylon on nylon wear, no knots, no cross loading angles, no tri loading angles and such.

I'd go with as short of a sling as possible to keep the system's swing weight as close to the tree as possible to reduce line interferance but otherwise sounds like your golden. If you don't have a shorter sling you can double or even tripple the sling first to shorten it up.

Buurin

Jun 9, 2008, 7:22 PM
Post #7 of 10 (12360 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Is this solution safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry about the pics, they're fixed now.

I tried to shorten the sling but it resulted in the carabiner, once tensioned, not laying flat. 6 inches isnt bad, i'm using a primitive system so theres not a lot of weight to swing anyway. If I move to pulleys ever I'll probably look into getting a super small sling.

What if I used a rap ring instead of a sling? I assume the metal-on-metal(carabiner & rap ring) wouldnt be good.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 9, 2008, 7:26 PM
Post #8 of 10 (12353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Metal on metal isn't good when it can be torqued around under load. That isn't the case under this scenario so it would be fine.

treemonkey

Jun 10, 2008, 1:50 AM
Post #9 of 10 (12297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have used Rap rings just in that way and they work great.

(This post was edited by treemonkey on Jun 13, 2008, 1:44 AM)

Buurin

Jun 12, 2008, 5:55 AM
Post #10 of 10 (12233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Is this solution safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I doubled up the slings now and it laid flat (I did it wrong the last time). Looks much better & closer to the tree.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook